Rate that Movie: Platoon

Tools    

Eight out of ten.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It's really good and the best Vietnam war movie in my opinion.

One thing I don't understand about the story though.

WARNING: "SPOILERS" spoilers below
When the soldiers raded the village, they made a big deal about how Barnes shoots a helpless woman to do death. But Barnes already killed those guys in the whole with the WP grenade. So why is it that they made a big deal about him killing the woman, when he already killed the people in the hole, previously?

It's really good and the best Vietnam war movie in my opinion.

One thing I don't understand about the story though.

WARNING: "SPOILERS" spoilers below
When the soldiers raded the village, they made a big deal about how Barnes shoots a helpless woman to do death. But Barnes already killed those guys in the whole with the WP grenade. So why is it that they made a big deal about him killing the woman, when he already killed the people in the hole, previously?
A few theories on the question:

1. The platoon was still keyed up over the brutal killing of one of their own troops when they entered the village so they may have just written off the guys in the hole as enemy combatants since they suspected the enemy of hiding out there - and those guys were hiding in a hole as opposed to just going about their business.

2. It seemed to happen when the platoon just entered the village & off to the side - i.e. neither the entire platoon or entire village was gathered round to witness it. (Other platoon members were shown off doing other things when it occurred).

3. The people in the hole were men (???)

4. They weren't a helpless female who is summarily executed publicly, with all eyes on the action (most of the platoon & village now watching) including in front of the officer in charge who did nothing to stop it.

P.S. Please forgive if I don't remember all the details.

The trick is not minding
The reason was the men who were hiding were considered enemy soldiers and therefore combatants. This is speculation here, but they probably thought since they were enemy soldiers and refused to come out, and probably armed, they just eliminated them.

The woman, in the other hand, was unarmed and no clear threat. She was killed out of pure frustration on Barnes part.

The sacking of the village was also meant to portray the actual My Lay (spelling) massacre.