Does anyone hate how you never see smoking in movies anymore?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I watch a lot of film noir movies and am a fan, and the smoking really adds to a the crime genre atmosphere. But you never see it anymore. Yes I know people do not do it as much nowadays but they still do more in real life, compared to movies, but it would still add to it in my opinion. What do you think?

The trick is not minding
It’s funny that you bring this up because I was just thinking about this very thing last night. I may have to take a closer look at recent film to get a better idea of whether or not it’s jus tony imagination or not.
I’m not bothered by it.

The last movie I have seen that feels like it has a good amount was The Departed (2006). But has smoking really gone down a whole lot since 2006?

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Eh, not really. It's funny how the rating system has changed in regards to smoking, though. For a few years now, it's been in place that a film has to automatically take a PG rating if someone smokes. It's even in the rating description for When Marnie Was There.

Smoking in films seems to have made somewhat of a resurgence. And it's true that smoking can be used in many ways to enhance dramatic effects.

There was a time --when anti-smoking was first fashionably popular-- that smoking was limited to non-existent in movies. It used to bug me during that time that movies set in the 1930s-'50s oftentimes were shown with nobody smoking, whereas probably half the population smoked then..

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
If it serves the story use it. If not, what does it matter?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I don't hate it, but I definitely notice it and the contrast between contemporary films and films in the 40's and 50's where EVERYONE smoked. Maybe filmmakers feel guilt about promoting a definite health hazard, I don't know. But it doesn't change the fact that there are still a whole lot of people out there, myself included, who smoke and erasing it from the movies isn't going to change that.

Does anyone hate how you never see smoking in movies anymore?
Yes. Phillip Morris International.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It seems to me that newer movies made this century have more smoking in them than those of the 80s and 90s. But if you want more smoking in a movie just set your TV set on fire

You ready? You look ready.
My cravings hit me hard when I see people smoking on screen, so big fat no from me.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

New generation, I am yet to see vaping in movies. As far as smoking goes, I don't care. Show it or not show it. Smoked for 18 years, trying to get to 0.

You can always tell a non-smoker who has to smoke in a movie. The non-smoker will take a drag on the cigarette like every second. A real smoker doesn’t do this.

I don’t care if actors smoke or don’t smoke in a movie. Neutral both ways.

The Indian movie industry a few years ago tried to smoking in movies absolutely banned. Which was a bit extreme. It got a push back from the movie makers, so now every time someone smokes on screen, there is a disclaimer that shows up on the bottom left or right, "SMOKING KILLS"!!!

You can always tell a non-smoker who has to smoke in a movie. The non-smoker will take a drag on the cigarette like every second. A real smoker doesn’t do this.

I don’t care if actors smoke or don’t smoke in a movie. Neutral both ways.
Oh really, I see movies where the actor holds the cigarette and that's all they do, so I thought this was the sign of a non-smoker.

Oh really, I see movies where the actor holds the cigarette and that's all they do, so I thought this was the sign of a non-smoker.
That too, most likely.