The 100 favorite movies of Lines Palsy

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Prospero is kidding, Lawrence of Arabia is on his top 100 too . I wonder if he's seen Prospero's Books though?
I know, that's why I said it

EDIT

Lines - I noticed you have Popeye on your Top 10. Since from most accounts I've heard it's pretty crap, can you explain why you regard it so highly?

Lines - I noticed you have Popeye on your Top 10. Since from most accounts I've heard it's pretty crap, can you explain why you regard it so highly?
Well it's my second favorite film by my favorite director, so I obviously disagree that it's "pretty crap."

It's pretty awesome.

I've come to view a lot of the complaints I've read about it as hidden strengths.

It's a beautiful film with many standout images that speak for themselves, such as the early scene of Popeye rowing out of a storm at sea. I think much of what bothers people are things like the fact that the actors are all exaggerating all the time (Popeye's squint for example), the stunts and physical bits don't look effortless or spontaneous enough for a lot of payoff in gags and belly laughs. Mumbled dialog and singing. Personally I find these things make it more emotionally engaging and funny, seeing the risks everyone's taking. Before you accuse me of going soft or giving pity/art points to the unintentional pathos (it's real because it's bad), let me say that I think this is perfect Jules Feiffer (the guy who wrote the screenplay, an awesome satirical cartoonist/writer) material: an awkward mock-utopia with biting social satire and a text that also makes fun of itself. Cartoony in the best sense, reality making fun of itself through imagination and warmth rather than dodgy self-analysis, including poking fun at dodgy imagination and self-analysis. So yeah, I think the heart of the matter is that while these two general aspects of the film, the cartooniness and realism kind of contradict, they also enhance each other.

There are plenty of individual scenes and images that I love from this movie, but I'll just leave you with one that makes my heart smile repeatedly in ways that no other movie scene ever has:

Since you apparently haven't seen the movie I'll just give you some context for the scene: Olive is engaged to marry Bluto, a guy she really doesn't like but wants to convince herself (and convince everyone else that she is convinced) is a good match.

(sorry this is a pan-and-scan version of the clip but the widescreen one I found on youtube looked like it was edited down).

I haven't seen Trick or Treat but I can't imagine it's better than Tampopo.
Blasphemy!!!

Have you seen any of Juzo Itami's other films? Minbo almost made my list too. A Taxing Woman, A Taxing Woman's Return and The Funeral are all great.
No I haven't seen them but I'll add them to my ever growing list, Thanks!

would have to agree with you on that the first 2 episodes where pretty good but that last one was pure crap. however, I did like "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson" than "Cartman sucks" . but the 3rd one...i forget its name wow did that suck or i guess i should say man was that meecrob

I had to look twice to confirm, but I don't see Memento listed at all..

That's true. Many movies I like quite a bit didn't make it. But hey, don't complain, at least you made the team.

Hmm, looking back at the list I think I'd change quite a few rankings even in the highest ranking zones, and a lot/most of the movies on there I could trade for others without caring too much.

The conclusion that I've come to from doing so many of these sorts of lists is that while they're fun to do at the time I don't actually get that much out of them after-words. This one was way too time/effort-consuming, since most of the fun was in the frivolity of the initial selection-process.

That's true. Many movies I like quite a bit didn't make it. But hey, don't complain, at least you made the team.

Yeah, I know. I was well chuffed to find that there. Good on ya for including that majestic tale.

Hmm, looking back at the list I think I'd change quite a few rankings even in the highest ranking zones, and a lot/most of the movies on there I could trade for others without caring too much.
Yeah, i'm already starting to get that feeling. There are at leas two films I want to get rid off after seeing them again, and i've watched some really great films that could easily take their place now.

I love these threads. I think I like looking at others more than I like doing my own. When I look at others, I write a list of films that appear to sound good on paper. I'll then buy them and pray to god they are as good as said person has suggested. For me, it's almost like a magazine when I read these lists. It's just great.

