the worst movies ever

Tools    

Modern Problems (1981) - I think it's the only movie I've seen that I ever walked out of the theater before it ended.
Just curious, was it the nosebleed that did it?

It's definitely a silly and kinda druggy movie, but it's a favorite of mine simply because it has one of Dabney Coleman's classic heels from his reign as King Heel (9 To 5, Wargames, Tootsie, etc). You may have missed him as he's only in the second half of the film.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Well, this thread escalated quickly. How can we go back to discussing Master of Disguise and Jack and Jill now?

Anyway, these are films I've rated
on Letterboxd
  • Battlefield Earth
  • Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
  • Agent F.O.X.
  • Cujo
  • Geostorm
  • Last House on the Left
  • X-Men: The Last Stand
  • The Human Centipede 3
  • Silver Linings Playbook
  • A Good Day to Die Hard
  • Speed 2: Cruise Control
  • Transformers
  • The Crow: City of Angels

Also, I don't have them rated on Letterboxd, but I do remember this DeNiro/Murphy triumvirate of 15 Minutes, Showtime, and Holy Man to be quite bad.

I liked X-Men: The Last Stand. It's not the best of the X-Men movies, but it's a good movie.

I liked Silver Linings Playbook too.

Oh man. I liked Cujo and Love Silver Linings Playbook
Yeah, Cujo hate baffles me. It's not a great film, but it's so far from the worst of King's adaptations that I can't really grasp it. It's not as bad as Children of the Corn or Thinner or something. And I think Thief may just have an unrequited crush on J-Law, and he's all "Nuh-uh!" and yet there they are. Sitting in a tree.
Yeah, granted it not as good as, say, Christine or Carrie, but I enjoyed it for what is was.
And Thief can continue to hate on her. More J-Law fo’ me.
Which reminds me….I still need to watch Mother! 😑
For what it's worth, here are my Letterboxd reviews on both, where I expand a bit on why I didn't like either...

Cujo

Silver Linings Playbook

I know I might be in the minority for both, especially SLP, but it is what it is.

Re: Cujo vs. other King adaptations, I don't think I've seen Children of the Corn or Thinner, so I can't say much about Jinn's comparison. Who knows. Maybe I'll rate those 0 stars.

As for J-Law, I like her quite a bit. Not that I've seen a lot, but I liked her a lot on Winter's Bone and The Poker House, although the latter is a fairly weak film. I also liked her in the Hunger Games film, although I never got around to see the last one Make from that what you may. The only other film of her I've seen is X-Men: First Class, where I don't think she's given a lot to do, so

Perhaps it was seen as a copycat of "The Gumball Rally", which is far better.
Pretty sure it's a copycat of this instead.

Modern Problems (1981) - I think it's the only movie I've seen that I ever walked out of the theater before it ended.
Just curious, was it the nosebleed that did it?
I haven't seen it since it was in the theaters, so I don't remember much about it. I just remember it being a very stupid movie starring Chevy Chase. It was so bad that my friend and I eventually just walked out on it.

It's definitely a silly and kinda druggy movie, but it's a favorite of mine simply because it has one of Dabney Coleman's classic heels from his reign as King Heel (9 To 5, Wargames, Tootsie, etc). You may have missed him as he's only in the second half of the film.
I like Dabney Coleman, but I don't remember him in that movie. (But I liked Chevy Chase at the time, and I still walked out on the movie, so I doubt I would have stayed for Dabney Coleman either.)

I love The Cannonball Run. It's not a great movie, but it's a lot of fun.
Perhaps it was seen as a copycat of "The Gumball Rally", which is far better.

I've never seen The Gumball Rally, so I can't compare the two movies.

Re: Cujo vs. other King adaptations, I don't think I've seen Children of the Corn or Thinner, so I can't say much about Jinn's comparison. Who knows. Maybe I'll rate those 0 stars.
So many bad ones. Sleepwalkers, Graveyard Shift, The Dark Half, The Mangler, The Night Flyer, Dreamcatcher (might be the worst!). Cujo just isn't that awful.

