Arrival (2016)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I kind of liked it, but I didn't like the ending so much, cause once the aliens reveal why they came to Earth, the explanation was incredibly simple, like they were trying to find an in the nutshell explanation to a very out of the nutshell scenario.

They also really don't explain how the protagonist was able to decipher the aliens language. They just show a montage of her looking at it over months of time, and then when the montage is over, she has it figured out, but it didn't really explain it scientifically, which I really was interested to know.

So I have mixed feelings about it on the first viewing, but it does have a lot of good moments.

A system of cells interlinked
I suppose you could argue this really demonstrates divide in how people view sci fi, for some its a genre that allows for focus on interesting scientific concepts but for others its more about creating stories that allows you to explore dramatic/philosophical stories in a more focused fashion. Personally I think the very best sci fi like say Blade Runner or Solaris(or more recently Under The Skin or Hard to Be A God) does the latter whilst Arrival points a little in that direction but doesn't fully commit to it.
I think sci-fi that focuses on the human story/existential questions usually turn out to be my favorites. The stuff in Arrival about the choice Louise eventually makes...

WARNING: "Arrival" spoilers below
To still have her child and cherish the little time she they would have together, even though she knew the dreadfully tragic and even life-destroying outcome.

...was incredibly powerful. As Yoda said, the way it speaks to suffering and existential dread is hard hitting stuff.

They also really don't explain how the protagonist was able to decipher the aliens language. They just show a montage of her looking at it over months of time, and then when the montage is over, she has it figured out, but it didn't really explain it scientifically, which I really was interested to know.
I think it had something to do with her exposure to the alien environment on the ship. I think it had begun to alter her, perhaps on a genetic level.

I suppose you could argue this really demonstrates divide in how people view sci fi, for some its a genre that allows for focus on interesting scientific concepts but for others its more about creating stories that allows you to explore dramatic/philosophical stories in a more focused fashion.
This. The best sci-fi stories do both, but this is a sharp divide. The former is usually called "hard" sci-fi, and it's a big thing in written sci-fi in particular. I kinda bounce between the two; when I was younger I cared more about the concept and its exploration. Now the slant is less pronounced.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Best cinematic experience for me this decade and probably the best film too.

I think sci-fi that focuses on the human story/existential questions usually turn out to be my favorites. The stuff in Arrival about the choice Louise eventually makes...

WARNING: "Arrival" spoilers below
To still have her child and cherish the little time she they would have together, even though she knew the dreadfully tragic and even life-destroying outcome.

...was incredibly powerful. As Yoda said, the way it speaks to suffering and existential dread is hard hitting stuff.

Yes I felt that was the strongest aspect of the film as well and would have liked to see it given more focus rather than just hints though out and then at the end.

That evil army thing was the lamest part of Avatar too.
That's been quite a common thing over the last decade I think.

In Doctor Who in the Seventies the Doctor often worked with U.N.I.T, a military organisation dealing with alien or supernatural threats. They weren't always perfect but they were the good guys. When they came back in the new series during David Tennant's time there was that strong air of disapproval of the military coming from the writers. The soldiers were even dressed in black with red berets, arguably making them look quite sinister. By the time of Peter Capaldi the Doctor's attitude towards any soldier was becoming quite irrational, as if they were automatically amoral and corrupted.

I just re-watched this movie. I think it is a wonderful movie.

I would love to see a sequel to this movie set 3000 years in the future -- the time when the heptapod Abbott stated that they (the heptapod civilization) will need humanity's help.

(NOTE: I did a search but couldn't determine if this has been discussed. If so, point me to it and I will post there . . . )

I just re-watched this movie. I think it is a wonderful movie.

I would love to see a sequel to this movie set 3000 years in the future -- the time when the heptapod Abbott stated that they (the heptapod civilization) will need humanity's help.

(NOTE: I did a search but couldn't determine if this has been discussed. If so, point me to it and I will post there . . . )
Arrival is indeed a great movie, but I'd have little interest in seeing a sequel give an explanation as to what the aliens will need our help with; a little bit of mystery goes a long way in storytelling, I say.

I ordered the collection of short stories (Stories of Your Life and Others) by Ted Chiang, which has the short story, Story Of Your Life, which the screenplay of Arrival was based on. Maybe there is more about this future need by the Heptapods. I will update this thread if there is more info in Mr. Chiang's short story.