Pineapple Express

Tools    

The new Apatow (apathow?) film pineapple express is looking good.
stars Seth Rogan and James Franco, set to release in summer 2008,
I'm not sure what it is about, but heres a hilarious clip.

http://www.joblo.com/video/player.ph...eapple-Express

gotta love marijuana in all its glory

O and I made the cross joint from the clip, hard 2 make, but works wonders

Anything Apatow makes I'm all about! I also saw the clip on the Superbad DVD. I'm looking forward to this one!

I dunno... I watched some of it on the Superbad DVD... thought it looked stupid.

new trailer for the movie is out now... just like the bonus scene released earlier it looks hilarious and just makes me want to watch the movie all the more... here it is

pinapple express trailer

The R-Rated "red-band" trailer is even better.
The gag with the windshield is hysterical.
Click on the picture above for a link.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Ahhh... The red band is proably better but the site won't let me watch it because I'm Canadian and don't have a ZIP codes ( we have postal codes ), but I'm to lazy so I'll find it somewhere else and post the link for Canadians, unless someone else gets it first.

EDIT: found it If you can't watch the red band watch it here

Why's there a gun in your trousers?
I personally cannot wait to see this movie. I think it looks hilarious. Can you go wrong with a movie about pot?

when is this coming out again?

thats not soon enough

oh and does anybody know the song from the trailer?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
oh and does anybody know the song from the trailer?
If you mean the one during the last part, that's "Paper Planes" by M.I.A.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

From today's New York Times...

Boldly Going One Toke (or More) Over the Line
By MARK HARRIS
August 3rd, 2008

If you were trying to select the appropriate personnel to refurbish that slightly disreputable, perpetually half-baked genre, the Hollywood stoner comedy, you might very well ask Judd Apatow, the current king of schlubby, non-alpha-male humor, to serve as producer. And you could easily imagine Seth Rogen, leading man of Knocked Up, co-writer of Superbad and someone whose résumé suggests at least a passing familiarity with the munchies, as co-writer and star.

But David Gordon Green in the director's chair? In the parlance of the main characters of his new movie, Pineapple Express: Whoa. ...Uh. ... What? Seriously?

For ten years Mr. Green, 33, has been making small independent movies. They have played at film festivals and in art houses. They have been praised for their meditative delicacy, their naturalistic performances, their exquisite visual composition. And they have taken home some very nice awards. His directorial debut, the self-financed $42,000 George Washington, a gentle portrait of a group of rural Southern children, was named the best first film of 2000 by the New York Film Critics Circle.

But even the most successful of his four movies, 2003's All the Real Girls, made less than $550,000 at the box office. And winning something called the Sundance Special Jury Prize for Emotional Truth isn't something that you can pin to your lapel when you walk into Sony's executive suites to prove that you're the guy to make the studio's next comedy.

Nevertheless Mr. Green, who says he is neither a passionate aficionado of the buds-with-bongs genre nor "an enormous pothead", is delighted to have landed the gig and insists it's a more natural fit than fans of his earlier work might assume. Yes, he admires the films of Terrence Malick, but growing up outside Dallas in the late 1980s he and his junior high school friends also indulged a bottomless appetite for the goofiest low-end action comedies.

"Pure amusement," he said, unrepentantly. "I was into some trash. It wasn't even prestigious trash, like the taste that Tarantino has. I mean trash."

Mr. Green literally wears his taste on his sleeve: he arrived for an interview at the SoHo Grand in New York looking shaggily collegiate in a T-shirt emblazoned with a photograph of Mountain ("the greatest undiscovered classic rock band of the '70s"). And when he talks about the low-end movies he loves, he's not kidding. Nor is he smirking.

As Mr. Green speaks with admiration of the Billy Crystal-Gregory Hines action comedy Running Scared and reels off references to the Kurt Russell-Sylvester Stallone cop movie Tango & Cash, to Surf Nazis Must Die and Rowdy Roddy Piper in [i]They Live[i], and to the entire output of Cannon Films (gems like Missing in Action and Death Wish 3), it becomes apparent that for him the late '80s, a boom period for the kind of processed American cheese that has yet to be rehabilitated by critical re-evaluation, was formative.

Which isn't to say he didn't aim higher, no pun intended, with [i]Pineapple Express/i], which opens Wednesday. The story revolves around a process server, Dale Denton (Mr. Rogen); his hapless, sweet-natured pot dealer, Saul Silver (James Franco, cast against type in the role Mr. Rogen originally intended to play); and the local drug lord (Gary Cole), who starts hunting the two when Dale witnesses a murder.

"I think my spin was to try to make it not a cartoon," he said. "I thought, let's go far-out and absurd places, but let's try to play everything as if it's for real and try to root it in human behavior. When these guys get in fights, they're not used to fighting, so it hurts, and they're really sore the next day. To me, it's funnier that way."

Pot comedies seem to be flourishing lately, so much so that the genre is subdividing. Those who will always view the Cheech and Chong ouevre (particularly 1978's Up in Smoke) as archetypal can find their natural heirs in the high-and-higher flavor of the two Harold and Kumar comedies (with a third in the works). If you want to inhale something a little different, you can sample a '90s period piece (The Wackness); the stoner's-eye-view, ultra-indie perspective of Gregg Araki’s little-seen Smiley Face; or the pitch-black, business-minded comedy of the Showtime series "Weeds".

