Pyro's Piss Poor Flixster Quickies

→ in
Tools    

Cheers. RE: your comment, Aja is THE horror talent to watch imo. Have you seen Switchblade Romance/Haute Tension?

A system of cells interlinked
I did see Haute Tension, and, although I really liked the style, the thing fell apart for me with the reveal at the end. I mean, it just didn't make any damn sense. Some GREAT scenes in the film, though, which is probably why the reveal bothered me so much...

Yeh, i tend to gloss the end out my memory but the violence in it is bar none. Realised i probably repeated what i said in my review in last post...

Marathon Man

Some iffy editing choices but still has some effective scenes and excellent performances from all the cast but the plot isn't always done justice in it's expostion but still a good, fun ride.

The Protector (Tom yum goong)

Absolutely horrendous plot that the glossy action choreography initially covers up but can only do so much. There's some brilliant action and real talent, again, from Tony Jaa but some of it's too ridiculous and plain dumb like elephant throwing, not too mention some action scenes more like James Bond then Muay Thai. Highly disappointing saved only by the odd bit of amazing athletic ability shown.

Sugarhouse

It's a tight film and a great execution of a simple premise with excellent performances and extremely realistic sounding dialogue. Hoepfully in years to come this will stand out as an important entry in the British film catalogue alongside Meadows.

Wrong Turn 2: Dead End

It's a film i can't see anyone asking to be made or any reason it should be after the very average first but here it is. First of all, i can say why this film was awesome in one word- Henry ****ing Rollins. The dude gets his own Rambo story and is one of the very few characters in horror films that i genuinely was hoping would NOT die. Talking of dying, there's some pretty cool kills, vertical split, explosion to name a few and while the film as a whole isn't as good as the Hills Have Eyes, everything works really well and has a good feel to it. Highly recommended against the tripe horror sequels released thus far this year.

The Invasion

The fourth incarnation of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and it's pretty awful. The subtlety and ambiguity that made the first two so effective is completely removed in favour of bombastic Hollywood styles. Ironically it's the fim's weak attempt at social commentary (after all the original was all a massive metaphor) that destroys the ending, scenes which have always been the most memorable moments. That's not even mentioning the poorly realised and predictable plot, and probably the most use of the word 'love' in any film. Curious to see the original cut before studio interference, another irony considering the original was altered to remove the oppressive ending.

The Aviator

Soars high for a film that i didn't think would be as engaging as it is. DiCaprio further establishes himself as a talent amongst some great set designs but bit iffy CGI in a more restrained Scorsese film that tells an interesting story of one man.

The Departed

First of all, see 'Infernal Affairs' before this, because promoters seemed to have disgustlingly neglected to tell people this. That out of the way, it's a great film in many respects (except for the unapologetic scenes theived) that's a great Scorsese flick but not what he should have got his Oscar for. In comparison to the original, it left out a lot of scenes that made the original work well but does incorporate the rest of the trilogy, which are admitedly extended preludes and conclusions. Notably the only Wahlberg performance i've been able to stomach and Damon and DiCaprio show why they're the top of their generation. Would be considerably higher were it original.

Infernal Affairs

Far superior to The Departed if you're interested. Christopher Doyle lends his hand to the cinematography which is as exciting as the fast paced rivalry between the two lead characters wonderfully played by legend Tony Leung and Andy Lau.

Sugarhouse

It's a tight film and a great execution of a simple premise with excellent performances and extremely realistic sounding dialogue. Hoepfully in years to come this will stand out as an important entry in the British film catalogue alongside Meadows.
Thanks have added this to my must see list

From Beyond

Imagine a ham and cheese sandwich buttered with Lovecraft, from the 80s and that's From Beyond. Combs is brilliant to watch as always and there's some of those long lost special effects, y'know, that don't involve computers.

Performance

Complete with trippy editing, verging on the surreal much like Roeg's 'The Man Who Fell to Earth'. It's has a great exploration of the crime underworld and 60/70s hippy drug culture and subsequent clash, making it a must for fans of said themes. J.agger is suprisingly effective but James Fox steals it.

