A Decade Under The Influence

Tools    

Saved for later watching; by the way, have you ever checked out that other New Hollywood doc, Easy Riders, Raging Bulls? Because it's totally worth watching:

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Saved for later watching; by the way, have you ever checked out that other New Hollywood doc, Easy Riders, Raging Bulls? Because it's totally worth watching:

I did see this, and it seems like there was overlap, but I haven't seen this since it came out.

Very good documentary. Haven't seen it in a year or so, but just stumbled across this on YouTube and thought some of you would really like this. Enjoy.

I’m confused. Is part of the poster (or whatever it is) supposed to mimic 1966’s Blow Up?

Very good documentary. Haven't seen it in a year or so, but just stumbled across this on YouTube and thought some of you would really like this. Enjoy.
Watched this last night, and couldn't remember if I'd seen it when it came out. There have been enough docs on most of these filmmakers that it's hard to recall what one has seen about them.

It was a doc that was well enough done. At its beginning I thought it was looking like a pean to the birth of contemporary SJW, but it more or less sobered up and got more into the various directors' professional philosophies. A few of the interviews seemed exaggerated and self-serving, but some of that is to be expected to bolster the spirit of the film.

I lived and worked during that whole mess in the '60s, and at the time it was a ball. There was a palpable relishing of freedom and counter culture which was a reaction to the more staid and conforming 1950s. But I never really considered that my contemporaries raising hell around me were SERIOUS. But after some of them came down from their LSD trips, they cleaned up and gradually infiltrated into positions of influence. The problem is that they still acted as though the drug fueled philosophies that they gave credence to in the Hippie era were a pattern for real life. They tried to re-make modern culture into the '60s Hippie love-in.

What tickles me is that --like Castro in his anachronistic uniform giving lip service to "revolution" for 50 years after he and his ilk subjugated Cuba-- filmmakers and other people are acting like the '60s rebellion is still applicable, so they keep chasing relevance. The irony is that they've now participated in the construction and implementation of an all new dogma which is much more stifling than anything practiced in the 1950s!

Yet that train has left the station. The documentary is enjoyable. But just take it for what it represented: a slice of the film industry from the past.

Misspelled name....its just a fancy word for Film!
That's a great doc. Its a good overview of the rise and domination of The New Hollywood period of American cinema. While Europe and Asia had much of their film renaissance in the 50's and 60s, America's film explosion came at the tale end of the 60's and dominated roughly into the early 80s.

The researcher for this movie found me through my YouTube channel. She said she's making an authorized documentary about George Carlin, and asked if I had Carlin's first appearance on TV, which is when Mort Sahl was hosting "The Tonight Show". My channel has a ton of Mort Sahl, Carlin, etc., and sent me an e-mail. She said she couldn't find this on NBC archives (and she's an archivist who has made docs on The Beatles, Stones, "The Boy Stays In The Picture") but didn't know NBC erased tapes in the 60s (cheap) until about 74? My gosh.. I guess I'm an amateur archivist, because I've spent thousands on them, because I love to get to the root, and come up with my own conclusions, as well as putting it up on YouTube so the entire world can enjoy what I do.....

Anyway, I found it in 45 minutes and uploaded it onto my channel (cutting out what she wanted). She then asked one in better resolution (dummy).

I asked if she could give me some work - grunt work, anything. She didn't reply back. What a *********!

******** = someone who gets a job without knowing jack-$hit.... Moments like this when I wish COVID would take out the entire world.

Moments like this when I wish COVID would take out the entire world.
Yikes, I’m sure you don’t mean this.

No harm in expressing sincere frustration.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
He doesn't mean it because he has different methods in his mind. Matt the Impaler! Impales people on his drumsticks, killing every button-pusher in the world! Run away, @Swan!

Seriously, though, it's cool you contributed to the making of a documentary, @matt72582. Am I to understand you asked her to help you find a job and she didn't reply? For your own sanity, I'd recommend taking it easy. Maybe she missed your message. Do not assume malice when something can be explained in another way.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

He doesn't mean it because he has different methods in his mind. Matt the Impaler! Impales people on his drumsticks, killing every button-pusher in the world! Run away, @Swan!

Seriously, though, it's cool you contributed to the making of a documentary, @matt72582. Am I to understand you asked her to help you find a job and she didn't reply? For your own sanity, I'd recommend taking it easy. Maybe she missed your message. Do not assume malice when something can be explained in another way.

I'm not sure if she'll use it, but Jessica Berman Bogdan got my message. She'd have to pay $10,000 to license a minute of that, but found it for her, and only asked if she could help me out -- give me grunt work - the work she has no time for, the work that's too monotonous, or just some tips/help, something.. Na. She got what she wanted, and that was that.

In October, Raymond Schillinger replied to me on a message board similar to this about making a documentary on Mort Sahl. He sent private messages telling me he was in the business, and that he could help me, so I looked him up.. I wrote him back, he didn't reply for quite a while, so I sent him a PM through the board, saying something like, "I've had problems with e-mail (just as an excuse), wondering if you got my message"... Immediately after, he suddenly sends me a message apologizing. 2 days later, Mort Sahl died. He said, "I'm still willing to help", so I spent the next 2 days (no sleep) with a completely different idea (since I couldn't interview Mort, which was the basic theme in the doc)... He'd come out with a newspaper and satirize. I've been collecting every old newspaper for years, so I was going to flip it.. I'd read (and refresh) Mort's mind with something from the 1950s, and then quote him in the 70s to find out the difference, or to mention the current "thing", tons of questions.. Anyway, he doesn't reply, either, but this time, I didn't bother to ask if he got my e-mail. He got it. These people are cowards. They're not even people! I hate e-mail... I miss the day you could get in someone's face. I'm not a violent person, but let's say I've never lost a fight with fists, and my heart is beating so fast and angrily, I think its best to stay home indefinitely, because if someone pisses me off, I'm throwing fists. It's not like I have anything to lose.

"Person didn't respond to my message with enough haste" is a lame supervillain origin story.

For any who haven't seen it, there's a nice three-part documentary called A Decade Under the Influence: The '70s Films That Changed Everything (2003) that is a nice love letter to the era, featuring interviews with many of the filmmakers and actors who defined the decade's cinema.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra