Does anyone hate how you never see smoking in movies anymore?

Tools    

555, my favourite of all time!

It kinda is, but I guess it's a happy compromise. Problem with an Indian dude or dudette, who watches a lot of subtitled movies, he might get fixated on the text thinking it's a subtitle!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It seems to me that newer movies made this century have more smoking in them than those of the 80s and 90s. But if you want more smoking in a movie just set your TV set on fire
Oh really, I hardly ever see it now. Which newer movies for example?

did anybody wait until the end credits of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood for that Rick Dalton cigarette commercial, most hilarious moment in the whole film.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Oh really, I hardly ever see it now. Which newer movies for example?
I'm pretty sure Mel was smoking in Dragged Across Concrete

Oh really, I see movies where the actor holds the cigarette and that's all they do, so I thought this was the sign of a non-smoker.
Oftentimes we see a character who is supposed to be a smoker who never inhales, so it usually looks fake. That's probably a non-smoker in real life. The ones who do inhale probably have been, or still are, smokers. Maybe there are smoking coaches..

I've often wondered about actors negotiating their roles when it comes to smoking. For the non-smokers, do they have to sign waivers, or may they be expected to argue the activity? I'm sure it comes up all the time.

The truth is in here
I think the reason smoking might seem less frequent nowadays is due to a shift in culture. People don't smoke nearly as much in the US as in the 30's-50's, when it was even commonly accepted for children to smoke.

I agree smoking can have a certain dramatic effect in certain genres such as mafia epics and film-noir, but other than that I really don't think about it that much unless it's directly drawn attention to.

That's true, people don't do it as often now, but they still seem to do it a lot more in real life compared to in the movies still.

Well compared to old mob movies, even the Irishman was let smokey if I recall correctly!

I think the reason smoking might seem less frequent nowadays is due to a shift in culture.

People don't smoke nearly as much in the US as in the 30's-50's, when it was even commonly accepted for children to smoke.

I agree smoking can have a certain dramatic effect in certain genres such as mafia epics and film-noir, but other than that I really don't think about it that much unless it's directly drawn attention to.
Commonly accepted for children to smoke? When and where was that? I believe at one time the smoking age was 21.

Commonly accepted for children to smoke? When and where was that? I believe at one time the smoking age was 21.
I don't seem to recall there ever being a legal smoking age when I was growing up (like as for buying alcohol). People never started thinking it was a risk of disease for the smoker until the mid 1960s.

I'm not sure there was even a legal purchase age for cigarettes/cigars until more recent times, plus there were cigarette machines everywhere. People used to tsk-tsk at a young kid smoking, but smoking was so commonplace that most didn't give it a thought.

I don't seem to recall there ever being a legal smoking age when I was growing up (like as for buying alcohol). People never started thinking it was a risk of disease for the smoker until the mid 1960s.

I'm not sure there was even a legal purchase age for cigarettes/cigars until more recent times, plus there were cigarette machines everywhere. People used to tsk-tsk at a young kid smoking, but smoking was so commonplace that most didn't give it a thought.
You might be right about there never being a 21 age smoking limit, though somewhere I thought I heard that. Though I do know even back in the 1940s people referred to cigarettes as 'coffin nails', so they did know they were bad, but didn't know just how bad they really were.

Many years ago an old timer told me that when he was younger, a doctor advised him to start smoking to help his stress.
My wife's, grandmother's sister had asthma when she was a young adult and was advised to smoke to 'relax' her throat. That was back in the 40s or 50s. She died of smoking related disease many years later.

Account terminated on request
I'm mostly in the "adios mofo" category for smoking in films.

Unless it critically endemic to the character, I think all it does is perpetuate a broken concept that it's somehow adding texture to characters and scenes.

As long as folks (particularly kids) view it in such a light, it'll sit in the back of their minds as an image thing. All folks are susceptible to such hinting influences.

If it's not necessary, why add to it's acceptance? Nah, just toss it away.

I'm also full-onboard with any and all attempts to make sure all folks in cars are seen with their seatbelts on.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Account terminated on request
did anybody wait until the end credits of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood for that Rick Dalton cigarette commercial, most hilarious moment in the whole film.
Didn't know about it. Thanks for the heads-up!!!!

Well as far as kids and teenagers being influenced by smoking goes, I thought that most kids nowadays do not see it as 'cool', like they did 20 years ago. I thought the newer generation of kids now see it as that dorky thing that older generations do, and they don't want to associate themselves with being old. Unless that's wrong and a lot are still influenced by it?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Peaky Blinders makes up for everything else.