In which Nightmare on Elm Street film was Freddy Krueger the darkest?

Tools    

I found three to be the darkest. The way he tortures the kids with sadistic glee felt the most genuine in this installment. I find the original is hampered by some production problems that three steers clear from. I think the debate is between one and three all of the other installments are pretty goofy in places.

[quote=Sexy Celebrity;1547319]Definitely not that one! Oh please..../quote]

Yes I watched it again last night and it gets better every time, they really payed homage to freddy in that one... right before they completely shat all over him, it's Freddy turned up to 10 and demonic as hell

And to the rest who call the sequels cartoony I think you must be well into your 50's or was 18 when you first watched them because you're talking shite, to a child they are all ****ing brutal and don't forget this from the first film

to those who think it was all so serious and the others went too far in the absurd, he was still always a burnt child murderer who killed children in their dreams

The demon in New Nightmare is probably the darkest portrayal of Freddie if that counts. The original and its remake are definitely the only other ones that play him straight. He kind of devolved into a quip heavy, mustache twirler in the rest.

Police Academy is another example. The first was an adult comedy, the comedy was subtle, and also not-so-subtle, and also had serious tones from time to time mixed with a stereotypical character selection, some occasional slapstick, and was filled with sex jokes and racist language.

The sequels, well, let's just say, they added "boingy" sounds effects to the slapstick. Slapstick being the only comedy that was in them.
Wll, I agree and I don't. Captain Mauser in the shower was pretty solid stuff.."and all the rookies will get down on their knees..and they'll say 'captain mausahh...yowza YOWzahh...ohhh yeah...ooohhh yeahh oohhh..ohh..."

The most loathsome of all goblins
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master.
Definitely the most underrated Nightmare film. If I remember correctly, it was Wes Craven's favorite of the sequels.

Some of the best deaths for sure

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Iderno.
Nightmare on Elm Street scared the $hit out of me, watching the VHS at a friend's sleep over. I think that was in the 4th grade. I immediately fell in love with it and watched every Elm Street thereafter as soon as I could and begged mom to take me to theatrical sequels.

He was a hero. An antihero. But the experience after the first movie changed from being frightened to chearing him on not out of fear, but to hear the next comedic pun he would mouth out while slashing up some kid in whatever the new gimmick he could come up with. Who ever could remember those lines best was the cool kid the next day in school.

I loved those movies!! I dressed up as Krueger for my 7th grade school costume day and freaked the hell out when I saw the toy glove come out a few years later. But let's be honest here. The movies devolved from horror to horror camp.

With that said, I admit the marionette kill in 3 did freak me out at the time.

I agree with some of you here that part 2 was the darkest freddy, both in terms of how he acts and how he is lit and photographed. Part 2 is dingy. Jack Sholder was a great talent behind the lens and I'm sorry he hasn't been more active. His film The Hidden was great, too - even his early Alone in the Dark was unique in its strangness. But yeah, part 2 has my vote for darkest. Part 1 - I felt the music was the star of that film. But I'm off topic again. Sorry, SC. Part 4 didn't do diddly for me. I re watched the Dream Warriors and thought, aside from some dark cinematography and a few neat effect shots (sleepwalking puppetry), that it was garbage. Part 4 and up - same thing. Trashola.

I don't actually wear pants.
The original because in all the others he is a cartoon, in the first he haunts peoples dreams and takes enjoyment in living out their worst nightmares with them. Terrific film.
That sums it up perfectly.

Granted, I enjoyed the first three sequels, but they aren't nearly as good as the original. Freddy vs Jason is enjoyable, too, but it's all comical.

Rock music and action movie obsessed guy,
I actually like all the freddy films except new nightmare, it's a pretty awesome series, my fav one is 4, I think he was brutal in that one.

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
I found the very first one to be the darkest.

The Freddy vs. Jason version of his character was the darkest since the first one though.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I actually prefer the over the top and humorous Krueger cause he doesn't work as well as a darker villain in my opinion.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Let's see, I've seen all the movies at least three times (the better ones more than the others obviously)

He had the perfect balance of comedy and menace in the original film, like a maniac toying with his victims if you will. In Freddy's Revenge, he was definitely darker, more menacing, the film is mediocre at best though. In Dream Warriors he was fantastic, just like the first film, perfect balance (Welcome to Prime Time, B*TCH!). Dream Master did turn up the comedy a couple of notches, but he was still very well handled in my opinion. Dream Child took a plummet into a comedy dominant route, while Freddy's Dead just felt like Freddy parodying himself. New Nightmare definitely gave us a very interesting, new, and dark Freddy that I quite enjoy. The Freddy in Freddy vs Jason had a weak prescence in my opinion. And obviously the Freddy in the remake is the darkest, (though I like to consider that Freddy in separate terms as it was a new vision)

I only saw 1st one, 3rd one, and New Nightmare. I think I like New Nightmare, the best.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
To my knowledge he was never played by an Afroamerican actor.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I don't actually wear pants.
I think his campiness made him lighter than he should have been in all but the first. The first is great because he's just a ruthless killing bastard. In the others, he's a comedian, and lessens the impact. Yes, he's a dark comedian, but a comedian all the same.

The truth is in here
People tend to forget that Freddy was a comedian in the first one as well. His jokes were just more subtle, and appeared less frequently.

I've seen the first 4 Elm Streets and liked all of them. The Dream Warriors being my favorite. I would also argue Freddy's Revenge is when he's at his absolute most menacing, especially with how they shadow him in scenes.
The Dream Master is the least scary Freddy, but he for sure is a ruthless killing bastard in that one as well. He kills off every surviving character from the previous movie, which alone is pretty ****ing brutal. It even made me depressed. Not to mention the way he kills people was still extremely sadistic, and creepy in the way that he just doesn't flat-out give a **** how his victims feel. It's all just a game to him.

One thing about Freddy Krueger is that

SPOILER

in the first movie states that he was a child murderer, that came back from the dead. But he never goes after children at all. He always goes after teens and young people it seems, with the exception of the child in New Nightmare, from the ones I have seen.