Movie Tab II

Tools    

August, 2021 movies watched-

Sophie's Choice (1982)
+ Strong story and performances.

Monsieur Hire (1989)
+ Superb French film from the Ebert list.

August viewings-2
2021 viewings-103

Altered (2006) -

A troupe of rednecks abduct an alien. Schlocky and more fun than the IMDB score suggests. Decent actors either mumble or yell at each other while doing questionable stuff. They’re still relatable enough, but maybe that’s just cause I live in central Florida.

Joy Ride (2001) -

Two young men play a prank on a baddie. Said prank is painfully dumb & forced, kind of cheapening the whole conflict. Perfunctory thriller stuff, but it has cooler cinematography than I expected.

Abbott and Costello Meet The Killer (1949) -

One of the better ones. More whodunnit than horror spoof.

The Shrine (2010)

Three travelers investigate disappearances in a small Lovecraftian village. Quite a few red flags are ignored. I didn’t get too invested in the characters, and the cult-ish baddies seems a little trite, but it finishes pretty strong.

Frozen (2010) -

Three people get left behind on a ski lift. A what-would-you-do scenario with great acting and a screenplay that really seems to care about its characters.

Asylum Blackout / The Incident (2011)

Chefs and guards are locked in an asylum with rampaging lunatics during an electrical outage. Ultra-ultra-violent with a great atmosphere and a very twisted portrayal of sadistic loons. It feels like a survival horror game. The ending will likely disappoint.

Points for nice Wilhelm scream placement.

Underwater (2020) -

Apparently I can’t resist mediocre underwater monster movies. It’s often hard to make out what’s happening behind bubbles, dust, ridiculous Gears of War suits, & caffeinated camera men, and I have little desire to see folks dodging CG debris. I liked that it was a little more adventurous than most of its ilk, and some of the dramatic stuff was better than it has a right to be in this kind of movie. Whoever got to pick the title must have dirt on a studio exec.

Altered (2006) -

A troupe of rednecks abduct an alien. Schlocky and more fun than the IMDB score suggests. Decent actors either mumble or yell at each other while doing questionable stuff. They’re still relatable enough, but maybe that’s just cause I live in central Florida.

Joy Ride (2001) -

Two young men play a prank on a baddie. Said prank is painfully dumb & forced, kind of cheapening the whole conflict. Perfunctory thriller stuff, but it has cooler cinematography than I expected.

Abbott and Costello Meet The Killer (1949) -

One of the better ones. More whodunnit than horror spoof.

The Shrine (2010)

Three travelers investigate disappearances in a small Lovecraftian village. Quite a few red flags are ignored. I didn’t get too invested in the characters, and the cult-ish baddies seems a little trite, but it finishes pretty strong.

Frozen (2010) -

Three people get left behind on a ski lift. A what-would-you-do scenario with great acting and a screenplay that really seems to care about its characters.

Asylum Blackout / The Incident (2011)

Chefs and guards are locked in an asylum with rampaging lunatics during an electrical outage. Ultra-ultra-violent with a great atmosphere and a very twisted portrayal of sadistic loons. It feels like a survival horror game. The ending will likely disappoint.

Points for nice Wilhelm scream placement.

Underwater (2020) -

Apparently I can’t resist mediocre underwater monster movies. It’s often hard to make out what’s happening behind bubbles, dust, ridiculous Gears of War suits, & caffeinated camera men, and I have little desire to see folks dodging CG debris. I liked that it was a little more adventurous than most of its ilk, and some of the dramatic stuff was better than it has a right to be in this kind of movie. Whoever got to pick the title must have dirt on a studio exec.
I really wanted to like Underwater, I really did. It had so much potential. If I recall correctly it was the CGI monsters that ruined it for me. What little I was able to see, anyway. At least that's what I remember being disappointed with the most. Well, I'm glad you enjoyed Asylum Blackout, ha.

A system of cells interlinked
Flight 93

Markle, 2006

Low-rent knock off of the Paul Greengrass flick United 93. Basically the same film with less directorial skill and more melodrama.

Zero Dark Thirty

Bigelow, 2011

Perhaps Bigelow's most well-directed film. Interesting and engaging, but still comes off as a bit of a CIA puff piece.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

Bay, 2016

Easily Bay's most watchable film for me, but I tend to dislike Bay, so that's not saying a lot. Still...Bay exercises quite a bit more restraint here than he normally does, going over the top less and managing to not completely go off the rails into sensory overload nonsense. Then again, this isn't a Transformers film or whatever other nonsense he usually makes. I dunno, I liked this one more than I thought I would.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

Jones, 2005

How had I not heard of this film? Luckily, I recently spotted this flick at the very top of a "best of the 2000s" list curated by none other than Holden Pike. Glad I took a shot, because it was excellent. Thinking back, I can't really find fault with this one. Will go ahead and give it a perfect rating for now.

I think 13 Hours benefits a lot from Bay giving you a sense of the compound's layout, which makes the action a lot easier to follow.

A system of cells interlinked
I think 13 Hours benefits a lot from Bay giving you a sense of the compound's layout, which makes the action a lot easier to follow.
I forgot to mention that it is paced really, really well, never dragging and never accelerating into craziness, as he is known to do.

Lamb (Johansson, 2021)

I can't say I'm very impressed with this movie regardless of the lense I take. Whether I view it as a horror or try to interpret the film as a metaphorical art house film to dissect, there's just not much there. Johansson gives the audience very little, and expects them to do a lot. Lamb gives you a decent, but not overly intense landscape. Three extremely one-dimensional characters, with immediately clear vices. & a kinda funny looking chimeras. After that you're on your own, and I couldn't muster the interest.

-
Other Viewings:
{REWATCH} We Need to Talk About Kevin (Ramsay, 2011) -

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (Berlinger, 2019) -
-
Freaky (Landon, 2020)-

Assasins Run (Cromby/Skya, 2013)-
-
A Fall From Grace (Perry, 2020)-

Nothing to exciting in the film world for me, did just get into The Sopranos however, and I'm loving it

タイムコップ Timecop
Mad Max Ultimate review
Multiple views.

Weird, fast, furious, cheap and awesome!

Action masterclass! Madness in the desert of the future real. The world of thus who survived the end of civilization.

Sadness and darkness disguised with innocence. The world of those born after the end. Nothing but sand and dreams - Haunting. Great ending for Mel's trilogy. Goodbye, soldier.

Good action, weak characters. Fast, furious and boring.