As for J-Law, I like her quite a bit. Not that I've seen a lot, but I liked her a lot on Winter's Bone and The Poker House, although the latter is a fairly weak film. I also liked her in the Hunger Games film, although I never got around to see the last one Make from that what you may. The only other film of her I've seen is X-Men: First Class, where I don't think she's given a lot to do, so
Have you seen the other two David O. Russell films? I like all of them, including SLP, but you may prefer the humor and Scorsese-esque satire of American Hustle and Joy is probably Lawrence's strongest central performance.

Duplicate Account (locked)
Well, this thread escalated quickly. How can we go back to discussing Master of Disguise and Jack and Jill now?
Haha, well when you really like a forum, you can either go the high-art route as you have with "best of the 2000s" or "here's all this awesome stuff and why", or you can go the route of doing a lot with little and getting people to have discussions that are interesting to you

in a way i envy the folks on here that do the former, but unfortunately i'm just not that much of a film fanatic/buff. I just prefer films/shows to be lazy entertainment...I already too much time thinking about streaming services today.

I have never seen one of these movies.
Good. Let's keep it that way. It's a lot of garbage and I haven't even gone into the questionable "TV movie" area of King adaptations. Secret Window is another one that seems like it's in on the joke but it's such a terrible joke, you know?

Dreamcatcher is a good example of the kind of flatulent film that's almost immediately forgotten, despite having a cast with like Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris. Turns up for 2 dollars at a check-out-kiosk at your local drug store. "Did I actually watch this?" Insidious stuff. What was that other all-star Renny Harlin movie? Mindhunters? Are these films even real or collective LHC experiments?

Haven’t seen either of those three. How similar are they?
This one is still campy but not outright comedy. Low budget fun, but instead of stars like Roger Moore and Dean Martin, you get cameos from Martin Scorsese and Sylvester Stallone eating fried chicken.

This one is still campy but not outright comedy. Low budget fun, but instead of stars like Roger Moore and Dean Martin, you get cameos from Martin Scorsese and Sylvester Stallone eating fried chicken.

Ah, that's where the memory of Martin Scorsese with a drumstick in his mouth came from.

The trick is not minding
Have you seen the other two David O. Russell films? I like all of them, including SLP, but you may prefer the humor and Scorsese-esque satire of American Hustle and Joy is probably Lawrence's strongest central performance.
I’m not a big fan of Russel, but I find myself enjoying his films nevertheless. I remember first seeing Three Kings and enjoying That.
Haven’t seen Joy yet, but as I already mentioned, I loved SLP. And American Hustle is decent as well, especially that very effective scene with De Niro where they try to con him and he responds in Arabic to their surprise. Maybe 5 whole minutes of screen time and he steals it all.

My tuppenny-ha'penny contributions:

Olga's House Of Shame (1964)
The Click (1985)
Slashers (2001)
Movie 43 (2013)
Powder Room (2013)
Happy Christmas (2014)
Bait (2014)
Aaaaaaaah! (2015)
#Horror (2015)

+
Revolt Of The Zombies (1936)
Night Of The Ghouls (1959)
Dr. Sex (1964)
The War Of The Robots (1978)
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
Willow Creek (2013)
Bella Vista (2014)
The Quiet Ones (2014)

(Note for Yin: they're not actually mine, I had no hand whatsoever in bringing any of these to a cinema near anyone)

So many bad ones. Sleepwalkers, Graveyard Shift, The Dark Half, The Mangler, The Night Flyer, Dreamcatcher (might be the worst!). Cujo just isn't that awful.
I think I might have seen Sleepwalkers when I was a teen. I think I remember it being pretty bad, but I don't remember much about it. Never seen the others, so it seems I'm good

I haven't seen those, even though I've had them on my watchlist.