Mr. Green's film is, in horticultural terms, a hybrid: it merges all of the above with an attention to the fumbling, heartfelt friendships between straight guys that were a staple of Knocked Up and Superbad, both productions of the Apatow comedy factory.

The matchmaker on Pineapple Express was the film's third lead, Danny McBride, Mr. Green's occasional writing partner and a friend from their years at the North Carolina School of the Arts, where Mr. Green enrolled after a brief stint at the University of Texas, Austin, and a quickly reversed decision to join the Marines. Mr. Apatow was a fan of Mr. McBride's work in The Foot Fist Way (a film that got only a token release but was much admired in comedy circles) and invited him to the set of Knocked Up.

"I'd never met Seth and Judd before," Mr. McBride said, "and it struck me that the way Judd worked was very similar to the kind of work David did, where everybody knows the rules. The script can go out the window as long as you don't break character and keep going, whatever they throw at you."

After his most recent drama, this year's Snow Angels, Mr. Green wanted a change. "I was thinking that in order to prove to the industry that I'm the right guy to make somebody giggle from time to time, I might have to make a calling card, a kind of down-and-dirty, lo-fi comedy," he said. "But then this popped up."

Initially Mr. Green was wary. "A potential anxiety was overwhelming studio involvement," he said. "We've all heard horror stories. I have friends who have made the leap to studio movies not so comfortably."

Over the years Mr. Green has experienced his share of frustrations about bigger projects. He is one of many filmmakers to have passed through the still-nowhere-in-sight adaptation of John Kennedy Toole’s novel A Confederacy of Dunces, and a planned adaptation of John Grisham's nonfiction book The Innocent Man for Warner Independent Pictures went into limbo in May, when Warner Brothers decided to shut down its indie divisions.

A brush with hot-commodity status before the 2004 release of his drama Undertow, a brutal Southern Gothic melodrama inspired in part by Charles Laughton's Night of the Hunter, still stings a little. "Everyone wanted to see a print, everyone said it was going to be huge, I was getting all kinds of offers to work with amazing people," Mr. Green said. "Then the movie opened. It made, I think, about $170,000, and the jobs dried up in a minute. That was my lesson in fair-weather studio friends" (It actually made just under $144,000).

But on Pineapple Express Mr. Green discovered the advantage of working with the kind of producer whose recent track record of hits guaranteed that there would be little or no studio meddling:. "People think 'independent' means no interference," he said. "Not true. Unless you're paying for everything yourself, you're always subject to who's writing the checks. And on this movie I had more creative freedom than I've had since I did George Washington."

Mr. Apatow said: "The basic idea of hiring inspired, independent-minded filmmakers is a much better way to go than to just hire shooters who will do anything you tell them to. What I like about what David did is that the movie retains our style and tone while merging with his. He really makes the characters and their relationships come to life and not feel like an afterthought."

Sony, in turn, found itself with a director who was used to making every dollar count, which was essential, since according to Mr. Green "they gave us a comedy budget" — reportedly $25 million — "and we wanted to make an action movie."

Mr. Green threw himself into the action sequences, including a bruising and hilariously inept three-man house-wrecking brawl that took four days to film, and he said he encouraged Mr. Rogen, Mr. Franco and Mr. McBride (none of whom needed any encouragement) "to try new things, to try ridiculous line readings, to really spur the odd-couple dynamics."

Many of the biggest laugh lines — most of which should be heard in context and in the presence of a parent or adult guardian — emerged from that improvisatory spirit. Several were added to the movie after initial test screenings showed, somewhat unusually, that the audience liked it longer.

"Things that I thought would be too weird, people were ready to rock with," said Mr. Green, who was an enthusiastic participant in the testing process. "I really valued it. To me it's important that this movie be engineered not only to my self-indulgent sensibility, but also to a mass audience."

And so Mr. Green, who lives in New Orleans, found himself, on a recent visit to New York, staring up at a Midtown billboard of his movie. The billboard alone has probably been seen by more people than his body of work to date.

"I cried," he said, grinning. "You know, a sweet tear. A lot of people have said to me, 'Oh, so you made this one for "them," and now you can make a movie for "you."' No, I didn't. This wasn't a hack job. In a strange way it was a passion project." Whatever comes next for Mr. Green, it is not likely to be an immediate return to painfully intimate dramas. He recently finished collaborating on the script for a remake of the phantasmagorical 1977 horror movie Suspiria. He's also working on an Arctic submarine adventure and a pilot for an animated series. He and Mr. McBride are planning a "medieval comedy with dragons." And — lest anyone doubt the depth of his taste for the lowest of '80s subgenres — he's working on a remake of the Kenny Rogers race car movie Six Pack.

"I'm trying to channel as diverse a career as possible," he said, citing Richard Linklater, Gus Van Sant and Steven Soderbergh as models. "It's good for me to switch gears. I don't like the idea of someone looking at me funny when I say I want to do something. I like the idea of them saying, 'That’s interesting.'"

This movie looks very funny, with some action sequences as well which would be very enjoyable. this movie is a must see for me don't know about you guys though.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Looks awsome and funny as hell, be checking that out.