What Were You Like In High School?

Tools    

Pretty similar to how I am now, except at the time I had no idea who Joaquin Phoenix or Russell Crowe were (Quills and Gladiator came out the year after I graduated) and I didn't have any rats yet. I was introverted and bitchy. Obsessed with Fleetwood Mac and Tom Petty. I mostly wore jeans and black t-shirts with bands like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Doors, The Beatles, and Lynyrd Skynyrd on them. I spent my lunch money on CDs instead of food. I wrote short stories. I hung out with a bunch of gay people, band geeks, and other assorted social rejects. I procrastinated a lot and got bad grades. I was not popular at all and was the victim of nasty rumors (Depending on who you asked, I was either a gothic, devil-worshipping lesbian or a gothic devil-worshipping slut who was sleeping with every male friend I had).

My 20th reunion is coming up next year and I definitely will not be going. They can suck it.

Did anyone else have the experience that Senior year (or at least the second half) was kind of a joke?

Like, it was mostly just hanging out and preparing for graduation or teachers putting a lot of focus on getting into a college as opposed to sticking to a lesson plan? (Very little in regards to homework, or being lectured about tardiness, or given detention if found outside or in the hall without a pass.)

We kind of had the run of the school and there was a more relaxed attitude towards discipline regarding minor stuff (like the teachers figured: "This group will be out of our hair for good in a few months, let's focus on getting the lower grades in line.")?

By Senior year, I was in good with my art teachers (I won one of the art awards at graduation as well as the creative writing award) so I remember Senior year consisting mostly of going out to lunch with friends who could drive, and hanging out in the art room, sometimes with the art teachers, even when we were supposed to be in other classes!

Oh LORDT, the debacle when I decided to take wood shop as a subject. It was unheard of for a girl to do that. Once I did, another girl followed suit and that upset the powers that be, AND most of the boys.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yeah, senior year was pretty laid back here too. I was able to be a teaching assistant for 4th period so I chose my band director. She held beginner band for 5th and 6th graders. Most days I just had to walk the kids to and from the bandroom. Half the time three or four of the kids would try to ambush me into some weird wrestling match. Granted I was twice their sizes but every so often I'd catch a rogue knee to the face or groin.

Was fun. And my crush's lil brother was in that group so I always tried to give him favors to help him look cool with his friends thinking it might pay off for me with his older sis. Never worked though.

Oh LORDT, the debacle when I decided to take wood shop as a subject. It was unheard of for a girl to do that. Once I did, another girl followed suit and that upset the powers that be, AND most of the boys.
Really? When I was in elementary school I think wood shop and textile(?) started on 3rd grade and on first year everyone did half a year each and then decided which they wanted to continue. We had girls in wood shop every year in elementary school and junior high (I don't remember if there were boys in textile though).

Really? When I was in elementary school I think wood shop and textile(?) started on 3rd grade and on first year everyone did half a year each and then decided which they wanted to continue. We had girls in wood shop every year in elementary school and junior high (I don't remember if there were boys in textile though).
Different continents

September 11th, 2001 happened when I was a senior in high school.

I was in art class when the principal came on the intercom and announced that a plane flew into the World Trade Center. I then went to my journalism class (newspaper) and we watched the events unfold on a television. @Steve was there.
You're reminding me how old I am!
The WTC didn't even exist when I started Kindergarten! At that time, the Empire State Building was the tallest in the world!
I remember in grade school, seeing a "Weekly Reader" showing these two towers under construction!
I was a Construction Safety Coordinator at a Pharmaceutical site on 9/11/01!

Just for comparison: I was in the first year that my grammar school started integrating the genders (before that, only boys took wood shop and girls took home-economics).

Don't remember the exact year (sometime between 1974 - 1978).
Of course, there was a lot of scoffing on both sides as the girls infiltrated the Wood Shop and the boys first set food in the "Home-Ec" room. There were even some parents at the time who opposed the move, but it all blew over rather quickly.
I did learn how to sew in Home-Ec (both with needle & thread and with a sewing machine) - a skill set I have long since forgotten!

There were some metalheads at mine, they got furious when their original song performance lost in The Battle Of The Bands to some basketball players who lip-synced, air-guitarred, and air-drummed to a recording from 80s band "The Outfield." Those metalheads were like the @pahaK of my school. They probably should have won. Definitely feel like pahaK is the Horror MVP so far btw, with all his write-ups in his "Movie Diary 2018 by pahaK" thread.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I was the Judd Nelson character in The Breakfast Club

Only I got five days of Saturday School (detention) in six weeks.

Just for comparison: I was in the first year that my grammar school started integrating the genders (before that, only boys took wood shop and girls took home-economics).
We had home economics too but it was only on junior high and wasn't related to wood shop / textile pairing in any ways. I think it was mandatory for everyone and consisted mostly of cooking.

Don't remember the exact year (sometime between 1974 - 1978).
Of course, there was a lot of scoffing on both sides as the girls infiltrated the Wood Shop and the boys first set food in the "Home-Ec" room. There were even some parents at the time who opposed the move, but it all blew over rather quickly.
I did learn how to sew in Home-Ec (both with needle & thread and with a sewing machine) - a skill set I have long since forgotten!
Yeah, we'd have been behind ideologically as far wood shop/home economics was. I just took one class and thought it the dumbest class ever, so I asked to switch, not finding any official rule that said no.

One boy took home ec after I switched and the other girl followed. 😅 Totally messed up their gender comfort zone....

8th grade home economics one semester and wood shop the next. Mandatory. Our shop teacher was missing 3 fingers. We built a "magazine rack" which excited me because I was all about taking things apart and measuring and obsessing. I thought we were making a real wall mount rack. Turned out to just be a wooden basket that was more like a box with a cross beam for a handle. .5" MDF board pos. Weighed too much to bother carrying it home on the bus and looked dumb for the time it took to build.

I guess we learned to make cookies and wash dishes in HomeEc. One kid drank all our vanilla extract though.

Ok, question. Guys who took home ec, was your first lesson "how to clean a cupboard"?

That what made me switch. My parents made me do chores. I was WAY beyond cleaning cupboards.

I was the editor-in-chief of the literary magazine and I worked on the school newspaper.
That makes... SO much sense. Imagine a yearbook, formatted by Jase. Or a ScrapBook / Burn Book.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_n8g0s35mMX1rfduvxo1_500.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	50572  

I remember organizing a list of kitchen items. Learning measurements. Stuff like that. We watched a lot of safety videos. =/