Apocalypto

Not quite as epic as i anticipated but still rather involving and illuminating film. Can't help thinking it would be far more enjoyable without the subtitles as they often were a very modern dialect and detracted from the atmosphere and setting. The final ending was a bit long and weak but worth watching just for being a great insight and recreation of a period not seen in movies.

The Crying Game

Pretty average film probably only remembered for it's so called twist, that isn't really a twist at all. Some interesting themes that could have been interesting if given more time and presidence over others. Performance were so-so and i found more than a few bits hard to swallow (pun not intended), not to mention Whitaker's accent which seemed dubbed (?). A crying shame.

Death Wish

Think i might have missed something here, seems to stop just when it should be starting, leaving some talking and the odd bit of violence that looks tame even against films of a similar age (see Clockwork Orange).

Rise: Blood Hunter

Uninspired revenge film masquerading as a vampire film. No real development of any themes or characters, nor any depth leaving a very tepid film. Micheal Chilkis is always watchable even though is essentially Vic Mackey with a goatee and Lucy Liu has a minor boob flash if that floats your boat.

Unknown (La Sconosciuta)

A fantastic slow boiling thriller that keep it's pace at a perfect level, letting the mystery reveal itself without being laboured. It's not an especially original story but it's delivered well, even if it does get lost in it's multitude of themes, sometimes verging on uneven with it's tone. Morricone, as most mention, as done excellent score for the film and it's nice to see a new film from Tornatore of 'Cinema Paradiso' fame.

This Is England

Everything about the film is almost spot on except the script that really lets it down; predictable twist and it just seems like a snippet from a longer film- under-developed and unsatisfying. That aside, the young star shines and not just the setting but the attention to it and the themes/politics of the era were interwoven particularly well and supported with documentary footage.

Death Proof

A Tarantino movie will have two things, a cool soundtrack and Tarantino's ego. Unfortunately, Death Proof is meant to be a homage, not an opportunity for Quentin to fellate himself, like he does; he's made a 'Tarantino' film opposed to a 'Grindhouse.' film, completely missing the mark. I mean, who the **** wants Eli Roth in a film, he can't direct, suprisingly can't act. Stuntman Mike is played splendidly by Russel but he's pushed into more of a cameo role in favour of unnecessary dialogue between borish characters, Tarantino's cliched himself with his own pompous scripting of 'conversations' taking priority of narrative. Luckily the two (yes, there's ONLY TWO) car chases go to somewhat redeem the rest. If anyone else had handled this film, it would have been good, i'd daresay, but as it stands it's even WORSE than the Grindhouse cut.

A History of Violence

This is probably my favourite and possibly the best Graphic Novel adaptation; Cronenberg not only stays loyal to the source but adds his own input and improves many aspects of the Novel. Although Cronenberg's most restrained film it still has some great underlying psychological issues and the some smooth sporadic scenes of violence. I was never a fan of Mortensen in LoTR but here he fits the role perfectly.

A History of Violence

This is probably my favourite and possibly the best Graphic Novel adaptation; Cronenberg not only stays loyal to the source but adds his own input and improves many aspects of the Novel. Although Cronenberg's most restrained film it still has some great underlying psychological issues and the some smooth sporadic scenes of violence. I was never a fan of Mortensen in LoTR but here he fits the role perfectly.
This was a graphic novel??? I loved this movie! The violent sex on the stairs was my favourite scene. I've been forgetting to update my reviews...thanks for unintentionally reminding me

Yeah, it was a graphic novel of the same name by John Wagner, read that then watched this again. Also doing my disseration on it. The sex on the stairs was added, in fact most of it post Ed Harris was changed in one way or anther but apart from that it's very similar but both different and funnily the Novel as more 'body horror' Cronenberg moments than he puts in the film.

I've been reading yours on Flixster, want to get Mysterious Skin aka downloading it atm.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

The Crying Game

Pretty average film probably only remembered for it's so called twist, that isn't really a twist at all. Some interesting themes that could have been interesting if given more time and presidence over others. Performance were so-so and i found more than a few bits hard to swallow (pun not intended), not to mention Whitaker's accent which seemed dubbed (?). A crying shame.
I can't agree with you on this one, I think there is a lot more to The Crying Game than the twist. I thought it was effective as both a thriller and a love story. A classic. The only odd notes for me were the cricket and the ending...although you are right about Whitaker, he is awful in it - who would have thought he would end up with a best actor oscar?

