My Top 250 Movies

Tools    

I should revisit Diary of a Country Priest soon. I struggled with Bresson in the past, but I've slowly been warming up to him over the years.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
JOE

If you like "Taxi Driver", you'll probably like this. It's not better, but it was made 6 years before. Peter Boyle is good in everything, and it also features a young Susan Sarandon.

ADDITION: This movie was recommended by the fella who "upped" this. Didn't know if he wants to be identified, but I've found a lot of great movies just by reading others' passion.

I should revisit Diary of a Country Priest soon. I struggled with Bresson in the past, but I've slowly been warming up to him over the years.

He's one of my favorite directors. I've seen all his movies except "Lancelot du lac", but the only one I've seen more than once is "Pickpocket" which might be my favorite, along with "A Man Escaped"

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
JOE

If you like "Taxi Driver", you'll probably like this. It's not better, but it was made 6 years before. Peter Boyle is good in everything, and it also features a young Susan Sarandon.
Hey, I think it's better.

Hey, I think it's better.

My only critique is once the guys start to enjoy this hippie lifestyle. It's cool at first, but once it's acknowledged and keeps going, not as much. I definitely loved the first hour more.

SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS

One of Kazan's last great movies.. Instead of giving a synopsis of this movie, I try to tell an audience what I experience when I saw this and any bits of information related.. When I first saw this, I liked it very much. The second time I saw this I was living with this woman (who used to be my next-door neighbor) while the house I used to live was supposedly being worked on. I was in Australia for months, and when I found out the house was available after the previous tenants moved out, I thought, "OK, I'll go back to the US".

It's a movie about sexual repression, and the woman I saw this with was definitely repressed. She worked for the city, and so she came home around the same time every day, at about 5:15 (cue the horns - Who reference) so I hit pause to see if she'd indulge me and watch this with me. She liked it a lot. It's unfortunate, because she died suddenly the same day I became an uncle. And back to sexual repression, she would talk about spending the night with me, but then kinda back off, and then say how nice it would be to sleep together, and then kinda back off after saying, "Only sleeping, right?". Finally I showed her my displeasure because she played this game, on a labor day weekend when I spent ALL of it helping her move heavy boxes into her garage (I moved, she "directed"). So I finally replayed the scene, and she said, "I was telling myself" - why repress yourself? (This happens in the movie, and is a reason for Natalie Wood's breakdown, and what-ifs). I'm still kicking myself today, thinking, "Well, I can't ever have sex with her" but also wondering how it would change our "relationship", because sex always does. Although she was short, she had this tough exterior, and wished she would have shown more of her tenderness. As a wise man once said, "A woman who demands her equality renounces her superiority".

Anyway, this is a damn good movie about things I mentioned above, except the fact they were young high school sweethearts. And nobody knows how Natalie Wood died... Maybe. Maybe not.

HELL IN THE PACIFIC

Only two men in this movie. They don't speak the same language, but they demonstrate how cooperation is more effective than competition.

I haven't seen most of these, but big thumbs up for Mary and Max. Such a great movie.
For those who haven't seen how the movie was made, please check it out on YouTube, you'll be amazed at the devotion and time it was needed to make such a film. I felt depressed, uh, maybe ashamed to see somethings I could see in myself in that movie, I should have seen it alone the first time.

For those who haven't seen how the movie was made, please check it out on YouTube, you'll be amazed at the devotion and time it was needed to make such a film. I felt depressed, uh, maybe ashamed to see somethings I could see in myself in that movie, I should have seen it alone the first time.
Unless you're seeing yourself in Vera Dinkle or one of the child bullies, you probably shouldn't feel ashamed.

THE EDUKATORS

Young activists who break into millionaire's homes, and throw all their material goods into their fridge as a symbolic anti-capitalist move (and a bit of terror) telling them their days of plenty are numbered. Becomes a love-triangle, and then they come to find out the man they kidnap (after coming home earlier than expected) was one of them.

Welcome to the human race...
Okay, everyone, time to place your bets on how many of them are from after 1980. I'm going to say...six.

By the way, @matt72582, don't ever delete this thread, I'll create a watchlist. Never saw Umut in my life, and it appears the type of film I'd love. It's getting harder and harder to find something I'd want to watch.