My Top 250 Movies

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
By the way, @matt72582, don't ever delete this thread, I'll create a watchlist. Never saw Umut in my life, and it appears the type of film I'd love. It's getting harder and harder to find something I'd want to watch.

I won't delete this. Believe me, I know exactly what you mean. I go through major slumps, especially during COVID, which is extra sad, but when I do see a good movie, it's amazing. I just noticed I recorded my 2,400th rating on IMDB, but I've only seen about 2-3 great movies in the last 2-3 years. No more than 10-15 good movies, but a lot of crappy ones, but it's expected this late in my life. When I was 17-18, I saw great movies all the time.

I welcome all recommendations, too. It's cool to fill out the Top 10, but most have seen those. If I like your Top 10, then I figure there's a great chance I'd like your #11 for example.... Nowadays, if I'm not into a movie within the first 30 minutes, I turn it off. But just being in the mood to select something is tough.

GENERAL DELLA ROVERE

Vittorio De Sica's performance is so great in this, although he's more recognized as a director. My favorite. The master of masterpieces.

THE LEOPARD

Probably my 2nd favorite director - Luchino Visconti
The Leopard is great. I've either liked or loved everything I've seen from Visconti so far.

The trick is not minding
Visconti is a director I started to dig into a year ago. I’ve seen his first film (Osessione, which is decent) and his last film (The Innocents, which isn’t that good). Strange, that I haven’t seen his middle work yet.

I forgot the opening line.
HEAPS of interesting stuff here I've never seen. So far, I've seen and really like Flight of the Phoenix, Lolita, Hell in the Pacific, Joe, A Streetcar Named Desire, Mary and Max, The Merchant of Four Seasons and Good Will Hunting.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

EASY RIDER

Jack Nicholson steals the show. I find it hilarious when he does his "Nik, nik, nik, nik, nik, nik, nik, nik - Swamp." (always ending the sentence with a summary of the place or state of mind). Especially the scene around the fire, where all three are smoking real marihuana.

Billy:
What the hell's wrong with freedom, man? That's what it's all about.
George:
Oh yeah, that's right, that's what it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it - that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. 'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.

"This used to be a damn good country"

FALLING DOWN

Michael Douglas' best role. The 90's version of "Taxi Driver". And some humorous scenes, too. I cracked up laughing after the "This entire shelf looks suspect" <takes a bat through it all>

THE GETAWAY

I think my favorite part of this is when Steve McQueen says what I was thinking... "Why are we doing this?" .. You pull a caper off, but then have to live in fear for your life - how can you enjoy that money. And marital problems on top, and a whole lotta other ***

Crossfire has been mentioned here a lot lately it seems. Overall, it's a solid film.

Do you remember which thread? I'd like to read what others had to say about it. I saw this a long time ago, and saw it again about 10 years ago.

BLIND

One of the most unique movies I've seen. A woman in her own world. She becomes blind, and she writes down her imagination, which becomes "true" which is not known for sure, but it doesn't matter much to me. For those who like "Last Year In Marienbad", I'd recommend you this movie. It's much better. I don't think it's as complex as many who have reviewed this movie, but then again, I identify with this woman. I let my imagination wander and use it to imagine a better life!

The trick is not minding
FALLING DOWN

Michael Douglas' best role. The 90's version of "Taxi Driver". And some humorous scenes, too. I cracked up laughing after the "This entire shelf looks suspect" <takes a bat through it all>
This movie. Yes! I want to highlight this film that captured early 90’s anger and frustration. It’s not subtle, but it doesn’t need to be. Held together by a peak performance by Michael Douglas.

“You mean, I’m the bad guy?”
That look of confusion and realization on his face sums it all up.

Do you remember which thread? I'd like to read what others had to say about it. I saw this a long time ago, and saw it again about 10 years ago.
I don't remember all the threads, but there was some writing on it here. Also, a couple people reviewed it in the "Rate the Last Movie You Saw" thread in the past few months or so, like WHITBISSELL! and GulfportDoc.