The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Nobody got it, so hint breakdown...

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Angry and alone (The bride and Bill are angry, while Carl is alone)
For what you lost (they all lost something... daughter, girlfriend, wife)
Stealing home (Carl "steals" his own home)
I'll pay the cost

Thought you were out (reference to the Bride)
But I was wrong
You came back
To have a bout (coming back for a fight)

Not down with that (not down = Up, get it?)
I wanna live (Kill Bill, but he wants to "live")
With my best friend (best friend can be The Bride or the dog, the kid)
Please, forgive

Quite like both movies but I've not actually sat down to watch them for years now so wouldn't even be able to state categorically whether I prefer Kill Bill: Vol.2 or Vol.1 - still a little surprised to see either to appear this high though. Up was an ok watch, but again it's been years and I've never (as yet) been particularly fussed about revisiting it.

Seen: 43/68 (Own: 31/68)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
32. Munich (2005)
31. 500 Days Of Summer (2009)

Kill Bill vol. 2 was not just my #2 pick it is also my favorite Tarantino flick, probably.

The whole story of Beatrix Kiddo and her two-part revenge story is one of the most personal and emotional things Tarantino has ever written and brought to life on screen. He loves his tales of revenge and bloody violence, but the Kill Bill saga and especially the last volume really brings some maturity, depth and grounded-ness to the more homage-y gung-ho entertainment of the first volume...

I wrote a longer review once and I think I'll just link to that...

—— 2004 ——
KILL BILL
vol. 2
—— drama ——
REWATCH

Quentin Tarantino’s finishes his turbulent two-part tribute to the forgotten times
of blood-spattered samurai surrealism, with a much calmer and more controlled second half

After the foot-fetish-filled director confidently crossed buckets of blood off his bucket list during the first film, he now dives deeper into the plenteous pools of blood to find out why they are there to begin with. Volume one delivers the message of revenge in black and white, literally, for the audience to understand her vengeful voyage, while volume two paints the story in more piercing and vibrant colors. We actually get to understand and learn about the character of The Bride, instead of distantly observing her ferocious façade through a revenge-filled rampage, while slitting and splitting through every renegade responsible...

But in terms of the visual wonders though, it is actually the other way around. Just like a painting, it is the first volume, which acts as the flashy foreground that catches your eye, while the second volume is the deeper lines laying behind all the colorful artistry, which ultimately makes you linger more in the overall artwork. Volume two definitely “shows off” several places throughout, but it never feels too obvious or too much, in terms of presentation and cinematic homage. I also feel like the fun lies within the script during the second film, while volume one had all the fun on the surface. But thankfully, all the gushing veins wasn’t at all done in vain, because the second film picks up on this aspect. All the blood spilled in the first is now being examined in the second, and slowly washing away the blood begins to reveal what The Bride, or Beatrix Kiddo, is actually hiding underneath. Why was she so superior with a samurai sword, when did she meet Bill and who are the other four people making out the rest of her carefully selected death list?

As I pointed out earlier, the dialogue in this film is absolutely tremendous, and also the main reason why this is my favorite film from Tarantino’s phenomenal filmography. Yes, you read that right. Out of all his well-respected films, this is the one that hits the spot for me. Despite the many flaws of the first film, this one somehow plays out completely different and succeeds in almost every way. With a script that sparkles with high-spirited energy; a directorial approach learning towards the golden era of westerns; uniquely crafted multi-layered characters played by some amazing actors, and last but not least, amazing dialogue! Oh wait, I already said that a few times right? But hey, it's true… On top of that, everything is laid out within some very memorable scenes, which all leads up to a fantastic final act, which might be the best use of an anti-climatic ending that I have ever seen. The whole bloody affair of ‘Kill Bill’ is a picture-perfect "portrayal of betrayal", which as a whole is an amazing experience; but the second volume beats out the first by several miles in my opinion. On the other hand, if you want full-blown entertainment volume one will deliver that and more to you, while the second is just masterful filmmaking at its finest!

As for Up it wasn't on my list, but I did actually sort of consider it at one point. It's a great Pixar film and one I really like, but there's other Pixar flicks I love more.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I enjoy Kill Bill: Vol. 2 as much as Vol. 1, especially the Beatrix vs Elle fight and the elongated "comeuppance" scene, but I didn't vote for it.

Up is my #8.
Most people already know about and/or have seen Up, so I'm not going to spend too much time discussing the plot any more than I'd like to mention that it covers about 70 years and involves friendship, love, marriage, family, adventure, dreams, trust, flying, children, pets, doing the right thing, believing in yourself, growing up, inner strength, fearlessness, and teaching old dogs new tricks, amongst many other great subjects.

Another thing I love about Up (and this can be said about most Pixar flicks just with different details) is that they love movies just as much as we film buffs do because after all who are these filmmakers? They're just film buffs like you and me who are lucky enough to make their own dreams come true by creating films which pay homage to those that we all grew up with and love. Up seems to pay homage to The Lost World (1925), Hell's Angels, King Kong (1933), The Wizard of Oz, Buck Rogers, The Red Balloon, Sleeper, A Boy and His Dog, Star Wars (I was laughing my butt off at that one!), Raiders of the Lost Ark, Fitzcarraldo, The Witches, The Rocketeer, Jurassic Park, The Incredibles and several more.

