Movies you thought were really wierd

Tools    

This just came up in another thread, but Metropolis (1927) and the 90's noir fantasy movie visually inspired by it - Dark City.

Duplicate Account (locked)
You say weird as if it is a bade thing.(Ha ha) I agree Lynch's movies are weird, strange, etc. But that's what I like about them. Not just Lynch. many would say that Terry Gilliam is weird. I like his movies as well. I'm always on the lookout for movies that are unconventional or weird. You get a lot of bad hits, but it takes a real talent to pull of an absurd or weird movie. Lynch, Gilliam and others know how to pull it off.

i never implied that...in fact, the purpose of posting the thread is so that i can watch these movies in the future.

His name is Cringefest. I'd be surprised if he didn't watch weird movies.

Btw, Manos has sequels. I heard they were better.

Agreed. I did not try to compare Gilliam and Lynch, i was just pointing out that they were both directors who many would call weird. I don't really know if I could name anybody that is like Lynch.

Comparing Gilliam to Lynch would be weird in itself. Gilliam's weirdness is much more playful and fanciful, while Lynch's weirdness leans more toward being dark and disturbing.

i never implied that...in fact, the purpose of posting the thread is so that i can watch these movies in the future.

It was a poor attempt at a joke. (See the Ha ha) I really like absurd, strange, weird movies, and will be watching this thread for suggestions on what to watch.

Meanwhile,

Angel Heart
I second Lost Highway
Brazil
The Mirror of Dr. Parnasus
Blue Velvet
The Eternal Sunshine of the spotless Mind
8 1/2
Stardust Memories
I'll have to think about it, but that is a start)

It was a poor attempt at a joke. (See the Ha ha) I really like absurd, strange, weird movies, and will be watching this thread for suggestions on what to watch.
many jokes get lost on the internet...

I saw the beginning of "reminiscence" last night, i thought it was really wierd and i couldn't understand what the characters were saying. Probably a result of delta-8 thc gummies.

Comparing Gilliam to Lynch would be weird in itself. Gilliam's weirdness is much more playful and fanciful, while Lynch's weirdness leans more toward being dark and disturbing.

"Playful and fanciful" seems applicable to some parts of Brazil, I guess.

One might make a comparison between Gilliam and Fellini because they both started out as animators.
Though in terms of darkish animation, maybe Jan Svankmajer's Alice? It's been a long time since I've seen it.

For the thread in general:
Speaking of Fellini, while I think his best is 8 1/2, the one that comes to mind the most when someone says "the characters are Fellini-esque," is Satyricon.

I think Ken Russel's The Devils was a movie where by a certain point in the movie I had to mentally pause and think, "how the **** did we get here?"
I had some type of similar experience when by the end of Dogtooth when it first came out. Though now that Lanthimos is somehow a Oscar nominated film director, I guess his sense of humor wouldn't be as alien for anyone encountering it for the first time.

Just going off of more memories:
I went into Possession (1981) knowing very little about it when I first saw it, and it definitely zagged when I thought it was going to zig.

Hausu, is well known now, but it came out of nowhere for me about 12 years and was bonkers.

I'll affirm people saying Zardoz.

In college, I think my brain was still more literal and was very confused by Naked Lunch. Maybe a decade later, I read the book hoping it would clarify the movie. I found myself going back to the movie in hopes of it explaining the book. The movie seemed to make perfect sense after that. The book... Um...

In case the OP meant wired movies, I'll also mention Videodrome and Tetsuo: The Iron Man. There are wires in those movies. The Fly as well, to a lesser extent, IIRC.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
How to Get Ahead in Advertising (1989)