Lost Highway

→ in
Tools    

I hope they come up with a nice dvd box for it..
I remember seeing one for Videodrome.. it was shaped like a videotape.

EDIT: Tried searching for it, maybe It wasn't for videodrome.. can't recall much at the moment.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The best thing I can say about Lost Highway is that it's better than Inland Empire. Sorry to be such a bitch...

Okay. So I just watched this film, I loved it, but I will write more about it again. At the moment I was just thinking about something though. Lynch said it takes place in the same world as Twin Peaks, and with Mulholland Drive didn't he say the original script was kind of based off Audrey's character heading off to become an actress. In this film I felt he took a lot of elements from the James Hurley character with Pete, a biker, car mechanic and womaniser

Basically, Lost Highway is about:

WARNING: "Lost Highway" spoilers below
In order to hide the guilt of murdering his wife, Fred Madison dreams of becoming James Hurley

Finished here. It's been fun.
^Crazy Theory.Even crazier film. Lost Highway is a tough nut to crack, it's Lynch turning the crazy up to 10. Mulholland Dr. and Blue Velvet are superior films though.

I prefer Lost Highway to Mullholland Drive, definitely. Well it's basically the same thing, but better in my opinion In fact I would unlike most people rate Mulholland Drive near the bottom of Lynch's films when ranked, but that's not to say I still don't like it. My top five Lynch films in no order are Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Inland Empire, Elephant Man and Lost Highway

And I was happy with Lost Highway in that as soon as I watched it I think I have pretty much worked out the film and I checked online and my theory pretty much matches what other people think, it wasn't that hard to work out in my opinion, makes much more sense than Inland Empire but that's not saying much.

You've been dippin' too much into the old quinoa.
I think Lost Highway is a much more accessible film than Inland Empire though, and I think it's an almost identical film to Mulholland Drive, so I am not sure why that film is so loved and this one so hated. I know you don't particularly like any (well, you prefer MD) though But I thought the dark visuals, story and cast were much more effective in this film than any other.

I prefer Lost Highway to Mullholland Drive, definitely. Well it's basically the same thing, but better in my opinion In fact I would unlike most people rate Mulholland Drive near the bottom of Lynch's films when ranked, but that's not to say I still don't like it. My top four Lynch films in no order are Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Inland Empire and Lost Highway
I've not seen the others that you listed, but Mulholland Drive is a million times better than Blue Velvet.

Both have elements of horror and noir. I think MD is the better film overall but I also like LH a lot.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

What exactly makes Blue Velvet better?
The way that it takes such a simplistic concept of good versus evil and that evil lying beneath a happy suburbantown and turning it into a powerful film. I've wrote a lot about it before. Mulholland Drive relies more on its unique narrative (or lack of) style that makes the story more mysterious, it works, but it gets weaker after the first viewing for me. I still think it's a great film, and I love it, just Blue Velvet has remained more powerful for me on repeat viewings. I have no problems with people preferring one over another, my direct comment was wrote like that seeing as yours was too Here's what I wrote about it in my top 150 thread: http://www.movieforums.com/community...d.php?p=905432

There's a load of Lynch films I'd rank ahead of Mulholland Drive that many would probably disagree with me over though, although I think that's the beauty of him as a director as his films are so polarising.

Mulholland Drive relies more on its unique narrative (or lack of) style that makes the story more mysterious, it works, but it gets weaker after the first viewing for me.
You obviously don't see the movie the way I do, then. That sentence alone was enough for me to understand why you prefer Blue Velvet.

Yes, Mulholland Drive's narrative style is indeed very unique, but that's not why I think it's a great movie. Memento also has a unique narrative style, but it has no emotion at all. Mulholland Drive, on the other hand, is a movie about life. That is how I would sum up the picture in one sentence. But I could go on for days, really.

I'm not sure if your trying to say I don't get Mulholland Drive, but if you are I think you're wrong. I've seen it a few times, and I could write a lot about it too, like I said, I still think it's a great movie, it's just that I prefer other Lynch works. Yes it is a very emotional film too that is beautiful and haunting without it's narrative structure, and it says a lot about life, dreams and other stuff, but I think in Lynch's other films he deals with human themes equally or with much more focus without needing the jumbled narrative.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I personally like Mulholland Dr. more than Lost Highway for quite a few reasons. Lost Highway is very cold, and almost emotionless. Not a bad thing at all, but with Mulholland Dr. there's this sense of tragedy and lingering hopelessness in my eyes. The Club Silencio scene being especially powerful. I feel Lynch perfected his art style with Mulholland Dr. It looks warm and almost happy on the surface, but there's something darker and much more sinister lying beneath. A theme we've seen in both Twin Peaks, and Blue Velvet.