2022 Film Challenge

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't intend to put it in that category but after watching it I figured it probably fit in. I also bumped into two other films while looking for this category that apparently fit and look promising: The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant and Still Walking. Just name dropping in case you are looking for inspiration.

I also bumped into two other films while looking for this category that apparently fit and look promising: The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant.
I 100% endorse this film for any category it can fit into!

The trick is not minding
Another Reason I’m looking forward to (eventually) subscribing to The Criterion Channel is it will give me access to Fassbinder, a director I’ve wanted to dig into for so long but have yet to watch a single film of his.

Another Reason I’m looking forward to (eventually) subscribing to The Criterion Channel is it will give me access to Fassbinder, a director I’ve wanted to dig into for so long but have yet to watch a single film of his.
They have like ALL of his films.

The trick is not minding
Another reason for me bite the bullet and subscribe.

On an unrelated note….for anyone who has seen A Boy and His Dog, is the movie set mostly in a chaotic metropolis, or is it set mostly in a wasteland similar to Mad Max?

Just trying to round out my choices for the categories with what I’ve found available.

Another reason for me bite the bullet and subscribe.

On an unrelated note….for anyone who has seen A Boy and His Dog, is the movie set mostly in a chaotic metropolis, or is it set mostly in a wasteland similar to Mad Max?

Just trying to round out my choices for the categories with what I’ve found available.
It’s been awhile, but my recollection is mostly a wasteland.

Thank you. Still going to watch it, but going to grumble about it not fitting my category.
Yeah, it is mostly wasteland. And something else that isn't a metropolis but it would be spoiler-ish to say more than that.

I wish.

There is still about 8-10 of them I've yet to be able to find anywhere.

EDIT:

Looks like 8

Germany in Autumn
Lili Marlene
The Coffeeshop
Women in New York
Like a Bird on a Wire
Nora Helmer
Bremen Freedom
Theater in Trance

I wish.

There is still about 8-10 of them I've yet to be able to find anywhere.
Shorts or features? I felt like when I was comparing IMDb to what they had it was pretty close.

B. It's a big world out there:
[Watch a film from the following regions]
1. Scandinavia Miss Julie
2. Sub-Saharan Africa Mandabi
3. Middle East This is Not a Film
4. Balkans Innocence Unprotected
5. Indian Subcontinent The Music Room
6. Oceania Mystery Road

I'd recommend all of these, even if I thought that Miss Julie was just okay. The rest are all special or important in ways that make me think they should all be seen.

C. Lets break this down, shall we?
[Pick one of the following genres and watch one film from each of its subgenres or themes listed below]
1. [Western: Revisionist] Chato’s Land
2. [Western: Spaghetti] Death Rides a Horse
3. [Western: Epic] Dances with Wolves
4. [Western: Neo-Western] The Harder They Fall

All good. Death Rides a Horse is probably the one I enjoyed the most. I imagine a lot of the charm in The Harder They Fall would fade on a second viewing, but I enjoyed it once around.

The trick is not minding
C. Lets break this down, shall we?
[Pick one of the following genres and watch one film from each of its subgenres or themes listed below]
1. [Western: Revisionist] Chato’s Land
2. [Western: Spaghetti] Death Rides a Horse
3. [Western: Epic] Dances with Wolves
4. [Western: Neo-Western] The Harder They Fall

All good. Death Rides a Horse is probably the one I enjoyed the most. I imagine a lot of the charm in The Harder They Fall would fade on a second viewing, but I enjoyed it once around.
Oh hey, I chose western as well!

I figure, much like I did with last year when I chose crime sub genres, I watch a lot of horror and sci fi already, so why not choose something different?

Oh hey, I chose western as well!

I figure, much like I did with last year when I chose crime sub genres, I watch a lot of horror and sci fi already, so why not choose something different?
Yeah, last year I did sci-fi and then on my second round I did horror.

The trick is not minding
I’ll toss a few recommendations finally for this, after thinking on it for a bit, with year and country included:

The Assassin (2015, Taiwan)
The Ox (1991, Sweden)
The Thief (1997, Russia)
The Whisperers (1967, Britain)
Mademoiselle (1966, French-British)

So far this month I've watched 22 films by Sci-Fi master Jack Arnold (with a couple more to go). I'm saving the sci-fi films for another category but for now I'm using the leftovers for this one. If anyone is in the market for a good Western I recommend No Name on the Bullet.

I have a vision...
watch 10 films from the same director
JACK ARNOLD
1. The Glass Web (1953)
2. The Man From Bitter Ridge (1955)
3. Red Sundown (1956)
4. High School Confidential! (1958)
5. No Name on the Bullet (1959)
6. The Mouse That Roared (1959)
7. Bachelor In Paradise (1961)
8. The Lively Set (1964)
9. Hello Down There (1969)
10. Black Eye (1974)

After some internet research I have picked my Victorian Novel adaptation and, yes, it will be Muppet Treasure Island and, yes, I am VERY pleased about this.

D. I coulda been a contender:
[Watch a film that has won the following awards]
1. Cannes Film Festival I Daniel Blake
2. Academy Award Nomadland
3. Sundance Film Festival Computer Chess
4. Venice International Film Festival The Kite
5. Independent Spirit Crazy Heart

Computer Chess was a bit of a let-down, but the rest were all very good. Especially I, Daniel Blake and Nomadland.