Lost Highway

→ in
Tools    

Still not sure where this "need" is coming into play
Maybe need isn't the right word, but I just felt that it was less powerful on subsequent viewings knowing what had happened, and I prefer movies where he deals with similar human themes in other ways. And I feel without it people might think less of the film. It's not that much of a criticism of the film, it's just more my preference of other Lynch works that I've seen. Like I said, I still think it's a great film.

I personally like Mulholland Dr. more than Lost Highway for quite a few reasons. Lost Highway is very cold, and almost emotionless. Not a bad thing at all, but with Mulholland Dr. there's this sense of tragedy and lingering hopelessness in my eyes. The Club Silencio scene being especially powerful. I feel Lynch perfected his art style with Mulholland Dr. It looks warm and almost happy on the surface, but there's something darker and much more sinister lying beneath. A theme we've seen in both Twin Peaks, and Blue Velvet.
I agree with this. Mulholland Drive feels more tragic and hopeless as times, the female characters are used similarly to Laura Palmer, we have beautiful women with hopes and dreams that are being corrupted and we know they are powerless to stop the evil around them. The Silencio seen that evokes emotion is a typical Lynch device that reminds me of Julie Cruise singing "The World Spins" as we find out the killer in Twin Peaks.

I feel Lost Highway is actually, perhaps, Mullholland Drive's male counterpart. Mulholland Drive is Audrey, Lost Highway is James Hurley, the two most charismatic young souls of Twin Peaks (even if James is annoying at times).

Maybe spoilers ahead.

In Mulholland Drive the female creates a vision to hide her own guilt, and in Lost Highway a male does.

Lost Highway is about sexual paranoia, in most Lynch works he deals with sexual themes, and this one it's the main driving cause behind Fred's motivations of killing his wife. He is jealous and doesn't trust her, he is spying on her using the mysterious man figure that he has imagined up to hide this insecurity and eventually murders her and her lover. He tries to hide this and builds his own idealistic vision when he is the popular guy who is sleeping with another person's partner, the opposite situation to reality. It felt personal to me in this kind of way, and I was fascinated with Fred's character as I still am, I think it's a very powerful character study and the narrative structure is actual pretty linear and in fitting with the mind of Fred.

Finished here. It's been fun.
^ I agree completely, and to be honest you've changed my entire outlook of Lost Highway. Woah. David Lynch films for the most part all feel very personal, and deal with these heavy themes in a professional,subtle ways. I must say i'm not the biggest fan of Eraserhead though, although I do respect how unique and unconventional it is.

^ I agree completely, and to be honest you've changed my entire outlook of Lost Highway. Woah. David Lynch films for the most part all feel very personal, and deal with these heavy themes in a professional,subtle ways. I must say i'm not the biggest fan of Eraserhead though, although I do respect how unique and unconventional it is.
David Lynch films are built for discussions and analysis, so discussing/arguing with others is always good, and I like to think that if someone asks I can explain my thoughts on Lynch and makes sense I would write a review for something like Lost Highway but I feel its better suited to this type of discussion, like I did with the Inland Empire thread.

And I don't share the same love for Eraserhead as others do either, but again I still think its a great film that is an interesting watch, its a very slow burner in terms of atmosphere even by Lynch standards, but I do love it's craziness with things like the mutant baby and a young Jack Nance lead. It's probably his most difficult and personal film though, I'd see it's even more pure Lynch than Inland Empire, where even he goes a bit over the top in experimenting with all sorts of things. I think after Eraserhead he had to settle down a bit, for better or worse, and made some more grounded films, then he did his 'dream logic trilogy' ending with Inland Empire where he had complete control. I wouldn't say I like the early, middle or latter section of his filmography any more than another, which is what makes dissecting his different films so interesting.

I really dug Lost Highway when I saw it, and it is in my top 5 Lynch movies as well. I still prefer Mulholland Drive to it, but then again I prefer Eraserhead and Blue Velvet to both. Blue Velvet being a top ten favorite movie of all time.

Lynch does seem to be like Kubrick in the fact that he has made multiple masterpieces, and you can have a serious debate on which one is his best movie. Makes it half the fun of the discussion.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I really dug Lost Highway when I saw it, and it is in my top 5 Lynch movies as well. I still prefer Mulholland Drive to it, but then again I prefer Eraserhead and Blue Velvet to both. Blue Velvet being a top ten favorite movie of all time.

Lynch does seem to be like Kubrick in the fact that he has made multiple masterpieces, and you can have a serious debate on which one is his best movie. Makes it half the fun of the discussion.
Plus David Lynch films are extremely divisive as are Kubrick films. What I think Kubrick and Lynch do that few directors can is push the boundaries of film and storytelling to new levels. Just look at 2001, or Mulholland Dr. Pretty much nothing like those films out there.

Plus David Lynch films are extremely divisive as are Kubrick films. What I think Kubrick and Lynch do that few directors can is push the boundaries of film and storytelling to new levels. Just look at 2001, or Mulholland Dr. Pretty much nothing like those films out there.
Oh certainly! Some people thing 2001 is boring, others (like myself) see it as a visual spectacle, others think it is the greatest movie ever made. Some people adore Eyes Wide Shut, others think it sucks. Some people read different meanings into Kubrick's works. Either way, the men have left permanent makes on film for the better and have given us some brilliant films!