80's-early 90's horror movie

Tools    

The beginning of the movie starts in a city park (New York?)
City workers are digging and find a stone (I think it had markings on it and I remember it being black)
A businessman obtains it to impress his archaeologist lady friend. The woman is the love interest of the protagonist.
The businessman becomes infected(?) by the stone and is turned into or unleashes a monster. This part is a little foggy in my memory.
The protagonist finds a legend, or something, and searches for answers in an old church. It is currently being renovated and ladders and scaffolding are placed around the pews. On the ceiling there is a mural of a battle with the monster that was locked in the stone.
He looks at the warrior fighting the monster and grabs a hammer and chisel. He climbs a ladder or scaffolding and chisels away at the axe the hero is holding in the mural. He uncovers the actual axe and leaves to slay the beast.
The end is a little hazy, but it takes place in a new building that the businessman just opened. A party is going on to celebrate the opening and find of the rock (I think).
There was a woman in a room with a glass wall, for displays, and she was ironing. I think she was dancing. She was wearing monster feet slippers. Then the real monster shows up and kills her.
I do not remember what the creature looked like.
And the only scene I can remember for certain is the scene with the church.
Any help identifying this movie will be appreciated.
And it is not "The Relic" or "Frailty"

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
You are thinking of Rawhead Rex(1986) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091829/

The movie is based on one of Clive Barker's short stories in the Book of Blood, also where you would find the short story for Hellraiser, The hellbound heart.

unfortunately Rawhead Rex is not the movie I am remembering. Though it has strong similarities.

It could be The Church (1989) or maybe Warlock (1989) or Warlock: Armageddon (1993). My memory is a little hazy but one of them could be the one.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
I thought he could be talking about The Church too, but thats more along the line of demon possession.

Sadly, none of them are it. I appreciate the great suggestions so far.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
The runestone
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

The Runestone(1991) is it. Thank you, didn't think I would actually find it. Some of the events I remembered were out of chronological order. Thanks for all the suggestions and all the help. I remembered him being more respectful to the mural, though.