Movie Forums Top 100 of the Aughts (the 00s) - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

I like to use the one-pointer to see/confirm just how out of touch my taste is with the majority.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm too lazy to create a list, sorry. No point in pretending any of the movies from my list would make it, again.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Welcome to the human race...
Would still be interested in your picks, though.

Anyway, I dropped mine off. Dashed it off fairly quickly with no revision (as is my custom). Can't ever bring myself to submit a partial ballot even if that means I throw some random nonsense* in towards the tail end.

*random nonsense that I like, that is

This is a *very* common sentiment, FWIW, but you really don't need to feel like an expert in the period to participate. The countdowns are a mix of all kinds of tastes and experience levels and that variation is what makes them interesting and meaningful. Plus, your ballot's private (only Thief and I can see it and we're not scouring them or anything) unless you choose to reveal it, so any shame is completely internal.

I can tell you plenty of people have submitted ballots that don't have all sorts of influential or avante garde masterpieces or whatever. There's plenty of breadth there.
@CringeFest, I might add that you don't have to get to 25 if you don't feel like. There have been a couple that have submitted ballots with 10 or 20 entries only.

The weighted system we're using ensures that points will be assigned relative to how many you voted, in case you think that your ballot of 10's will stand unfairly against ballots of 25.

[center]
  • Films will be awarded points as follows: 25 points for 1st place, 24 points for 2nd place, 23 for 3rd and so on, all the way down to one point for your 25th placed film.
  • If you submit less than 25 films, then points will be redistributed accordingly (i.e. if you submit 10 films, your top film will receive 10 points, then 9 for your 2nd place, 8 for your 3rd place, etc.)

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
This is a *very* common sentiment, FWIW, but you really don't need to feel like an expert in the period to participate. The countdowns are a mix of all kinds of tastes and experience levels and that variation is what makes them interesting and meaningful. Plus, your ballot's private (only Thief and I can see it and we're not scouring them or anything) unless you choose to reveal it, so any shame is completely internal.

I can tell you plenty of people have submitted ballots that don't have all sorts of influential or avante garde masterpieces or whatever. There's plenty of breadth there.
Word.

@CringeFest
For whatever it's worth, I was devastated two hours after submitting my list last night having completely forgotten that Balls of Fury was a 2007 flick. While there are a few cinematic landmarks in my list, most of my priorities are based in my enjoyment. So even those are ranked relative to what I personally got out of them. I mean, more ping pong.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I'm too lazy to create a list, sorry. No point in pretending any of the movies from my list would make it, again.
If you can still come up with a list, then there is no harm in submitting it. Maybe MoFo will surprise you

Oh surely you liked a few normie films during that decade...

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I think PG's talking about something a bit different: films that maybe occupy a special place in your memory because you were very young when you saw them, or they remind you of something else, but which you recognize you probably wouldn't love otherwise.

If you see your first Pixar movie as a kid it's probably going to hit you a lot different than the 20th you see as an adult, or whatever, even if the later films are better made. Similarly, if you fall in love at 17 and break up and then see High Fidelity right after, that's probably gonna land pretty well relative to seeing it at 53 and happily married. Stuff like that.

Basically, it's the recognition that we like films for many reasons, some of which are idiosyncratic and arbitrary, and wondering how much to try to parse that out.

I still say if you rewatch it years later and can still recognize it as a legit good movie, it's listworthy. like yeah, these biases exist but if you can rewatch it years later and it still hits you hard, I think it's more than just because of something personal in your life, you're vibing with the acting, the writing, the soundtrack, whatever, because you enjoy it. that's listworthy. imo of course

For sure, everyone decides for themselves how to judge that. A list can be a reflection of someone's life, an expression of the medium, or even an expression of the distance between the two.

I'm less interested in advocating for any of these than I am in advocating that attempting to divorce your experiences from your cinematic opinions is one of the valid options, for people who want to, and doesn't necessarily mean subsuming your own opinions to aggregate preferences or whatever.

Duplicate Account (locked)

i would hate myself even worse if i didn't hold myself to the high standard that i do.

i would hate myself even worse if i didn't hold myself to the high standard that i do.
I'm too lazy to Google that blonde lady math GIF but just pretend I posted that.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Oh surely you liked a few normie films during that decade...
Don't care about the social aspects of these lists. You can easily look up my highest-rated films of the 2000s here on my RYM account.

If you can still come up with a list, then there is no harm in submitting it. Maybe MoFo will surprise you
We just need one more vote for Re-Penetrator to push it into the top 10. Let's make it happen, people!

The next person to submit a list will bring us to 79, tied for the fourth-highest ballot total since we started doing these (this is the 18th, I believe).

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Ok 42 films shortlisted, now time to trim and tidy.