I love how whatever list Prestige looks at, he always comments on whether or not you list Memento. He's almost like that guy who's obsessed with Mars Attacks!

I love how whatever list Prestige looks at, he always comments on whether or not you list Memento. He's almost like that guy who's obsessed with Mars Attacks!
He could never be as bad as Mar Attacks Guy

Who's Mars Attacks guy?
You haven't seen him?

His actual username is "Martian Leader". Do a search on any of his posts. He somehow finds a way of dragging Mars Attacks! into every single topic he posts in, much to the annoyance of just about everybody.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
First off, I think we should all acknowledge lines as MoFo's true anarchist. I realize that he may not want this adulation, but tough, you got it, Mister. I just watched Even Dwarfs Started Small, and I only now find that lines hasn't posted about it in here! I did read the two posts you commented about it. Now, I don't feel like I'm actually capable of commenting on Herzog's Even Dwarfs Started Small, but how can someone watch that film and not have to comment on something?

I'll try to go into more in-depth, but a few first impressions:

The film begins at a police station. Although we never see the police, they all seem to be dwarfs too, based on their voices. By the way, although the film starts with a flashback, we never actually get past the opening scene, so what was the point, Mr. Anarchist Herzog?

The setting is whack. Apparently, Herzog shot it in the Canary Isands, a place he considered comparable to the lunar landscape, but the music used in the film almost implies that it's elsewhere. The opening song begins as if it's Greek and then sung by an Arab, but apparently, it's sung by a young girl from the Canary Islands who Herzog approached to sing something haunting in a cave. The other main song is obviously a West African anthem, but once again, its use is probably political.

This Herzog film is almost impossible to describe. Herzog claims that it's "incredibly dark", but I've always found him to be a bit lacking in a sense of humor, since I think it's an absurdist comedy masquerading as something serious. Come on now, how can anybody consider the Monkey Passion Play as serious? Most of the film is serious. The leading character, Helmut Döring, cackles maniacally as if Mike Judge paid him to do the laughter for Beavis and Butthead. Then there's that awesome entomological scene where the beetle has a Top Hat.

This film is basically about anarchy; it's not about how cute "dwarfs" can be; it's about the end of the world. My interpretation is that everyone in the movie is a dwarf. Watching Even Dwarfs Started Small, you also get the idea that Herzog is an auteur, but, hey, I don't think that he buys it.

As far as Even Dwarfs Start Small goes, I find it to be an absurdist comedy. As far as I can tell, the world of this movie is completely comprised of dwarfs. True, there are dead animals, and I find it strange that there are NOT more dead people/creatures at this time. I'm getting tired.

Thank You.

Here is your extended post on Even Dwarfs Started Small, over in the Movie Tab.

Anyway, I obviously love Even Dwarfs Started Small, and I've watched it a few times now. Unfortunately I made this list before I ever saw it but I think perhaps I'll start extending the list to include this and other such recent finds.

What did your daughter think of it?

"The flowers are in full bloom. Let's pour gasoline on them!"

A system of cells interlinked
Hell, I am adding Popeye to my queue after that glowing description above!

What, no Bunuel???

Glad to see this was bumped up today, cool list linespalsy.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Even Dwarfs Started Small,

I saw this a few weeks ago and haven't stopped recommending to people I so much in this movie I liked it so much I am trying to find it so I can by it

Thanks for the recommendation Lines

A system of cells interlinked
Thanks to Lines and his list, I popped my copy of The Ninth Gate in the player yesterday, and enjoyed another viewing. Such an interesting film. At this point, after seeing it a good 6 or 7 times, the ending just seems to fit. There are plenty of visual queues to let us know where things went. The fact that there is no dialogue-heavy expository scenes is just fine with me. The thing I find interesting about this mystery, is that even after several go-rounds, I still find it engaging and fun, simply because it isn't tied up with a bow at the end. I still get to have fun posing hypothesis with my friends when we watch.