Did Anyone See BRAVO'S 100 Funniest Movies? Is Anyone Pi**ed Off?

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I don't think you're a moron. And I think it's a discussable list, so a good thread.
There are a couple of films on there I think are indesputably hilarious - Something About Mary, for instance. Harold and Maude, for another. A lot of comedy rests on the audience having a full understanding of the subject... so different people find different topics funnyier than others. But yeah, there are some weird things about that list. It seems they surveyed a fairly narrow sampling of people, but I'd say the demographic seems to be young, American and not big on film in general. It's more a list of unavoidable american comedies than anything based on comedic (and certainly not intellectually comedic) merit.

Welcome to the human race...
What can I say? I more or less agree with Holden - there are plenty of good ones on the list, they're just ranked behind some crap.

Napoleon Dynamite at #14? Spare me.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by Iroquois
What can I say? I more or less agree with Holden - there are plenty of good ones on the list, they're just ranked behind some crap.

Napoleon Dynamite at #14? Spare me.
Well my list wouldn't have Napoleon Dynamite at all.
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Animal House is a funny movie, but number 1? God help me.

Movies that should have been on there:

Scary movie
Get shorty
Be cool
Jason X

Take all the laughs in the first four movies, put them together and you'd still have less than a tenth of the laughs in Airplane! or Blazing Saddles. It's depressing how many of those movies are stright up bad.

Where the hell on this list is One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest or Duck Soup? My respect for the staff and network that is Bravo has weared thin.

Shrek as #3 basically sh*ts on our intelligence and respect...

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Once again, you know nothing of the subject on which you have launched silly posts. There isn't a homo alive who'd claim to think Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is in the LEAST bit funny, or embrace a list that doesn't include The Birdcage as outstanding comedy. "99" my left one.
ahem...

Kind Hearts and Coronets missing? The original Ladykillers ignored? Wag the Dog absent? Harold and Maude gone? Dr. Strangelove at 53? Wow. Where's Grosse Pointe Blank?

Mind you, if this top 100 list is anything like the kind we get over here the idea is probably to appeal to as many people as possible. After all, Meet the Fockers or a black comedy classic like Harold and Maude, which grossed higher?

As for the Bravo target audience, according to Wikipedia it's:

"age 25-54, affluent, educated and tech-savvy males and females with high levels of disposable income and who are open-minded"

Sounds like your typical middle-class aspirationals and brooders to me. Anyway, the bravo channel over here is very much aimed at lads, lots of programmes like "When fast cars explode, with breasts".

Originally Posted by Lockheed Martin
Harold and Maude gone?
Actually, as bad as Bravo's list is, it does include Harold & Maude. It's way too low in the forties, but it is there.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Sad list, for sure.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Actually, as bad as Bravo's list is, it does include Harold & Maude. It's way too low in the forties, but it is there.
Oh. Well, it's still below Mrs. Doubtfire. Surely there's some sort of NATO taskforce around to stop this sort of thing happening.

Comedy is somthing that changes over time. That is why those older movies you mention were neglected. The humor in those films was funny in the time period in which it was released. However the type of comedy in those old movies have been reproduced and reused unto the point to where its gone stale, and "yesterdays news" and its just quite simply no longer funny. Just like those old movies like 1922's Nosferatu. It was a great movie but to view it today it sucks. Because the things it has in it that were new ideals at the time, now just seem cheap, cheasy, and cliche'. "What a beautiful neck she has" I mean come on. Some of those things in that movie have been so played out like crosses and holy water that the vampire movies of today make their vampires immune to those "Old wives tales". However at the time, such things were not such widespread. Also, you cant really do a "Funniest movies of all time." You'd have to break it down into smaller catagorys, such as "Funniest adult humor movies of all time", "Funnniest quirky humor movies of all time" to truley please the broader spectrum. That being said, why the hell didnt "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", and "Kingpin" make the list? Dumb and Dumber...I dont think i've ever laughed so hard at anything as I did in the scene where the toilet dont flush. You could just imagine the embarassment. And Monty Python and the Holy Grail definatly belongs on there. The bridge troll part still causes me to spew soda.
Although the Coyote is far supirior in intellect, Roadrunner always wins. Why is that? Wiley always puts forth his best effort, and no matter what, he always loses to a moron. I guess im sort of like Roadrunner. I just get by on dumb luck.

-The Collection-

Originally Posted by The Roadrunner
Comedy is somthing that changes over time. That is why those older movies you mention were neglected.

You know, the Canterbury Tales were written in the 14th century, and, guess what? They're still hilarious. Now, Duck Soup isn't quite that old, but it sure beats the hell out of There's Something About Mary in the make me laugh category.

The humor in those films was funny in the time period in which it was released. However the type of comedy in those old movies have been reproduced and reused unto the point to where its gone stale, and "yesterdays news" and its just quite simply no longer funny.
I'm thinking you're just not bright enough to 'get it.'

Just like those old movies like 1922's Nosferatu.
It was a great movie but to view it today it sucks.

And lo and behold, I was right (as usual). You sir, are an idiot.

Because the things it has in it that were new ideals at the time, now just seem cheap, cheasy, and cliche'.
I take it you've never actually seen Nosferatu?

Some of those things in that movie have been so played out like crosses and holy water that the vampire movies of today make their vampires immune to those "Old wives tales".
No, you see that's so that the movies can focus entirely on badly choreographed fight scenes, because, after all, 'Holy Water' = quaint, but Sword Fighting = cutting edge. People like you are a strong argument for eugenics.

That being said, why the hell didnt "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", and "Kingpin" make the list? Dumb and Dumber...I dont think i've ever laughed so hard at anything as I did in the scene where the toilet dont flush.
The phrase 'easily amused' leaps to mind here...

And Monty Python and the Holy Grail definatly belongs on there. The bridge troll part still causes me to spew soda.
Blind pigs and acorns...

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by The Roadrunner
Comedy is somthing that changes over time. That is why those older movies you mention were neglected. The humor in those films was funny in the time period in which it was released. However the type of comedy in those old movies have been reproduced and reused unto the point to where its gone stale, and "yesterdays news" and its just quite simply no longer funny. Just like those old movies like 1922's Nosferatu. It was a great movie but to view it today it sucks. Because the things it has in it that were new ideals at the time, now just seem cheap, cheasy, and cliche'. "What a beautiful neck she has" I mean come on. Some of those things in that movie have been so played out like crosses and holy water that the vampire movies of today make their vampires immune to those "Old wives tales". However at the time, such things were not such widespread. Also, you cant really do a "Funniest movies of all time." You'd have to break it down into smaller catagorys, such as "Funniest adult humor movies of all time", "Funnniest quirky humor movies of all time" to truley please the broader spectrum. That being said, why the hell didnt "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", and "Kingpin" make the list? Dumb and Dumber...I dont think i've ever laughed so hard at anything as I did in the scene where the toilet dont flush. You could just imagine the embarassment. And Monty Python and the Holy Grail definatly belongs on there. The bridge troll part still causes me to spew soda.

Don't agree, at all.