Ticket Prices

Tools    

Hey just wondering how much it cost to go to a movie where you live. I work at the movie theatre so i get free movies with a guest (ha jealous?). Where i work its

Before 5:30 pm After 5:30 pm
Children (3-11)
5.75 5.75
Senior (60+)
5.75 5.75
Adult (12-59)
5.75 8.25 (8.75 on Ultra Screen)

Here in QLD, Australia we have cheap tuesdays where the movie tickets get down to $5 (AUS) for adults and a little cheaper for kids but usually its around $10-$11 (AUS) so in US about $4 on tuesday and $8-$8.80.

The cheapest theatre that we have in our area has matinee tickets going for $5.50 , which I feel is quite reasonable. There evening prices are even cheaper then the other local theatres in the area charging $8.50 per ticket. The only thing is they do not have stadium seating at this theatre. At the other theatre in town matinee prices are $6.50 and evening prices are $10.50, but this theatre offers state of the art surround sound and stadium seating in all 14 theatres.

There are those who call me...Tim.
I think with my Empire Magazine Club Card I can see a film at my nearest Vue cinema for about £4. Otherwise it's about £6 or something.

[EDIT]
There is another cinema that I occasionally go to (though try to avoid as a matter of principal) that charges adult prices for kids aged 12. I just can't stand that. If it was a fancy place it would be somewhat justifiable, but every time I go I can feel my shoes getting stuck to the floor from ancient, spilled popcorn.

Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
The ticket prices around where I live are about seven to eight dollars, and the matinee is six dollars.

$5.50 for mat' and &7.50 thereafter. We still do have a 'first-run" theater in town with tickets for $1.50, of course the films they show and define as first-run are one day shy of dvd release, but who cares? For $1.50 its still a deal.

We still do have a 'first-run" theater in town with tickets for $1.50, of course the films they show and define as first-run are one day shy of dvd release, but who cares? For $1.50 its still a deal.
How old is this theatre that is playing these movies almost released for DVD? Is the sound excellent?

I have noticed lately that movies are still out in our theatres here that are on the verge of coming out on DVD also and this is a theatre that always play top notch films that have just come out too. They just let a few run allot longer now and then. It's only now I'm noticing this actually. The last one was Night at the Museum'. 'Blood Diamond' was the other that got taken out just a week or two ago after it was released on DVD.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Last time I went to the cinema it cost £7. I worked this out at about £1 per 10 minutes of actual film (i.e. not counting ads and trailers). If two people go, you might as well just buy the dvd instead.

It's £7 for adult here as well, though student price is around £5, it seems every year it goes up at least 50p.

Whoa... I know kung-fu!
The highest ticket price in LA that I'm aware of is $14 or $15 (at the Arclight Hollywood), but ,like Chet Seven, I work at a movie theatre so I get my movies for free (sometimes I even get paid to watch them).

I am half agony, half hope.
Down here in Southern CA. tickets cost $11.50 after 5 p.m.

Up in Longview, Wa. where I grew up, it's only $7.50 after 5 p.m.

My mom and sisters laugh at how much we pay for everything down here.

Johann von Goethe

Enemies are so stimulating.
i live in london so its normally between £9 and £10 to go to the cinema. i used to have a cineworld card which was £14.99 a month and you can go to see as many films as you like, only trouble is they dont tend to play all the really good films in the top 5 charts in central london so i would have to travel outside of central to go see them, which when working full time and having awkward hours is just impossible. so i cancelled it. now i just wait for films to come out or there is another place i can go to for £5 a film but that theatre doesnt always play many films either.
I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whisky helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!

Here in Portland, OR a full price ticket at the new first-run theaters, most of which are Regal Cinemas, run $10 a piece, and the matinees are up to $8 now. The two main, big independent theatres in town are Cinema 21 (which has been playing Blade Runner: The Final Cut for the past three weeks) and The Hollywood Theatre (built in 1926). Cinema 21's tickets are $8 in the evening and $6 for matinees, while The Hollywood's are $6 for all shows.

One of the many great things about Portland is we have some excellent second-run theaters. And I don't call them excellent only because they all serve beer and don't allow anyone under twenty-one for evening shows, though that is very nice. The Laurelhurst is one, and their films are all only $3. This week their line-up is King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters, Eastern Promises, 3:10 to Yuma, The Simpsons Movie, Superbad, The Bourne Ultimatum and Lust, Caution. So if you waited the six weeks or two months for those to leave the first-run cineplex at $10 a pop, you can catch them now for just $3, which is cheaper than you can soon rent them for at Blockbuster. The other place for second-run features, well places, are the McMenamins. They have four theatres in Portland, and four more elsewhere in Oregon (one is in Washington, actually). Their tickets are also just $3 a show. And the McMenamins are all these cool old buildings they restore and then put 1920s-style theaters into, and each seat has a little table in front of it for your beer and pizza.

There are other movie theaters in town, but those are the main ones and those I frequent most often. So in answer to the question, anywhere from $3 to $10, depending.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Matinees at first-run theaters out here around Pittsburgh run at least $5, and sometimes closer to $6. I think we're fairly lucky in that regard. Sometime (within the last several years, I think), the definition of "matinee" around here changed. The cutoff used to be 5:00 PM, but now it's apparently 4:00. I still forget this from time to time and rush to make it to a 4:50 PM show. D'oh.

In the evenings, it's $8.75 at the Loews Waterfront Theater, which is the one I frequent most these days. Not too bad, given that it's a very nice facility with stadium-style seating and the like.

So, for me, it usually ranges from $5 to just under $9. It's climbed a few times since I started going to see movies on a frequent basis (when I was about 15 or so, I suppose), but it seems to have steadied a little over the last year or two.

In Austin, Texas. 6.50 mat/ 8.50 after 6pm.