I can't agree with you on this one, I think there is a lot more to The Crying Game than the twist. I thought it was effective as both a thriller and a love story. A classic. The only odd notes for me were the cricket and the ending...although you are right about Whitaker, he is awful in it - who would have thought he would end up with a best actor oscar?
I was trying to say there was more to it than the 'twist' which the film is remembered for (was how i came to hear about it), only personally i don't think it's a twist in the typical sense since it informs the whole second act of the film opposed to altering your understanding retrospectively. I did think it was a good thriller and a good romance only these two narratives kept pushing the other over so neither one was given a fair amount of time to really let the film delve into in any great detail as far as i was concerned, think it would have been far better as one or the other, and it wasn't until the end that the time the first act was given became relevant. Made me want to watch Ronin after.

8 1/2

I don't know if you're allowed to criticise art house, especially when there's a lot being said on modernism and post-modernism, self reflection and contextual elements that i probably miss. There's some great imagery but it's a long hard watch with little pay off other than the marvellous experience. Although the thing i like most about Fellini is probably Mastroianni.

Superman Returns

Superman should have stayed gone. While nothings particularly bad, nothing's that good. The actors all fill their predecessors shoes ok but nothings added leaving pale shadows, Superman doesn't really kick as much ass as he should in 2h30m and Cyclops is a more interesting character overall. Singer should've stuck and made a good X3.

Heavenly Creatures

Jackson has three periods of work- early low budget gore, mid mainstream movies and more obviously LoTR trilogy. But this film is the highlight of all these periods, dark, funny, unsettling with plenty of imagination, striking visuals and a touching romance story.

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

If you think about it, not much of this ones takes place in space but it's still fun. Luke is still annoying, Han is still cool. Would love to have seen what Lynch would've done.

The Passenger

Not sure why this says it was made in 2005.... Anyway, a very special movie, a lot of similarities with Antonioni's Blowup but replaces London for Africa. Can't quite describe what Antonioni does to make such a good film; the story is minimal and not really a major aspect; Nicholson holds it all together hypnotically as the camera and visuals guide the narrative. A haunting movie that works itself into the subconscious.

The Apartment

While there's nothing inherently wrong with the film, a lot of the setting is outdated thus unrelateable but the performances and suprisingly dark humour (often replacing belly laughter), gentle romance all make it a comedy for the ages.

Santa sangre

Not quite sure what i just watched, it's ****ed up with somw whack surreal moments and really twisted but completely compelling and convincing with quite an emotional punch. A true cult masterpiece.

Hatchet

As the poster says, it's not a sequel, a remake or based on a Japanese one; it is in fact Saturday the 14th. For all the enjoyable 80s slasher throwbacks it shoots itself in the foot bringing back the problems they have- stupid continuity, "let's not do this / go here" to have them next scence contradict themselves and typical annoying characters. It does, however, have some cheese deaths and some nice cameos from genre vets. Can only recommend it as a reminder of the slasher's heyday, otherwise stick with Friday the 13th Part 4.

Heavenly Creatures

Jackson has three periods of work- early low budget gore, mid mainstream movies and more obviously LoTR trilogy. But this film is the highlight of all these periods, dark, funny, unsettling with plenty of imagination, striking visuals and a touching romance story.

I love this movie

Highlander

I always remembered think this movies was the balls but watching it again it actually is just balls. Some really dated, cheesy and poor moments but then again, they do provide some of the charm. Still only half buy a Frenchman playing a Scot, and a Scot playing a Spaniard.

Stardust

Enjoyable but never quite matches the obvious inspiration of Princess Bride though liked it's avoidance of an OTT Narnia/LoTR approach. Think i may have laughed at De Niro's cameo more than most of The Simpsons however it only just balances out Gervais' egotistical performance.

Black Sheep (2007)

Not sure this shows a complete lack of ideas or stroke of genius but either way, it's pretty individual. Well, i say individual, i couldn't stop thinking of 'Bad Taste' through out, pretty sure they even used the same house. It has some fun moments like mint sauce as a weapon and sheep shagging but most deaths are off screen and still unsure how far the makers tongues were into their cheeks.

