Pets

Tools    

HAPPY 6th BIRTHDAY RUDY!!

Photos not coming through for me.

Here's another warning about Italian Greyhounds. Sometimes, they crawl under things and they can't get out. I had to lift it so Luigi could escape:

I keep a piggy. Mini Pig to be exact. The pink piece of meat eats my wallpaper every single day... LOL

I have a cat. Her name is Simba. I also want a pet hedgehog. I guess my love for hedgehogs started when I was a student at a veterinary school. I was studying to be a veterinarian, and in an online class they told us about hedgehogs. And the instructor showed us his hedgehog, and that's when I fell in love. I'm not ready to get another animal yet, but I'm going for it.

A long time ago I built a cat enclosure off our bedroom window which allows our cats to kind of hang out outside, if they choose, without running wild throughout the neighborhood. Well, cats being the cunning little devils that are, they always find a way out. I try to repair the avenue of escape but they always find another. Last night one of our cats got out.

I'm sitting watching the ball game last night when I hear a scream coming from the kitchen. I turn just in time to see Bakkie, our tuxedo cat, high tailing back toward the bedroom...with a rat hanging from his mouth. This bothers me for a couple of reasons. I feed this cat. He sits on me any chance he gets yet when he catches a rat and wants to bring somebody a gift, he brings it to "Mama?" I feel betrayed.

The ungrateful little beast relaxing in nature:

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I have a cat. Her name is Simba. I also want a pet hedgehog.

I had a pet hedgehog many years ago. They're adorable, but they're not an easy pet to have. My hedgehog used to hide under anything he could fit under, and it was hard to get him out if I couldn't lift his hiding place, (like the couch).

Also, they shed their quills all over the place, so if you get a pet hedgehog, do NOT walk around barefoot.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I found Matilda, one of my outdoor kitties that lingers around my home, in the road this morning. She wasn't hit or anything, but she was crouched there in the middle of a lane and seemed out of sorts. As I approached, she didn't pull away which was weird considering she usually keeps at least a 5' distance from me most days. Once a bit closer, I saw that her nose and eyes were coated in thick mucus and she probably couldn't see me to back away, or see anything to know the danger she was in laying in the roadway. I got a towel, picked her up and drove her to the vet. No news till later today I'm sure. The cats have all been passing around a cold/flu but it's only lasted 2-3 days for each. I guess Matilda being the runt, got it worse. She's been missing for at least a day. I hate that she's sick, but it was nice to finally be able to hold her in my lap for the drive up without her ripping out my jugular.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I found Matilda, one of my outdoor kitties that lingers around my home, in the road this morning. She wasn't hit or anything, but she was crouched there in the middle of a lane and seemed out of sorts. As I approached, she didn't pull away which was weird considering she usually keeps at least a 5' distance from me most days. Once a bit closer, I saw that her nose and eyes were coated in thick mucus and she probably couldn't see me to back away, or see anything to know the danger she was in laying in the roadway. I got a towel, picked her up and drove her to the vet. No news till later today I'm sure. The cats have all been passing around a cold/flu but it's only lasted 2-3 days for each. I guess Matilda being the runt, got it worse. She's been missing for at least a day. I hate that she's sick, but it was nice to finally be able to hold her in my lap for the drive up without her ripping out my jugular.
Awwwww, poor Matilda - here's hoping she can waltz again soon!!

p.s. I think you'll find your jugular is in your neck not your lap

Sounds like an upper respiratory infection. Very treatable. Thanks for caring.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Sounds like an upper respiratory infection. Very treatable. Thanks for caring.
Yeah, cat still has vision. Was worried about that considering the buildup over her eyes and nose. Vet called yesterday around noon for an update. Antibiotics, eye drops, and an injection of fluids for dehydration. Of course all the standard vaccines in that they admitted her. I asked if they could keep her for a few days as I'm not at the house enough to chase a mostly feral count around the yard each day to then lose two or three pints of blood over administering a few eye drops.

I figure I'll pick her up tomorrow or Friday. The one other cat finally showed back up last night. She's also congested and has goop around her eyes, but not nearly as bad as Matilda did. I think they were both on the downslope in recovery, but Matilda was near blind and in the road, lost. The other is walking around fine and all the other cats seem to have just had cold-like symptoms with a few sneezes here and there. Hopefully this will be the extent of the great cat pawdemic of 2022.