Coronavirus

Tools    

I'm not saying masks do nothing, but is what they do really enough to justify robotic-like adherence to wearing them

If masks do something, even if that is just reduce the risk the infection of x people out of a hundred, how does this not justify what is ultimately a pretty mild inconvenience? Considering that virus spread is exponential, (meaning that one infection doesn't remain as just one, it is constantly doubling as it works through the population) even if we are just talking about 1 out of a 100, or 1 out of 1000, this can have a significant impact down the road.

When I see phrasing like 'robotic like adherence' in conversations like these, it seems to have an implication that we are just doing this out of some mindless reflex. But masks make a difference, however small it may seem at the moment. No matter how true it is that they aren't the solution to this problem. They make a difference. And during a pandemic, every case counts. This isn't a case of robotic like adherence.. It is the flat out logical response to an airborn virus that has killed god knows how many people at this point. And at no other time in history can I imagine such a thing as a mandate for mask wearing being considered controversial or greeted with skepticism. Exactly who wins if we over throw the mask mandaters? I honestly want to know.

If you were to ask me what robotic like adherence looks like, it would be more in line with those who have been eager to muddy the waters regarding mask wearing. Like, why is this even a thing? Where the **** did all of this come from? I can wrap my head around those who protest against curfews or lock downs or stores closing or holidays being cancelled. I can see why these, at least for some, may be viewed as sacrifices that are one step too far. I don't see these issues as pure black and white, regardless of what I ultimately think should be done. I can debate those in good faith. But ****ing mask wearing? The math should be simple on this. They help (even if they don't help as much as some people may think) and we lose virtually nothing by adhering to these regulations. End of story.

My only issue with masks is not with the masks themselves, but the fact that it gives some people a false sense of security. Just don't think you are safe because you have one on, it's not enough. I've been wearing one all day today because I think I probably have the virus, but I'm staying away from people and if anybody does come near, I'm holding my breath.

I suspected something like this, and I think anybody would feel badly for what you have had to deal with and wish you the best, but it doesn't change anything. Your high-risk mother had a Thanksgiving party because she wants to live her life. I wouldn't just count that as nothing because it was in November, Especially since it was her putting herself in that situation rather than your coworker who she will never meet. If I were you, I would tell my coworker to have a great time and wish them a healthy return. When he gets back, you should treat him like everybody else because doing otherwise would be a mistake. I'm not saying to let your guard down with him, I'm telling you not to do it with everybody else. Everybody knows the data about cruise ship infections. It doesn't matter because the virus is everywhere else as well. The grocery stores are infested with it and I imagine anywhere else where people gather. Protect yourself and your mother the best that you can because focusing on other people is a waste of time and stress.
I think @Captain Terror said he doesn’t want to talk about it any longer. Or words to that effect.

The trick is not minding
I’m not going to pretend I haven’t been going out and stopped wearing my mask, nor will I pretend that I haven’t gone to “gatherings” at my friends house, like NYE with about a dozen of us, and I have gone to a few weddings that include the same group largely as well as vacationed with them in the Outerbanks (we’re a tight nit group).

But I certainly won’t object to someone complaining about the risks i am taking here because hey, I get it. In my job alone we had large outbreaks in the last few months where one co worker died and the other lost his wife to COVID. I understand they’re, or Captain T’s and Takoma’s, concerns and won’t try to persuade them otherwise.

But for us, who do take it serious enough, just decided to hang out with our tight nit group and try not to worry so much about the virus for a day or so. We have to distress, and seeing our friends is one way.

All but 4 of us are vaccinated, 2 of whom are conservative and the other two (one of whom I have known since HS) for religious reasons. Also conservative.

We don’t judge them, we don’t even talk about it. It’s up to them. We’re reasonable adults who can agree to disagree without the endless debates and the need to pontificate on how useful a mask truly is or isn’t.

And we certainly aren’t going to moral shame them over it for the sake of moral superiority.

TLDR: Captain T is right to be annoyed, considering the risks involved, but isn’t going to go on a vendetta about it or anything. The guy takes 3 cruised a year, iirc, so postponing wouldn’t be a big deal.
But he also recognized there isn’t much he can do about it, and was just airing his grievances.

And we certainly aren’t going to moral shame them over it for the sake of moral superiority.
Is that what we’re doing? Riding the bus yesterday wearing a mask because it’s mandatory I asked the guy opposite to wear his mask properly as his was hanging off. I asked politely & he put his mask on properly. Definitely didn’t feel morally superior. Just nervous.

The trick is not minding
Is that what we’re doing? Riding the bus yesterday wearing a mask because it’s mandatory I asked the guy opposite to wear his mask properly as his was hanging off. I asked politely & he put his mask on properly. Definitely didn’t feel morally superior. Just nervous.

Onbviosuy, in your case, it wasn’t. Pretty sure I don’t need to explain the difference between politely asking someone to put a mask on and shaming someone to wear a mask.

But yes, I do see a lot of moral shaming over this, and I don’t mean just on these boards. I see it quite often on Facebook and the news.

... The guy takes 3 cruised a year, iirc, so postponing wouldn’t be a big deal...
You've seen a lot of movies right? So postponing going to the theater or postponing hanging out with your friends shouldn't be a big deal, you've done that enough in the past already. But I bet you don't want to be told what to do by me. (not really suggesting that just making a point)

Like Cricket just posted, a crowded grocery store full of non-vaccinated, non-mask wearing people who are standing in close proximity to each other...is much more of a covid threat than a cruise ship where everyone has to have proof of vaccinations and be tested for covid. People just focus on cruise ships because the media jumps on outbreaks on cruises like a dog in heat. Grocery stores are far worse for catching covid so are a myriad of other events people attend.

