2021 Film Challenge

Tools    

Over the years, it's been increasingly clear that Max Landis' awfulness wasn't a fluke. It was genetic. John Landis is clearly a piece of ****.

Besides that though, Animal House remains one of my top 10 favorite comedies. Increasingly, for reasons I can't quite articulate. There is only a handful of bits I find legitimately funny. And I've never been particularly in love with John Belushi. But there is just something so warm and familiar about the film, that it makes me smile. Which is also strange, since its mostly a loud, unsubtle, insulting, immoral, stupid, out-of-shape, hooligan of a film. But I guess I have friends that are like this too. And that my taste in people is probably just as bad as it is for movies.

And by bad I, of course, mean impeccable.

I like Animal House enough, but outside of Belushi, I do think the movie suffers when viewed now because of it's enormous influence. I don't like knocking movies for being dated, but so many comedies have pulled from its template so directly and lazily, that things that might have seemed fresh earlier feel stale as a result. Not a fault of the movie, but hard to approach with truly fresh eyes these days.

I find Trading Places quite a bit more enjoyable, as far as Landis goes.

And I've never been particularly in love with John Belushi.
What the hell.

I like Animal House enough, but outside of Belushi, I do think the movie suffers when viewed now because of it's enormous influence. I don't like knocking movies for being dated, but so many comedies have pulled from its template so directly and lazily, that things that might have seemed fresh earlier feel stale as a result. Not a fault of the movie, but hard to approach with truly fresh eyes these days.

I find Trading Places quite a bit more enjoyable, as far as Landis goes.

What the hell.

Animal House has definitely been sucked dry by copy cat films, and its college years zeitgeist can't help but feel tamed in comparison. But much like much of the original Marx Brothers material has been pilfered over the years by every corner of comedy culture, there is something to be said about seeing where it all originally came from. The vibrancy remains in Animal House, even if the shock, and sometimes the laughs, do not.

As for Belushi, I don't hate him. But as the leading light of those early SNL years, I'd quickly rank him behind Aykroyd, Chase, Radner and Murray. I think he's a magnetic presence on screen, but that has never really translated into many laughs for me. It also doesn't help I read Woodward's "Wired", which paints Belushi (probably not always fairly) as an insufferable, obnoxious brat, before I'd really seen much of him. Possibly tainted me at least a little bit.

Here’s looking at you, kid.
Currently I was going for Joel Coen as my director but I wouldn’t mind going a different route. Anyone have any suggestions for a director with ten amazing films under their belt?

Billy Wilder
Alfred Hitchcock
Woody Allen
All come to mind, wasn’t sure if their was a director I was missing that could suck me down the rabbit hole

Currently I was going for Joel Coen as my director but I wouldn’t mind going a different route. Anyone have any suggestions for a director with ten amazing films under their belt?

Billy Wilder
Alfred Hitchcock
Woody Allen
All come to mind, wasn’t sure if their was a director I was missing that could suck me down the rabbit hole
Do you have access to the Criterion Channel?

They have tons of films by Fassbinder and Demy (who will be my 10 films).

Do you have access to the Criterion Channel?

They have tons of films by Fassbinder and Demy (who will be my 10 films).

Yeah, I’m a subscriber, I’ll look into them, never heard of them, hoping for a good watch.

Do you have a film recommendation to get me started? Preferably a film to get me to buy into his films?

Yeah, I’m a subscriber, I’ll look into them, never heard of them, hoping for a good watch.

Do you have a film recommendation to get me started? Preferably a film to get me to buy into his films?
For Fassbinder, probably Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant or Ali: Fear Eats the Soul. Even his films I haven't loved have had something memorable about them. I really enjoyed watching a bunch of his film for the last round.

Demy is someone I'm trying to get into, but maybe The Umbrellas of Cherbourg?

The Criterion Channel is actually a great source for this category, because they have several director collections.

Three quarters of the way through seems like a good time for an update.

Just eight to go in the main challenge. As I expected, I don't think I'll finish nightmare mode, but I have completed two of those categories and I'll probably get to one or two more.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Billy Wilder
Alfred Hitchcock
Woody Allen
If you haven't touched base too much, Wilder has a serious amount of films to meander through as far as the three you mentioned goes, that would be my favorite though obviously, the other two are just as solid depending on one's preferences.

If you haven't touched base too much, Wilder has a serious amount of films to meander through as far as the three you mentioned goes, that would be my favorite though obviously, the other two are just as solid depending on one's preferences.
Yeah, I figured I would subject myself to one of the greats I haven’t gotten to dive into yet properly

I have seen
Alfred Hitchcock: 6 (Psycho, Rear Window, Rope, the Birds, Vertigo, North by Northwest)
Billy Wilder: 1 (Double Indemnity)
Woody Allen: 0

Yeah, I figured I would subject myself to one of the greats I haven’t gotten to dive into yet properly

I have seen
Alfred Hitchcock: 6 (Psycho, Rear Window, Rope, the Birds, Vertigo, North by Northwest)
Billy Wilder: 1 (Double Indemnity)
Woody Allen: 0
Even with Hitchcock you still have a ton of films worth enjoying and checking out, so I imagine its a case of seeing what kinds of films you are in the mood to watch.
What I've done is visit their page on IMDb and run down their List of Films and see how many pops out at me and the one that continuously catches my eye, I go with.
I can't honestly remember your tastes so it's hard to make a suggestion and I am biased when it comes to Wilder, especially his writing and he does have a bit of a variety in his type of films with a penchant for an amusing perspective when it comes to a large selection of his films. And Allen and Hitchcock ARE Allen and Hitchcock in regards to what to expect.