Michael Giacchino, the composer of Up's beautiful score and haunting theme, is quickly becoming one of my fave current musical score composers. He now has done The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Star Trek and Up in the last five years. As far as a few other personal comments I have to make, irrelevant of whether others have shared them, Up has got to be one of the best titles of any movie ever made. Not only does it describe how the film transports itself from one setting to another, but it also describes how it transports most of its characters and hopefully all its viewers from beginning of the film to its conclusion. Up is a definite "feel-good" movie which should make people feel happy to be alive, so I hope you find it an "Up" because although I know there are millions of people out there who actually prefer "downer" movies because you see them as more realistic and a maturing of the cinematic ethos to rise above "fairy tales" and just tell it like it is... you know, you're going to die, get used to it; what matter does it make if you have a chance to be happy now and then? Movies need to tell the truth, and the truth is a downer! Sorry, but I don't think that a movie which has a happy ending (LIES?) is good and one that has an "unhappy" ending is bad. I just think that you should allow movies to work their magic on you no matter what they seem to represent, and perhaps more importantly, no matter how you feel about what constitutes a "real" movie and a "fake" movie. Up is just about as real as movies get, and there's no allegedly "real" person ever seen on the screen. HA!

My List

1. The Incredibles
8. Up
10. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
11. Everything Will Be OK
21. Pride & Prejudice

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Up was my number 16. I legitimately thought it would place in the top 10. Probably the biggest shocker here so far placement wise.

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. Kill Bill Vol 2 was my #15. Probably giving something away by saying I prefer it to the first part, but I think there's more to be said for the pay-off than the set-up here. Up is something I might've actually forgotten to vote for if my ratings are any indication, but I think if I ever attempted a Pixar ranking (which I probably won't since a good cross-section of their recent output seems so inessential) then it would probably be towards the top.

Seen: 48/68
Ballot: 7/25

Kill Bill Vol. 2 is top ten 2000's for me, but not on my ballot, it's complicated, same complications with LOTR.
Recommended for KB fans; Shaw Bros. Executioners from Shaolin

I actually thought of Up with the hint but I thought Up was a lock for top ten. I probably would have guessed top 5. I didn’t vote for it because I am among those that think the middle third is too much of the standard kids fare. That’s despite Yoda doing an amazing job trying to convince us otherwise. Those bookends though, tremendous.

I love Kill Bill but have still only watched it once. Almost more than any other series I consider it a whole film. I voted for part two at 16 because it is the more dialogue driven section and that’s what appeals to me.

Up wasn't in contention for my animation ballot even and the Kill Bill series is my least favorite of anything Tarantino has done. To be fair, they all should get more than one chance from me since many times a second viewing has unleashed a new favorite.

Up did make the bottom part of my list but I easily could have put it towards the beginning. Also figured it would be closer to the top 10 so I didn't vote for it too high. Kill Bill is fun but didn't have a chance for my list.

OK, I was way off.

Neither movie amazed me, but they were still fun. I like Kill Bill II more than I because it was more story-based but still made room for a lot of action. Up's story felt slower and less charming than the early Pixar movies, but it was still very touching.

I love Kill Bill but have still only watched it once. Almost more than any other series I consider it a whole film.
I also consider KB, LOTR, etc. as one film. Hence why these types won’t make any of my lists. Like them or not, just the way I view them.

Tarantino's Kill Bill: Vol. 2 did not make the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List, though Vol. 1 placed at #46. PIXAR's Up was #13 on that list as well as #2 on MoFo Top 100 Animated Films. Don't know if tastes here have changed THAT much, but WALL·E was #21 on that previous list and has not shown yet this time.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Up was my #3. I think it's the best Pixar film, and I would consider calling it the best animated film, period.

I will, of course, use this occasion to link my essay on the film, which I wrote and tweaked and added onto for literally years and years, complete with screenshots, videos, and audio clips to catalogue and illuminate as many of the film references, callbacks, and subtle theming as possible.

Obviously everyone knows about that silent, moving sequence early in the film, and after my first viewing I thought all the same things everyone else does about the waning middle and the so-so ending and all that. But I was wrong. There is so, so much embedded here, so many motifs tucked away, recurring over and over in ways that seem obvious in retrospect. Things I didn't notice until my nth viewing. I literally heard something about it this week I hadn't noticed before.

I'd say "trust me" but you don't have to. You can see for yourself.

"Ellie lags behind as Carl runs up the hill, and we get a flipped version of the shot we saw at 7:48. Not only have Ellie and Carl changed places, but whereas the shot from their youth took place in the light of day and in the summer, the one in their old age takes place at dusk and in the fall. And this time the skyline is jagged with progress. The steeple (and wouldn't you bet anything it's the steeple of the church they were married in?) is the only thing in the same place."

"The shot is bathed in magenta, and the stained glass window is circular, has a circle at its center, and has four more circles surrounding that one. Carl holds a single balloon; it's all that's left of his taste for adventure, and not nearly enough to take him anywhere. After breaking his right arm and his right leg, he's now broken something on his left."

Well this is disappointing. Up is an incredibly moving film and was a huge surprise to me when it came out. I wasn't at all taken in by its marketing, but I trusted Pixar to put out a quality movie so I went and saw it and was blown away. People often talk about its amazing opening montage, but sometimes dismiss the rest of the film. There's no denying that those first few minutes are magical but I find the rest of the movie just as moving and really love the bond between Carl and Russell. What maybe surprised me most about it though was how much I loved the adorable but not-so-bright Dug. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool cat person but damn do I love that dim-witted pup.

Up was one of nine animated movies (and three Pixars) to grace my ballot and I placed it the highest of the bunch at #3. I'd really hoped it would at least crack the top 20.

I have seen nine Tarantino movies (ten if you count True Romance) and have liked or loved all but three of them. Two of those three are the Kill Bill movies.

Seen: 41/68

My Ballot:
1. Quills (#67)
2. Gladiator (#40)
3. Up (#33)
6. Hedwig and the Angry Inch (#91)
21. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (#63)
25. Surf's Up (One-Pointer)