Do You Get Groceries Delivered? Any Interesting Stories?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
There are three different supermarkets, but only the local chain shows any humanity. Unlike the other two, this one have the shoppers text you when they start, introducing themselves, even telling me, "Let me know if there's anything else I can get for you". And when the store is out of something, they let you know, ask you if you want it substituted, and will sometimes even offer recommendations or items similar.

There's a girl about my age, maybe a few years younger, who has brought my groceries over at least three times. She's very cute in many ways, and on Oct 27th, she texted me to let me know the store was out of street tacos. It's funny, because I only found out about those once someone (maybe her?) said they were out of gyros, but that they had "street tacos" so I thought, "Sure, I'll try them out", and I was surprised how delicious they were, and would try to order them, but they would ALWAYS be out, and I'd usually cancel my order. It was odd because for a few days, they would shown that they were "Out Of Stock", but the minute I saw them back online, I'd order them, and the same thing...

Anyway, she made an error with something, and she texted me that she was willing to go back to the store, but I said, "Na, that's ok.. But you could make it up to me if you watch this new Mort Sahl documentary online", and then I told her he just passed away, and that I was his "pal" (Mort's term), and that he's a legend. She was very warm, and we sent quite a few texts to each other even after she dropped off the groceries. Even though my order was pretty small (since they were out of many things), I gave her a $10 tip, and she thanked me. I thanked her for the humanity.

I made an order last night for this morning, and sure enough, she sent me a text introducing herself. I wasn't sure if it was her, but had a good feeling, and was almost sure after she said, "They're out of foam bowls. Do you want me to go across the street to Dollar General to see if they have any?".

I was floored. What a person! I thought to myself, "How will I even pay her? Is this 'allowed'?" and thought of how I'd pay her (since they ensure it's no-contact) but I didn't want her to go through all the trouble, but she found something good enough anyway.

It was a warm day, the last "warm" day, so I went outside to smoke, knowing I'd get to see her, since I always remained inside for safety reasons previously. We talked a bit, and I even asked, "Did you see that documentary?" but she said she had some problems signing up which she also expressed to me in late October, but I guess it wasn't too important, but she did tell me she went on YouTube and saw a few videos and said she enjoyed it. We did some more small-talk, and we wished each other a Happy New Year if we didn't see each other, and she said it was nice seeing me.

Would you "get personal"? It's too late now, and I don't like to come on too strong, but if I see her again, I might ask if she wants to get to know each other, by text. Probably a good idea to leave it there and let things develop. She has a high-pitched sweet voice that I didn't expect, very pretty face, seems shy but personable. I probably won't, but it's fun to imagine possible scenarios. I don't like putting people on the spot, and I don't think a pandemic is the best time for man/woman stuff. I probably won't in the future, either, but who knows.

3 days ago, I ordered something from Wal-Mart, and they were 7 hours late! I don't like to utilize the online chat unless I have to, and was always promised, "In two hours".. I waited to get my items, and THEN go on to complain. I wish I could have saved all these interactions, because I can get "funny" with made-up stories. When one wasn't helpful, I spoke to someone else until I got $120 refunded, while still keeping the food

Like a lot of people I tried this when COVID hit. Mostly I found it positive: the usual grocery store wasn't great about it, and often we'd leave instructions and they'd just ignore them (or ask a question that the instruction had already addressed). Quality varied a fair bit but overall we were happy and relieved to have the option. Huge spread in quality between the usual guys (which, to be clear, wasn't some mom and pop outfit) and the Whole Foods, which was better by every single measure other than price and (somewhat) availability.

We haven't done it much since we've gotten vaccinated, though.

I've been getting groceries delivered for more than 10 years, for a number of reasons, which are obvious for anyone who is familiar with me. For me, for the sake of £1-2 (generally, especally for me as I am home multiple days through the week so can usually find a slot that suits and it not a premium time slot... although it does depend on what day of the week/time slot selected, which can be upto £5-6 for those that do want weekends or morning/evening deliveries etc), it's a no brainer.

In all that time I can recollect only 2-3 times where I've been a bit annoyed by it, but for the most part the produce is of good quality and freshness, same with any deli or bakery goods etc, and if items are unavailable they always have a subsitute (either larger size of the same item, or a similiar item), which is notified about prior to delivery that day, and if its not what want it can be returned with the driver, and can process a refund no problems. Also they give option to select specific hour/timeslot for delivery and are very reliable in this regard, even sending a text when the driver is on their way to the house, so acan be prepared to take delivery. As I said, it's a no brainer.

