Tabletop Gaming with Sedai & Greenbrier Games

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked

Hi Everyone!

Although Movieforums.com has a clear focus on film, over the years other interests have emerged in our user base, and threads like The Videogames Tab have popped up here and there. As a huge fan of tabletop gaming - one that works at a board game company - I thought the time was long overdue to fire up a thread dedicated to cards, dice and all the rest!

Yoda has been kind enough to allow me a bit of shameless self-promotion for the up-and-coming company I work for. As a moderator for the site, I abhor spam, and rather than creating a thread purely for advertising purposes, I was hoping to jump start the thread with a bit of info about Greenbrier Games, our Kickstarter crowd-funding campaigns, and some info about our games, with the thread continuing on with general discussion about all things cardboard and plastic. Although the Greenbrier crew has a dedicated focus on our games, we share a broad interest in games of all genres and types, and we hope some other MoFos do too! Anything from classic titles like Settlers of Catan or Magic:The Gathering, Netrunner to Agricola, or one of our own titles like Zpocalypse or Ninja Dice, let's talk about games!

Our current labor of love, a Steampunk themed Mech combat game, HEAVY STEAM:

HEAVY STEAM KICKSTARTER

As you can see, we are still in the crowd funding process with Heavy Steam. Any support of any kind, from a financial pledge to just mentioning our games and company to your friends that play games, is greatly appreciated! The Kickstarter page goes in-depth into the game mechanics, artwork, rules, and more - check it out!

Next up, our flagship title and our first release, which is already in stores with several great expansions, I present ZPOCALYPSE:

Scavenge food, weapons, and supplies, then get ready to fend off wave after wave of hungry zombies! Players build barricades, hording whatever that can in an effort to survive progressively harder days and nights of terrifying zombie attacks. The base game is Co-op, players vs zombies, with expansions adding features and the ability to add a Z-Maser, who tactically controls the zombies for more challenge and game play options.

Next up, a fast paced, press-your-luck dice game, NINJA DICE:

Like Ninjas? We do too! We have gotten incredible response to this game so far, with people of all ages flocking to play them demos at game conventions; they love the look, the theme, he little zipper ninja cube the game comes in, and of course, the tense, fast-paced push-your-luck play. Kids LOVE this game, and so do we! This game is funded and in production, with copies shipping to stores soon!

We also publish a couple of games under the Greenbrier name that were designed and developed by smaller game companies we have taken under our wing in an effort to promote community, creativity and of course, fun! These games are:

HULL BREACH : A space combat game created using the LCG (Living Card Game) model by our great friends at Not-So-Broken Games. No rares or uncommons to chase here! The LCG model embraces fun over vulture marketing, giving each player a full play set of every card with each expansion release. No buying singles, no getting stomped by pay-to-win decks stuffed full of $50 rare cards. Just have some friends over, fire up some snacks, and play he game to its full extent right away!

FAIRY TAIL MINIATURES by Artistic Justice Games - Like minis? Like highly detailed, exceptionally crafted minis? We have them! Our miniature artist is none other than a former Irrational Games artist Jed Wahl. A world-class talent, Jed was responsible for some of the models and artwork in the 2006 seminal video game classic, Bioshock. Jed now does all our minis, as well as all the minis for Artistic Justice, whose games we publish.

Yes, we are over the moon about it. Just look at some of these miniatures!

At Greenbrier Games, we are hard at work creating games for most age and skill levels, with a variety of styles and themes. Everything from quick pub-style dice games to rich, deep survival horror adventures, to exquisitely detailed miniatures and deck builder card games are being tweaked and refined daily. Our studio of talented artists and designers, featuring talent from The USA, Britain, Ireland, and many other locations all over the world, works tirelessly, seven days a week, around the clock as we all work towards achieving our dream of a successful game company.

Thanks for taking a few minutes to read this stuff folks! Of course, we appreciate any support anyone throws our way, either with Kickstarter, retail purchases, or just good, old-fashioned word-of-mouth to your gamer friends who might be interested in our games.

Here is a link to our website: Greenbrier Games Website

If you end up playing one of our games, pop a quick review or recommendation up, or just tell us your thoughts in the thread! We love hearing about all games, and gaming experiences!

Let's talk about games!

I've never tried a game like this. I used to play a lot of the Parker Brothers board games growing up. I've certainly heard of the Magic The Gathering game though. I'm just too cheap to buy one.

One of my absolute favorites back in the day was The American Dream game. I found one online on Amazon and may pick it up one day. Cool game.

That Heavy Steam game looks fantastic! Great work Mike!

Also - just a quick update - we WILL have some lower/more affordable pledge levels appearing either today or tomorrow. Gamers have asked for more options, and we are here to serve! I think we will drop in a pledge for just he minis at around 30 bucks. Stay tuned!

Thanks for the comments guys!

I used to be into stuff like 40k etc. if this is a similar sort of table game... ?? Not played for years and years though.

Looks interesting, and those miniatures look awesome.

This more of a Euro-game design model. I will have the next version of the rule book up on KS by tonight or tomorrow at the latest. We had a version ready, but at the last minute, it got sent to redesign. I am working on that right now, actually! Familiar with Eurogames at all (as opposed to Ameritrash). Eurogames have little cubes that you scoot around to keep track of resources etc.

Partial Explanation here:

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Very cool dude. If I can ever get away from Settlers of Catan, I'll give this a try.

Suspect's Reviews

The People's Republic of Clogher
Argh. The two times in my life (then and now) when I've been interested in trying tabletop games I've been living about 30 miles away from any of my friends who were already into them. This is just the latest ridiculously cool game I've seen recently, and since there's a MoFo involved it's automatically the best.

Best of luck with the Kickstarter, Mike. The format seems well suited to stuff like this - Well made but slightly niche products.

Thanks for the feedback/input everyone!

Also - keep an eye out for another MoFo, LTIzzy, playing the game in the video above! She is the blonde on the left!

Any avid board gamers here on Mofo? Card gamers? I am currently addicted to Netrunner, which is a fantastic head to head card game in which one player plays a Mega-corporation, setting up servers and security, while the other player is Runner (hacker) using their rig to break through security and steal corporate agendas. Runs on the LCG model, which I really like a lot, because it doesn't cost a small fortune to play. it's probably my favorite game right now.

We also play a lot of Heavy Steam lately, as we work on the expansion module - news to follow on that sometime down the road!

A quick update, and then some Netrunner talk...

Our second game, Ninja Dice, is now complete and we have the copies in hand. Shipping starts today!

Very exciting for the Greenbrier crew as we head out to PAX East today to set up.

Now...Netrunner...has annyone played this game? It's so, so good...

Asymmetrical Living Card Game with no rares to chase, and no vacuum attached to your bank account. Unlike Magic, or other CCG games, when an expansion comes out, you pay about 10 bucks and you get full play sets (decks can have a max of 3 copies of most cards) of all the cards in the expansion, so you never have to chase cards or buy singles. A MUCH better model than the CCG model, which tends to bend players over for money constantly.

A ridiculously well designed game; my friends and I are total addicts right now, playing when ever we can squeeze games in. One player plays a Mega-corporation, setting up servers and security, while the other plays a hacker trying to infiltrate the servers and steal corporate agendas. If you get a chance to play this, do it!!

No, we didn't make that one - but I wish we did!

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm such a sucker for anything Steampunkular that I'm inclined to buy Heavy Steam knowing full well I'll rarely have anyone to play it with. Bit of a Valkyria Chronicles vibe going on with it as well, which is always a good thing.