The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Moon is basically Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell) and a robot named GERTY (voice of Kevin Spacey) alone on a desolate Earth's moon where they work together to harvest helium-3 and send it back to Earth as a power source which solves our energy problem. However, shortly before Sam's three-year stint is up, an accident occurs which changes Sam's perspective on what is real. Moon is a mini-masterpiece of old school effects and a chance for those who love Rockwell to get their money's worth of his acting ability. It is a well-conceived and intelligent film, but it's also sometimes very low-key and at 97 minutes, it may well run too long considering what's actually on screen. Even so, it's a worthy addition to the canon of significant science fiction films.

Sin City is full of sadistic characters, striking images and sick violence. Of course, I mostly loved it. Maybe It could have used more redemption from sin, but not enough for it to really bother me. Some crazy performances too.

Didn't vote for either.

Loved both of the latest entres,, and both ended up on the cutting room floor. Saw "Dancer in the Dark" once and disliked it, mostly because of my hatred for Bjork. Thief's's little trivia on the film, is just an example of what a pain in the ass she is.

Seen: 37/54

Watch-list:

Sin City has grown into quite a unique film-noir experience to me, had it at #18.
Heat, Thief gotta love Michael Mann, Collateral is my #4.
Tom Cruzito is nowhere near my best actor of all time list but what he lacks in certain areas he makes up for with his work ethic, intensity, willpower and drive, I can appreciate that in an actor. Same goes for Jackie Chan and pre-Oscar Leo to name a few.

Ballot: 5/25

Moon was on my ballot at #20. It's a mini-masterpiece that's able to work wonders out of such a simple premise and is also a great film to go into completely blind. It's well-acted, claustrophobic, suspenseful, and its plot has several memorable twists which keep you engaged all throughout the film. I also enjoyed how it
WARNING: spoilers below
subverted the evil robot cliché by having GERTY help Rockwell, rather than harm him.

I haven't seen Sin City yet.

1. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (#78)
7. A Serious Man (#66)
20. Moon (#48)
23. Sunshine (#88)
25. The New World (#99)

Loved both of the latest entres,, and both ended up on the cutting room floor. Saw "Dancer in the Dark" once and disliked it, mostly because of my hatred for Bjork. Thief's's little trivia on the film, is just an example of what a pain in the ass she is.
What's that got to do with how good a film is? Christ some of the Divas and a@@holes involved in the film industry throughout the years would leave barely any films left for a list if we had that as a criteria.

I remember enjoying both Moon and Sin City quite a bit, but voted for neither. I'm a little hesitant to revisit the latter, as I've been increasingly put off by anything that has a digital look (i.e. despite being shot on film, I didn't gel very well to The Aviator when I watched it last year because of the heavy-handed post production and colour scheme).

Watched Moon a couple times and I think it’s a pretty great character study. Not enough to make my list, but it’s a solid 4 star flick.

Haven’t watched Sin City since its release. I liked it, but apparently not enough to return to it or see the sequel. Perhaps if the Alba dance sequence was longer.

Watched The Death Of Mr Lezerascu last night. Excellent social drama. Absolutely maddening in exactly the right way. 3.5 from me, which wouldn’t have been enough to make my list but I’m glad I finally heard of it and watched it.

Watched The Death Of Mr Lezerascu last night. Excellent social drama. Absolutely maddening in exactly the right way. 3.5 from me, which wouldn’t have been enough to make my list but I’m glad I finally heard of it and watched it.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Really pleased to see Moon make the list! It is one from my ballot I thought was doomed to not make it.

I think it's a beautifully crafted, well-acted piece of sci-fi. Rockwell is excellent in the lead role.

I also really love the way it upends a sci-fi trope by having
WARNING: spoilers below
the base's AI system actually prioritize the wellbeing of the main character instead of being the classic "evil computer"

I saw it twice in the theater and loved it both times.

Sin City is kind of a meh for me. I remember how innovative and different it felt at the time, but it has seemed increasingly superficial and less fun every time I have revisited it. When I saw it in the theater I remember having mixed feelings about the way it fetishized its female characters (and their sex work). It's another film that I don't love, but I get why it's on the list.

Saw "Dancer in the Dark" once and disliked it, mostly because of my hatred for Bjork. Thief's's little trivia on the film, is just an example of what a pain in the ass she is.
I know of her but not really anything about her. I turned this on and started watching and I dunno the look of it like it was shot like the Miami Vice movie (digital?) and I kept getting a feeling like I was watching an episode of the office with the quick close ups. Something about her voice was making me sleepy and I eventually fell asleep during the beginning. Again, I've haven't watched any Lars Von Trier so I don't know anything about his style. So I bailed.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I saw Moon during its initial release and really liked it, but I've only seen it once since then and it's fallen off quite a bit in my estimation. Sin City had the right mix of style and grit to make it an easy favourite when I was a teenager (another refugee from my first stab at a top 100) but I really don't have any use for it anymore.

I liked Moon, although I somehow didn't rate it for this list. Doubt it'd make the cut for the top 25.

I thought the look of Sin City was killer. But despite some good performances (Elijah Wood, maybe Rourke?), the film didn't do much for me.

Both of these made my list, with Moon at #24. It very effectively conveys the immense isolation of the character's situation and then the story line goes a bit into Philip K. Dickian territory, which I'm always a sucker for. Sin City is over the top gritty cartoonish noir and I love every moment of it. It's my first top ten film at #8.

My List:
8. Sin City (#47)
13. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (#53)
18. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#86)
22. The Man Who Wasn’t There (#84)
24. Moon (#48)

What's that got to do with how good a film is? Christ some of the Divas and a@@holes involved in the film industry throughout the years would leave barely any films left for a list if we had that as a criteria.
I'll also go to bat for Bjork and say that her behavior---in response to the behavior from a director who is known to be incredibly difficult himself, and I do believe her allegations his harassment on set--wasn't harmful or abusive to anyone.

While I have mixed feelings about Dancer in the Dark, Bjork's performance in it is outstanding.

I've seen Moon a couple of times. While it's not a favourite of mine, it is a film that I appreciate, and it managed to make the lower part of my list at #20. Rockwell does an amazing job carrying practically the entire film on his back, and this is exactly the kind of lower-key science fiction I love to watch.

I never had any interest in Sin City when it was first released, but I tried to watch it one day when it was on the movie network. I only got about 15-20 minutes in when I turned it off. I've never had the desire to revisit it.

Seen: 28/54

My List:
06. Millennium Actress (2001) - DNP
08. Mother (2009) - #96
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
11. Paprika (2006) - #64
16. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #76
20. Moon (2009) - #48
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

I'll also go to bat for Bjork and say that her behavior---in response to the behavior from a director who is known to be incredibly difficult himself, and I do believe her allegations his harassment on set--wasn't harmful or abusive to anyone.

While I have mixed feelings about Dancer in the Dark, Bjork's performance in it is outstanding.
I think she acted before making music, but she's more well known for her (brilliant) music - with that in mind, there aren't many better performances by a well known musician/singer in film. Awkwafina was good in The Farewell, Is she a musician? Maybe Tom Waits in something.

I think she acted before making music, but she's more well known for her (brilliant) music - with that in mind, there aren't many better performances by a well known musician/singer in film. Awkwafina was good in The Farewell, Is she a musician? Maybe Tom Waits in something.
I love Bjork. I think that she is a genuinely unique artist, and I'd rate "Emotional Landscapes" as one of my favorite songs. I think that her mere presence adds weight and interest to a film, and I really enjoyed her in The Juniper Tree.

She was originally brought on to just score Dancer in the Dark before being convinced to act in the lead role.