Coronavirus

Tools    

Once again:

BS? Prove it. I want hard stats or you just blowing smoke.
Once again:

Stats on what? That people have to get food in order to stay alive but they don’t have to go on cruises? Is that a joke?

A system of cells interlinked
Right, but, surely, the “short staffing issues” are due to the fact that members of the staff have Covid?
I think it is more so that many health care workers were fired recently for non-compliance with mandates. This includes doctors and nurses who already had covid, and therefore had natural immunity. That depends on the area/region, though.

Once again:

Stats on what? That people have to get food in order to stay alive but they don’t have to go on cruises? Is that a joke?
Joke, I was going to ask you the same thing.

Go read the chain of post. You made a challenge to what I said in my post and I asked for hard stats. If you can't prove hard stats then you're just venting.

You made a challenge to what I said in my post and I asked for hard stats. If you can't prove hard stats then you're just venting.
Hard stats on what? I will not ask this again.

Also I'm still waiting for you to quote those posts where I've talked about going out with friends.

Hard stats on what? I will not ask this again.

Also I'm still waiting for you to quote those posts where I've talked about going out with friends.
Go read the older post, I will not ask you again.

A system of cells interlinked
@Austruck - I am not fearful at all, really. I am vaxxed etc., and am one of those maskless people that cause controversary from time to time. I wear a mask if required, but only then. Most of the people I know that have had it, including my sister, have come through it fairly easily.

The odd thing is that one of the people at work that got it, had brought brownies in to work, of which I ate two. She was diagnosed that night with COVID.

Going out with friends is also avoidable, yet I've seen you post about doing just that.

You quoted me first, now I want hard stats backing up your claims.
Since you won't answer my question and are being difficult for the sake of being difficult, I guess we're at a stalemate.

Since you won't answer my question and are being difficult for the sake of being difficult, I guess we're at a stalemate then.
Guess so...

So Vicky, did all of your venting make you happy today? I think it probably had the opposite effect on you. Remember you quoted me in a challenge and not the other way around.

Oh and I still say Austruck and others will be safer on a cruise ship than repeatability going out into crowded public areas like grocery stores. And I certainly don't think people should be afraid to do what they want if it's legal to do so.

Think I'll count my pennies and see if I can afford a cruise

So Vicky, did all of your venting make you happy today?
I didn't vent about anything today, so no?

I stated the obvious fact that grocery shopping is necessary and going on a cruise isn't. I also stated both have risks and that taking a risk to get life-sustaining food is not equivalent to taking a risk in order to go on vacation.

To me, "want" is a strong word. You can disagree and that's fine.
So if he'd said "I disagree with my co-worker going on a cruise" instead of "I want my co-worker to not go on a cruise", there wouldn't have been any conversation?

Again: in the absence of any power (which he does not have), it doesn't matter how strong a word want is.

I probably shouldn't have said anything, as I wasn't referring to this other dispute...but no I don't think needing to step out of the house should be equated with cruise ships...I was mostly just saying that no amount of complaining about people not fallowing the rules is going to change the current situation, I'm sorry that you feel trapped with people who aren't being that considerate.
And I apologize for being a bit snarky. I do think that socializing and exercise is important. I've been working out with friends and family over Zoom. At the start of the pandemic, a friend invited me to a virtual D&D/game-playing group and we've met every Friday for the lats two years. It is important, yet I think there are ways to get exercise and social time that are more or less risky. Now is a good time to pick the less risky options.

(Yet, I've been sick more in the last two years after wearing masks, social distancing and living an isolated lifestyle with infectious illnesses - so how I'm getting them, I don't know if these measures are supposed to prevent transmission of contagions. SEEMS like I've caught more viral infections with the consistent use of these mitigation efforts than I ever did before using them.)
I've had perfect attendance every marking period for the last two years, because for the first time in 11 years of teaching I haven't gotten sick in the fall or the spring (which at this point has become a predictable annual event).