Desperado

People bang on about Rodriguez and 'Sin City' and probably now alongside Tarantino (who unfortunately cameos here) for Grindhouse, but this is THE Rodriguez film they should bang on about. A hyper violent and very sexy, a Mexican John Woo movie if you will. And if you like Salma Hayek (which you damn well should), you get to enjoy her yummy boobs here.

Sheitan (Satan)

I thought Cassel would have a fun cameo but when i realised he was a main character i then thought i wouldn't be able to take him seriously but he really does totally own the film with a magnificent absorbing and very unnerving performance. The film doesn't quite live up to Irreversible or Switchblade Romance to which it's compared since it never really delivers anything graphic or any violence till the last act, instead just delivering an unsettling atmosphere that would have been nicely complimented with a strong ending that should have come 20 minutes after it did, allowing some actual gory and disturbing pay off.

Escape from New York

Amazing. Carpenter at his best with own synth music and Kurt Russell making history with legendary Snake Plissken, supported with quite a talented cast of now forgotten actors.

Escape from L.A.

Is actually an appalling film that really shouldn't have been allowed to ape as much from the original as it has BUT it does have Bruce Campbell and Kurt Russell together for one of the two times thus cinematic greatness is partially achieved, even if Kurt slightly butchers the Snake character.

Mysterious Skin

Well, the box said it was about alien abductions and had quite a decent looking cast so thought why not since had heard good things about it. But wait, it's not about aliens, it's about gays and child abuse (!!) That shock on the shocking content aside, it's actually quite a powerful and well crafted film with interesting characters skillfully portrayed by a very talented young cast.

The Holy Mountain

Holy ****. This film was off the chain crazy. 1000 shades of awesome.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

Monster House

Quite impressive, fun times and a nice change of pace in a CGI-er not worrying about directly appealing to younger audiences.

War (Rogue Assassin)

Has trouble living up to any of it's potential and a lot of the marketing is misleading, the titular 'War' isn't Statham and Li mashing it up but the whole plot about setting a war up with Triads and Yakuza. A lot of things could've worked but unfortunately are thrown around half assed and then there's the age old problem that all East Asians looks the same.....

3:10 to Yuma (2007)

Not anything near 'Unforgiven' but a decent Western all the same. A few too many predictable moments and cheesy bits to make it truly good but if you like Westerns give it a go before it's forgotten this time next year.

Malcolm X

Good enough film with an interesting enough story but doesn't pack enough of a punch for true greatness. It's biggest problem was the tendency to film scenes like documentary footage, an empty aesthetic leaving uneven verisimilitude. Denzel does, however, give a great performance, unlike Lee in one of worst cameo roles.

Lawrence of Arabia

As epic as all say it is, much to my surprise. For it's 218m runtime it never really lets up, constantly thrilling and entertaining with a perfect score and some beautiful cinematography. There's only two things that weren't spot on- couple of cheesy edits and the 3 10 minute intermissions of blank screen and music.

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

As heart wrenching as it is heart warming. Another fine performance from Nicholson and lot of young faces show their early talent.

The Third Man

Excellent noir that really doesn't look dated in the slightest except for the jarring and pretty poor music, a one note affair used throughout which is often unfitting for the mood.

Nice little mini reviews, son. Should consider a career writing for the archive section in Total Film.

I liked that you mini reviewed Mysterious Skin, which is one of the most disturbing films I have ever seen in my entire friggin' life. Joseph Levitt Gordan was astonishing and really showed some balls doing what he did in that film.

Nice little mini reviews, son. Should consider a career writing for the archive section in Total Film.

I liked that you mini reviewed Mysterious Skin, which is one of the most disturbing films I have ever seen in my entire friggin' life. Joseph Levitt Gordan was astonishing and really showed some balls doing what he did in that film.

Yeah, he really did make the movie, the other guy wasn't bad but it was Levitt who really shined. Once they'd grown up it wasn't quite as disturbing but that scene with young Levitt fellating the other kid after setting the firework off in his mouth was pretty disturbing. Though did like how they handled the coach since they never really vilified him.