I do all of the shopping at my house and it's spread across several different stores. Delivery doesn't interest me as I just like to go and get everything myself, same with takeout.

Go for it Matt!!

Like a lot of people I tried this when COVID hit. Mostly I found it positive: the usual grocery store wasn't great about it, and often we'd leave instructions and they'd just ignore them (or ask a question that the instruction had already addressed). Quality varied a fair bit but overall we were happy and relieved to have the option. Huge spread in quality between the usual guys (which, to be clear, wasn't some mom and pop outfit) and the Whole Foods, which was better by every single measure other than price and (somewhat) availability.

We haven't done it much since we've gotten vaccinated, though.

I know all about them not reading the instructions, but I use it to my advantage, and have got a good chunk refunded back

I do all of the shopping at my house and it's spread across several different stores. Delivery doesn't interest me as I just like to go and get everything myself, same with takeout.

Go for it Matt!!

After (finally) a good night's sleep, I'm thinking maybe it's not a good idea. It is her job to be nice after all, and she didn't thank me this time for the tip. I also don't shop from there too often. I don't wanna fill my head with ideas, especially someone like me who likes to write/imagine.

After (finally) a good night's sleep, I'm thinking maybe it's not a good idea. It is her job to be nice after all, and she didn't thank me this time for the tip. I also don't shop from there too often. I don't wanna fill my head with ideas, especially someone like me who likes to write/imagine.
You never know. Sometimes it’s amasing when the relationship is semi-professional and then the man actually takes the first step. I would never take the first step in this kind of context, because as the supposed “professional” I am more at risk of repercussions, but if the man did, I would love that.

You never know. Sometimes it’s amasing when the relationship is semi-professional and then the man actually takes the first step. I would never take the first step in this kind of context, because as the supposed “professional” I am more at risk of repercussions, but if the man did, I would love that.

I think I'm too much of a dreamer, but I never get this vibe from anyone else. I'm in my own fantasy world

I just had a dream about her last night, and after I went back to sleep after my nightly piss.

I was staying with her and her female roommate in what look like an apartment. I think she did my laundry and then when I got the bag (that was in the form of a paper bag, not unlike I would get from the store she shops from) and I saw (2) $100 bills on top, just laying like that.

Then, I remember hanging out with an ex-friend I grew up with, and remember I had two wads of cash, and kept checking (he was a thief in real life)

When I had to take a leak, I noticed when I woke up, I was sleeping on my left side, which doesn't happen much, since I always go to bed on my right side, unless I can't sleep (and then I switch). So when I got back to bed, I basically entered the bed as if I hit rewind, maneuvering so I could sleep on my left side without turning. It worked, and I fell back asleep, and she came back to my dream, and it was kinda the same dream all over again.

A few weeks ago, I was thinking, "Maybe when one dreams about someone, it's because they were both thinking of each other shortly before bed"..

I just had a dream about her last night, and after I went back to sleep after my nightly piss.

I was staying with her and her female roommate in what look like an apartment. I think she did my laundry and then when I got the bag (that was in the form of a paper bag, not unlike I would get from the store she shops from) and I saw (2) $100 bills on top, just laying like that.

Then, I remember hanging out with an ex-friend I grew up with, and remember I had two wads of cash, and kept checking (he was a thief in real life)

When I had to take a leak, I noticed when I woke up, I was sleeping on my left side, which doesn't happen much, since I always go to bed on my right side, unless I can't sleep (and then I switch). So when I got back to bed, I basically entered the bed as if I hit rewind, maneuvering so I could sleep on my left side without turning. It worked, and I fell back asleep, and she came back to my dream, and it was kinda the same dream all over again.

A few weeks ago, I was thinking, "Maybe when one dreams about someone, it's because they were both thinking of each other shortly before bed"..
That's usually about the time I wake up to my wife saying what the f**k is this

I had groceries delivered about 3 years ago when I was alone & had flu severely. The delivery woman looked to be at least 80 years old & when she rang my bell I thought she was a homeless woman. It was only later when the store texted with her photo to see how I liked the delivery that I realized she was the driver.

No excuse for my rudeness even though I was very sick.

The Adventure Starts Here!
When the pandemic hit, I got hooked on Walmart pickup. (You order and pay online but still drive your car there. They throw your groceries into your car for you and you leave. No charge for this service.) I still use it, but it has nothing to do with the pandemic for me. It's just easier, uses far less of my time, and keeps me from impulse buys.

When my car was out of service for a month (!!), I switched to their delivery option (for a small fee). This was really convenient too, but I'm back to the car pickup method.

The only weird thing that happened was when I got my entire order (about $150 worth of various groceries--all things I had ordered before with no issues)... except for one single can of Bush's baked beans. They SHIPPED THAT to my house separately and it took nearly a week to get here. So, just a box showed up on my front porch, along with that day's other mail, and inside was that one stupid can of beans. Which was probably right there on their store shelves like it always is. (Usually if they don't have an item, they ask if they can substitute, so I have no clue why they shipped one can of beans.)

When the pandemic hit, I got hooked on Walmart pickup. (You order and pay online but still drive your car there. They throw your groceries into your car for you and you leave. No charge for this service.) I still use it, but it has nothing to do with the pandemic for me. It's just easier, uses far less of my time, and keeps me from impulse buys.

When my car was out of service for a month (!!), I switched to their delivery option (for a small fee). This was really convenient too, but I'm back to the car pickup method.

The only weird thing that happened was when I got my entire order (about $150 worth of various groceries--all things I had ordered before with no issues)... except for one single can of Bush's baked beans. They SHIPPED THAT to my house separately and it took nearly a week to get here. So, just a box showed up on my front porch, along with that day's other mail, and inside was that one stupid can of beans. Which was probably right there on their store shelves like it always is. (Usually if they don't have an item, they ask if they can substitute, so I have no clue why they shipped one can of beans.)

I've had this happen, and after 5 weeks (waiting for a 6-pack of glass bottles of Dr. Pepper) I made a separate order, and they were 7 hours late, so I went to the online complain center. The employee found that old order and refunded it as well..

You can filter all of it out at the top (Delivery, Pickup, 2-Day Shipping).. I was making an order today, and to help out, I asked my mom if she wanted anything (since I'm paying $8 for delivery anyway, and know she's coming over after her doctor visit) and she asked for a can of those Bush's Baked Beans. One minute, it was "Pickup Only", then when I changed something around, went back, it became "Pickup/Delivery"..

The Adventure Starts Here!
I've had this happen, and after 5 weeks (waiting for a 6-pack of glass bottles of Dr. Pepper) I made a separate order, and they were 7 hours late, so I went to the online complain center. The employee found that old order and refunded it as well..

You can filter all of it out at the top (Delivery, Pickup, 2-Day Shipping).. I was making an order today, and to help out, I asked my mom if she wanted anything (since I'm paying $8 for delivery anyway, and know she's coming over after her doctor visit) and she asked for a can of those Bush's Baked Beans. One minute, it was "Pickup Only", then when I changed something around, went back, it became "Pickup/Delivery"..
Yup, that's what someone mentioned to me: that even though I'd had no issues with pickup on that item before, I should always make sure I'm not clicking on items that says "Delivery." Who knows what changed? Silly, though.

I actually did an unboxing video of me opening the package of baked beans.

I don't drive so I do a mixture of online supermarket delivery for large food shops(plus the one I use has everything we want and rarely out of things unlike my local) and I walk to my local supermarket for small food shops.

I don't drive so I do a mixture of online supermarket delivery for large food shops(plus the one I use has everything we want and rarely out of things unlike my local) and I walk to my local supermarket for small food shops.
I don’t drive either.

We all float down here....
I just started using Amazon Fresh two weeks ago. I've only had 2 deliveries and both were on time and everything was correct. I hope that continues to be the case.

Duplicate Account (locked)
I tried Instacart as a form of part-time/supplemental labor, unfortunately it sucks where i live. The destinations are all spaced out so you don't make much at all, instacart pays for none of your auto expenses either. I quit because i found an efficient area to stay in, but Food Lion killed my cell coverage and i had to stop.

I'm still waiting for my order from Wal-Mart... 2-3pm on the 24th, it's not 6:11am, the 25th... If I ever get my items, I will complain until the entire thing is refunded (like last time for being 7 hours late).

"I had a Christmas Party! We haven't slept yet. We're waiting for YOUR delivery!" and if that doesn't work, I can argue endlessly, knowing their English isn't very good in India and The Phillipines (I asked yesterday)