Jurassic World 3 (Jurassic World: Dominion)

Tools    

Jurassic World was enjoyable. (a few silly things but hey). Then Fallen Kingdom was kinda a let down. I wouldn't say it was terrible but definitely disappointing in a few aspects. Help us JWD your our only hope.
I actually liked Fallen Kingdom. I appreciated that J.A. Bayona brought his own unique style.

This is almost too funny.

The movie has a prologue which will be seeing actual dinosaurs 65-70 million years ago... some of it was leaked online a few days ago.
So basically, the start of the movie, we'll be seeing like a historical flashback to prehistoric times, and seeing the dinosaurs for real kinda thing.

Problem is, the footage has been absolutely shredded by palaeontologists because for some reason, the filmmakers have decided to put dinosaurs fighting other dinosaurs, that are from totally different time-periods, and from different continents.
Giganotosaurus is seen fighting a T-Rex... yet they lived 30 million years apart

Oh dear.
Not looking good.

This whole thing makes me think about the talentless movie makers we have today.
I've mentioned before about how the biz is totally talentless, with remakes and reboots, sequels upon sequels.

But, this news about Jurassic World: Dominion... has cemented my disdain for modern movies and their writers.

The late great Michael Crichton... before he wrote Jurassic Park, he studied palaeontology. He studied prehistory.
He also studied genetic sciences.
Now, the science seen in Jurassic Park is outdated by today's standards. That science is old now, and the theories behind how to obtain dinosaur DNA are now proven as impossible.
However at the time, in the late 80s and earl7 1990s, it was a possible theory and it was studied in depth.
Crichton studied and spoke to experts in these fields. He based his novel's science, on real, genuine, science.
---
Today though, the writers of Dominion... just threw together something they thought would look cool on screen.
No research. No studying. Just make it look cool.
---

It brings up something else I've mentioned before about how talentless and hollow the business is these days, and funnily enough, it's Jurassic Park again.
See... Steve "Spaz" Williams, the man who designed and built the digital T-Rex in the original Jurassic Park movie... would sit and watch his work for hours and hours. He would spend days, weeks, rendering and animating the Rex he built. Then, sit and watch the footage.
Then, he'd sit again, for hours upon hours... watching the footage again, but in reverse.
In his own words "You can spot a lot of mistake watching an animal run backwards"
One man, months of painstaking work to get it perfect.
Today though... 14,000 animators with no talent or patience... render it, animate it, cut it, print it, and get it in cinemas as fast as possible.

This whole thing makes me think about the talentless movie makers we have today.
I've mentioned before about how the biz is totally talentless, with remakes and reboots, sequels upon sequels.
I do not disagree with but movie makers want to cover the budget of the movie.
They are focused on the promotion of a film, not on research. and it is working for them.

I do not disagree with but movie makers want to cover the budget of the movie.
They are focused on the promotion of a film, not on research. and it is working for them.
Yeah but the original Crichton book and the 1993 movie between them conjured up over a billion in profits.

The major problem is they churn out garbage, and make some profits... then churn out worse garbage, and make less profits.
Surely it's better to actually put the work in, and make not only their pockets heavier, but also the fans happy.
If the fans are happy, then the next movie will also do well, especially if that too had talent behind it.

This was alright. Kind of rushed. Cutting from someone running towards some stairs to them hurtling down the stairs. Cutting from Alan Grant running towards some tunnel and then he's in the tunnel. It's odd. It's just doing too much. I'd hoped there'd be enough "full circle" stuff that this would be slower, more deliberate, and better-paced, like the first film was, but there's none of that. It had to decide to keep being like the newer films, to keep being like newer blockbuster action films, or to go back to those slow-burn quasi-horror roots from the 1993 film, and it chose the former.

There are a few good ideas/sequences. The one where Claire's crawling on the ground and into the little puddle (though even that should've been much slower, and twice as long) was genuinely tense. The whole "protected by the metal walkway and sitting between the jaws" thing was excellent. But a lot of the excellence of these ideas is given right back by how rushed they are.

But really, I already said it: these should be closer to horror films than action films, or at least they need sequences throughout that fit that description. That's the best combination. When they're overwhelmingly action films, there's little point in them existing.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
I really wanted to like JW3 but I just found it to be a mess. The OG cast had little to nothing to do and just seemed to wander from one place to the next and magically appear when the plot needed them to. Don't get me started on Claire and that plane. This film definitely felt rushed and under developed which is a shame but its unfortunately what Hollywood churns out these days. Care, time, dedication and attention to detail are sorely lacking in todays films.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

Welcome to the human race...
It says a lot that this is the first post in this thread since December (especially since the film actually got released back in June). I thought it was atrocious but even I couldn't muster the energy to dig up this thread and post about it.

Meh... I didn't hate it, but it was too convoluted for the sake of being convoluted. The whole Malta thing seemed like just an excuse to be "world hopping", while the whole locust subplot, and even the return of the OGs, felt unnecessary. There are some nice setpieces and the character of Kayla was great, but overall, it's a bit of a mess.