Protect yourself and your mother the best that you can because focusing on other people is a waste of time and stress.
But you understand that the behavior of other people directly impacts his ability in terms of protecting himself and by extension his mother, right? Because if the people around you aren't taking precautions (masking, hand-washing, etc), that increases your risk. He doesn't have the luxury of not caring about his co-worker's behavior. And he's allowed to vent about that a bit.

My curiosity is not how many "cases" are out there now, but how many hospitalizations and deaths are happening. I was surprised to learn, for instance, that the first Omicron death in the U.S. happened only a few weeks ago. If you'd listen to only the wording of news headlines ("surge," "outbreak," "overwhelming," etc.), you'd have thought people were dropping like flies.
The "death wave" always follows a bit after the infection wave. Hospitalizations are certainly up, hitting record highs in many places.

There are two variables pulling different directions in terms of how many deaths there might be: the number of cases is higher (more deaths), but the general severity of the Omicron variation is lesser (fewer deaths).

Go read the chain of post. You made a challenge to what I said in my post and I asked for hard stats. If you can't prove hard stats then you're just venting.
You are misreading her assertion. She is asserting that cruise ships are not a necessity, while grocery shopping is. And that comparing them in terms of risk therefore doesn't make sense. In other words, going to a hospital waiting room right now because you are having a heart attack is probably more risky than attending a concert where all attendees are masked and vaccinated. But one of those is a necessity and one isn't. I would look askance at someone for the latter (in this current moment), but not for the former.

You're asking her to prove that cruise ships are more dangerous than grocery shopping, but that's not her argument.

I didn't vent about anything today, so no?

I stated the obvious fact that grocery shopping is necessary and going on a cruise isn't. I also stated both have risks and that taking a risk to get life-sustaining sustenance is not equivalent to taking a risk in order to go on vacation.
Ha, you make me laugh, really, I was just cleaning vacuuming and thinking about this and couldn't help but chuckle
I stated the obvious fact that grocery shopping is necessary and going on a cruise isn't.
Strawman argument...really Vicky you can do better than that...as of course I never said grocery shopping wasn't necessary and I never said going on a cruise was a necessity.

You are misreading her assertion. She is asserting that cruise ships are not a necessity, while grocery shopping is. And that comparing them in terms of risk therefore doesn't make sense. In other words, going to a hospital waiting room right now because you are having a heart attack is probably more risky than attending a concert where all attendees are masked and vaccinated. But one of those is a necessity and one isn't. I would look askance at someone for the latter (in this current moment), but not for the former.

You're asking her to prove that cruise ships are more dangerous than grocery shopping, but that's not her argument.
Exactly. Thank you.

I never said grocery shopping wasn't necessary and I never said going on a cruise was a necessity.
That's technically true - because you said "grocery shipping is not an unavoidable necessity" - but I assumed that was a typo. Perhaps I was wrong in that assumption?

And grocery shipping is not an unavoidable necessity, one can order their groceries online.
You're wrong on both points.

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
I never said grocery shopping wasn't necessary and I never said going on a cruise was a necessity.

That's technically true - because you said "grocery shipping is not an unavoidable necessity" - but I assumed that was a typo. Perhaps I was wrong in that assumption?
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
And grocery shipping is not an unavoidable necessity, one can order their groceries online.
You're wrong on both points.

It was a typo. Should read: And grocery shopping is not an unavoidable necessity, one can order their groceries online.

The never ending story of the Coronavirus.
Mark is right, this current cruise ship vs job comfort vs grocery shopping vs whatever...has gone on long enough. Besides we don't want the thread closed. Back to house cleaning for me. Peace

There's covid at my work, there's covid at my wife's work, and there's covid at our apartment building.
What happened to the place you lived where you had a lovely garden? Did you move?

Who else felt ripped off when the end credits came up for The Never Ending Story (1984)?
Here, this will blow your mind, how did they know Covid was coming? This song was released in 2001...Wait for the 10 second mark with the dancing kid in his covid mask.