The Royal Tenenbaums

→ in
Tools    

*rather than tack reviews and feelings about the movie onto the existing thread in the "Upcoming Movies" forum, I just decided to give it a whole new post...

Saw The Royal Tenenbaums today. Loved it. Laughed and smiled the whole way through. It rates a sparkling grade of "A" from me.

Those who loved Wes Anderson's first two films, Rushmore and Bottle Rocket, will likewise adore this one. It isn't as perfect as Rushmore (not much is for me), but boy is it fun! Gene Hackman may get the Oscar nomination Bill Murray was robbed of for Rushmore. The entire cast is wonderful and each character has many moments, but Hackman is the movie in many ways.

The same contradictory very dark yet, at the same time, sincerely sweet tone on display in Rushmore defines The Royal Tenenbaums as well. The music, the camera moves, the level of detail in the set design, the nuanced and deadpan humor, and how the talented and varied cast inhabits these characters makes this a very amusing movie, and distincly the work of Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson.

I can't wait to see this one again! Amelie and The Royal Tenenbaums have been the most uplifiting cinematic experiences I've had this year. I've seen Amelie four times now and expect I'll catch Tenenbaums at least that many in coming weeks. It's only open in Manhattan and Los Angeles just now, but watch your local listings for your opportunity.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Holden where did you see it? Did you drive up to NY?

Now With Moveable Parts
Holden...how was Paltrow?

Yes, I drove up to Manhattan on Friday, specifically to see The Royal Tenenbaums. I am just THAT nutty for Wes Anderson's work, yeah.

I'm not usually much of a Gwyneth Paltrow supporter, but I thought she was fantastic in this movie. I also found her very sexy in this role, strangely enough. She doesn't usually do much for me in that department, but from the first scene in the bathtub onward, I really wanted this screwed up, depressed, one-time genius.

"May I have a cigarette?"

Female assassin extraordinaire.
yeah, me not much of a Paltrow fan but she seems to fit this role with her patrician rich skinny irky girl background.

i haven't seen amelie yet. i must see it on the big screen, and soon! and this one! can't wait. i loved Rushmore. i don't own it but i suppose i should.

never knew there was another out there ... gotta watch it then. Bottle Rocket ... what year was that?

Bottle Rocket was made in 1996. It stars Luke and Owen Wilson, and like the other two movies was co-written by Owen & director Wes Anderson.

It's a different kind of pace and not as elaborately produced as Ruhmore or The Royal Tenenbaums, but their sense of humor and romance is exactly the same. The guy Owen plays, simply named Dignan, is one of the best movie characters in recent cinema. Very funny deadpan stuff.

Also, for all of you Wes Anderson fans, as you'd expect, all of those familiar supporting faces from the first two movies are back as well. Kumar Pallana, who played the groundskeeper Mr. Littlejeans in Rushmore and the safe cracker in Bottle Rocket, has the largest role in Tenenbaums. And Deepak Pallana, who worked at the bookstore in Bottle Rocket and was the Math teacher in the opening fantasy sequence of Rushmore, is back too. They've got quite an interesting little stock company developing.

Saw The Royal Tenenbaums for a second time today - though this time I only had to go about an hour south to D.C. instead of four hours or so north to Manhattan. Charmed me all over again. Wes Anderson's movies just make me FEEL good.

Anybody here seen it yet?

Now With Moveable Parts
Hasn't even come to my stupid town yet.

Me neither...still waiting for January 4th. The main theater near me plays nothing in limited release, and very little that's not highly mainstream...the latter is both good and bad, really. Nice to know everything big will be there, but it's frustrating when I simply cannot see a less-than-popular movie there. I think I will see it when it's released here, though.

Now With Moveable Parts
I'll get to see it at our little poshy-posh theater that shows only independant films. It's very nice...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Steve's seeing it at some point this weekend, I think, and my bro's going to go see it this weekend too, so I'll wait and see what they have to say.

Guy
when does this open wide?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I've heard good things about this, mostly from you people. I might check this out if it comes close enough to where I don't have to drive too far to see it.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

This is the best movie out right now. So sad and funny and compelling and hilarious. Absolutely, positively BEAUTIFUL filmmaking. This is a great, great movie. I'm going to see it over and over and over and over...

If The Royal Tennenbaums isn't nominated for best picture, the academy will have lost all the nonexistent respect I've never given them. It's the most deserving movie this year. Give it the oscars, please.

"Can I have a cigarette?"

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Me neither...still waiting for January 4th. The main theater near me plays nothing in limited release, and very little that's not highly mainstream...the latter is both good and bad, really. Nice to know everything big will be there, but it's frustrating when I simply cannot see a less-than-popular movie there. I think I will see it when it's released here, though.
It starts Friday at the Cinemark that I go to. I won't be in town, though, so I probably won't get to see it until the 4th anyway.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
now i know what you mean about the cigarette ...

much darker than Rushmore but OH god ... pervertedly twistedly sad and funny. oho. ohoh.

loved it!!!

Guy
Originally posted by Steve
This is the best movie out right now. So sad and funny and compelling and hilarious. Absolutely, positively BEAUTIFUL filmmaking. This is a great, great movie. I'm going to see it over and over and over and over...

If The Royal Tennenbaums isn't nominated for best picture, the academy will have lost all the nonexistent respect I've never given them. It's the most deserving movie this year. Give it the oscars, please.

"Can I have a cigarette?"
won't be sucessfull enough for big noms

Hackman's got a very good chance at a nomination for Best Supporting Actor, the acknowledgement Bill Murray should have gotten with Rushmore. It also has a real shot at screenplay. But other than that, it'll still take a while before the Academy at large catches up with Wes and Owen's movies. They didn't get Joel & Ethan Coen until Fargo, their sixth film.