Though, once you decide I'm pretty sure the rest of us will be happy to suggest films should you wish us to.

Even with Hitchcock you still have a ton of films worth enjoying and checking out, so I imagine its a case of seeing what kinds of films you are in the mood to watch.
What I've done is visit their page on IMDb and run down their List of Films and see how many pops out at me and the one that continuously catches my eye, I go with.
I can't honestly remember your tastes so it's hard to make a suggestion and I am biased when it comes to Wilder, especially his writing and he does have a bit of a variety in his type of films with a penchant for an amusing perspective when it comes to a large selection of his films. And Allen and Hitchcock ARE Allen and Hitchcock in regards to what to expect.

Though, once you decide I'm pretty sure the rest of us will be happy to suggest films should you wish us to.

Yeah, I knew I had only hit the tip of the iceberg with Hitchcock, since he is one of the filmmakers I was interested in diving deeper.

I think I’ll take your advice, see if I can come up with ten movies from a single director I am highly interested in.

If I pick Hitchcock, I already have Vertigo and North by Northwest. For Wilder, I also saw Double Indemnity already as well, I’ll have to weigh that in to my decision.

Oh, regarding my process, I knocked out my second collection of challenges:

F. I see dead people:
[Watch one film from each group of deceased directors, actors & cinematographers]
1. Elia Kazan (Director) Panic in the Streets (1950) REVIEW
2. Robert Bresson (writing & directing) Pickpocket (1959) REVIEW
3. Yul Brynner The Buccaneer (1958) REVIEW
4. Janet Leigh Act of Violence (1948) REVIEW
5. Sven Nykvist (Cinematography) Shame aka Skammen (1968) REVIEW

@edarsenal

If I chose these directors, these are the films I know I would watch, the blank spaces next to numbers I wouldn’t mind some recommendations, if y’all don’t mind

Billy Wilder:
1. Sunset Boulevard
2. The Apartment
3. Some Like it Hot
4. Double Indemnity*
5. Sabrina
6. Ace in the Hole
7. Witness for the Prosecution

Alfred Hitchcock
1. Rear Window*
2. Vertigo*
3. North by Northwest*
4. The Birds
5. To Catch a Thief
6. Dial M for Murder
7. Strangers on a Train

Woody Allen:
I’m just going to watch his Owen Wilson film, for my Actor category and maybe one other to dip my feet in this year.

Do you have any streaming service preferences?

In addition to what you have listed, possibly consider:
Stalag 17
The Lost Weekend
Irma La Douce

@edarsenal

If I chose these directors, these are the films I know I would watch, the blank spaces next to numbers I wouldn’t mind some recommendations, if y’all don’t mind

Billy Wilder:
1. Sunset Boulevard
2. The Apartment
3. Some Like it Hot
4. Double Indemnity*
5. Sabrina
6. Ace in the Hole

Alfred Hitchcock
1. Rear Window*
2. Vertigo*
3. North by Northwest*
4. The Birds
5. To Catch a Thief
6. Dial M for Murder
7. Strangers on a Train

Woody Allen:
I’m just going to watch his Owen Wilson film, for my Actor category and maybe one other to dip my feet in this year.
I'll be honored to throw in some personal favorites and possibly Must See!

Billy Wilder:
1. Sunset Boulevard
2. The Apartment
3. Some Like it Hot
4. Double Indemnity*
5. Sabrina
6. Ace in the Hole
SOLID, EXCELLENT calls to explore upon. These are his iconic best, so I'll throw some favs and "hidden gems" into the mix.
8. Stalag 17 (1953) A personal favorite since I was but a pup and still holds out for me to this day. Another stellar Holden performance in, for me, his iconic echelon as well.
9. The Major and The Minor (1942) This is Wilder at his most Screwball Comedy. It's NOT Echelon, but it is - should you enjoy Screwball, definitely in good standings.
10. The Seven Year Itch (1955) And speaking of fun -- Wilder pokes fun at the neurotic babbling of a married man who's family is away on summer vacation, utterly intoxicated by Marilyn Monroe as the new upstairs neighbor.
***Cinematic Bonus*** Monroe's iconic white dress billowing up over a sidewalk grating.

Alfred Hitchcock
1. Rear Window*
2. Vertigo*
3. North by Northwest*
4. The Birds
5. To Catch a Thief
6. Dial M for Murder
7. Strangers on a Train
Exactly as previously stated on your calls and my suggestions.
8. The Lady Vanishes (1938) A Lesser Known Gem from Alfie's early days in London. Showcasing his brilliance in its budding form.
9. Lifeboat (1944) The claustrophobic environs of survivors of a torpedoed Merchant Ship during WWII wondering which one of them is a survivor from the equally sunk German U Boat. Hitchcock paces the tension to a violinist's concerto. IMO.
10. Shadow of a Doubt (1943) A great thriller "cat and mouse" film. The innocent (Theresa Wright) accidentally discovers that her favorite uncle (Joseph Cotten) is a truly dangerous wolf in sheep's clothing, aka "Merry Widow" killer.

For Hitchcock I will also throw in Notorious, probably my favorite of his films behind Psycho. My third favorite of his is probably The 39 Steps. Shadow of a Doubt is excellent. I will also strongly second Lifeboat and The Lady Vanishes.

Should get the main challenge done (5 completed). That Dogme and Sundance are dragging me though. Also need to find a good 80's coming of age and 70's apocalyptic movie. Nightmare? Not gonna come close. Have only completed 2 (Foreign and Horror) so far

Main Challenge 50/52

Nightmare Mode 61/110