You were totally within your right. I hate to scare anyone but a bus is more crowded and confined than any cruise ship.

Like Cricket just posted, a crowded grocery store full of non-vaccinated, non-mask wearing people who are standing in close proximity to each other...is much more of a covid threat than a cruise ship where everyone has to have proof of vaccinations and be tested for covid.
Grocery shopping is an unavoidable necessity. Going on a cruise in the middle of a Covid surge is not.

Grocery shopping is an unavoidable necessity. Going on a cruise in the middle of a Covid surge is not.
Are you saying Austruck should have went grocery shopping instead of taking her recent cruise?

I don't wear a mask when I go to the grocery store, I wear this instead...

Now if everyone were wearing one of these I'd feel safe (and like I was living out some sort of pre-60's Roger Corman film)!

So cool!

The trick is not minding
You've seen a lot of movies right? So postponing going to the theater or postponing hanging out with your friends shouldn't be a big deal, you've done that enough in the past already. But I bet you don't want to be told what to do by me. (not really suggesting that just making a point)

Like Cricket just posted, a crowded grocery store full of non-vaccinated, non-mask wearing people who are standing in close proximity to each other...is much more of a covid threat than a cruise ship where everyone has to have proof of vaccinations and be tested for covid. People just focus on cruise ships because the media jumps on outbreaks on cruises like a dog in heat. Grocery stores are far worse for catching covid so are a myriad of other events people attend.

Oh, I’ve gone to the movies close to 20 times in the past year. Mostly alone. Maybe 2 or 3 times with my brother. Never in a group. I social distance there, as does most everyone else, and have a good 4 or 5 seats separating me from anyone. Sometimes, I’m the only one in there.

That said, It isn’t the same thing as a cruise.

Oh, I’ve gone to the movies close to 20 times in the past year. Mostly alone. Maybe 2 or 3 times with my brother. Never in a group. I social distance there, as does most everyone else, and have a good 4 or 5 seats separating me from anyone. Sometimes, I’m the only one in there.

That said, It isn’t the same thing as a cruise
You're right it's probably worse*. A theater is going to have non-vaccinated people not wearing mask in a closed environment** Cruise ships have all vaccinated and mask required in public areas. The media has distorted the threat of cruise ships and if someone hasn't actually been on one then they don't realize how easy it is to avoid people on them, more so than in the grocery store.

*a guesstimation based on the fact I've been on cruises
**an empty theater wouldn't be much of a threat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-live-updates/

The omicron coronavirus variant will infect “just about everybody” regardless of vaccination status, top U.S. infectious-disease expert Anthony S. Fauci said Tuesday.

But those who have been vaccinated will “very likely, with some exceptions, do reasonably well,” and avoid hospitalization and death, said Fauci, speaking at a virtual “fireside chat” with the Center for Strategic and International Studies. Fauci also said in a Senate hearing the same day that the unvaccinated are 20 times likelier to die, 17 times likelier to be hospitalized and 10 times likelier to be infected than the vaccinated.

Are you saying Austruck should have went grocery shopping instead of taking her recent cruise?
I'm saying both are risky but that doesn't make them equivalent and the comparison of the two is BS.

The trick is not minding
You're right it's probably worse*. A theater is going to have non-vaccinated people not wearing mask in a closed environment** Cruise ships have all vaccinated and mask required in public areas. The media has distorted the threat of cruise ships and if someone hasn't actually been on one then they don't realize how easy it is to avoid people on them, more so than in the grocery store.

*a guesstimation based on the fact I've been on cruises
**an empty theater wouldn't be much of a threat.
I guess it would depend on the theater itself, and what rules they have in place. In Hagerstown, my area, they have everyone social distance. But they don’t require masks, and don’t require proof of vaccination.

However, they have a maximum occupancy, in light of these conditions, where I’ve never seen more than 20-30 people or so. While cruise ships have far more.
Although, in the theater, it is a more enclosed space. So maybe it might be worse? Hmm.

Now if everyone were wearing one of these I'd feel safe (and like I was living out some sort of pre-60's Roger Corman film)!

So cool!
No one would be safe in a Roger Corman film

Seriously, I'm done freaking out about covid, sure it's a threat but Omicron isn't nearly as deadly as Delta and I've been vaccinated and boosted. 3 years ago, pre-pandemic I never worried about catching the flu and millions die from that. We need to keep things in perspective and not let the media scare us into phobias.

Omicron might be no more deadly than the flu

You ready? You look ready.
Time to start licking door knobs so I can get this Omicron off my bucket list.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I guess it would depend on the theater itself, and what rules they have in place. In Hagerstown, my area, they have everyone social distance. But they don’t require masks, and don’t require proof of vaccination.

However, they have a maximum occupancy, in light of these conditions, where I’ve never seen more than 20-30 people or so. While cruise ships have far more.
Although, in the theater, it is a more enclosed space. So maybe it might be worse? Hmm.
You don't need to be going anymore, you've been enough to the theater.

See how that sounds? That's what you said about the guy who's been on 3 cruises.

*of course I support your right to go the theater, I'm just making a comparative point.