Fear and Loathing in MoFo... The Gunslinger45's Top 50 Favorite Films.

→ in
Tools    

47. The Exorcist (1973) (R) USA
Horror
Friedkin
New Hollywood

Aaaaand transition from girls singing songs to a little girl screaming “Your mother sucks ****s in Hell!” Crazy right? The scariest movie I have ever seen. EVER… Makes sense for a good Roman Catholic boy like myself to be terrified by this flick. Still holds up to this day. Unsettling subject matter, atmosphere and mood galore, and Linda Blair was downright terrifying. Many more exorcism films were made after this film, but this is still the best.
You know what's scary? It's as old as me and I saw it only once before you were born. Because I didn't dare to give it another go. And I still don't. Anyway I agree. It it by miles and away the scariest, and Linda to do that as a kid...but I also agree with Gatsby. It simply isn't my style of horror. It is very Christian (even though Friedkin is Jewish), with good defeating evil and all, but did they really have to do all this?! I've always prefered Rosemary's Baby, even though it's anti-Christian in fact. It's even worse. Satan wins, but if you really want a movie that is ...EVIL, I don't know another word, which leaves you in utter despair and kills all hope and everything inside you...But the key for me is Polanski's directing. He's exceptionally subtle, and such a realization is what makes it even creepier. It's the psychological horror, whilst The Exorcist is the explicit, action-packed, brutal, straight-forward.

46. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) (PG) USA
Sci-Fi
Kubrick
Theater

I have appreciated this film ever since I saw it. But I only recently got to feel the full effect of the film when I saw it on the big screen. One of the best theatrical experiences I have ever had, it was incredible to see this film on a theater screen and to hear the classical score through a cinema sound system. It amplified what I already thought was a fantastic film, into an incredible experience. I have to see this again on the big screen when I get the chance.
Aha! It DID make the list! Actually my first viewing was in a theater in 1981. I was bored AS HELL. and didn't understand absolutely anything, just as I'm unsure if anyine ever has. But who cares, it's my all time favorite movie ever made etc period

36. Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn (1987) (R) USA
Horror / Comedy
Raimi

The Evil Dead is another classic midnight movie, but I admit I much prefer the sequel / reimagining Evil Dead 2. It is still bloody and gory, but it also has the perfect blend of comedy. It also doesn’t hurt that it stars one of the greatest B movie actors in Bruce Campbell in his best role. Only in a film like this can a guy strap a chainsaw to his arm and wield a sawed of double barrel be done let alone be awesome! Plenty of laughs, buckets of blood, and plenty of scares. It is just an all around great film.
I'm gonna have some difficulty here because it's been so long, I'm not even sure I saw both anymore. Anyway, I adore it. Raimi has gotta be one of the most unique film makers I've seen. I remember still though I may have seen it first (I just don't know which one!) while skiing as a kid. There were we, the kids expecting to be terrifyied. And... Cmon, man! This is the best comedy ever made! Wait a minute! The one when they locked sweet little Henrietta in a basement is no1?

hahahahhahahahha here we are, baby!

32. Zombieland (2009) (R) USA
Horror / Comedy
Fleischer
Theater (Original Release)

I was REALLY big into zombie movies in my college days thanks to George Romero. So when I saw this was coming to theaters, I had to see it. What I got was a very original and VERY funny take on the zombie movie. Great cast, great sets, great gore, big laughs, easily one of the greatest cameos in any movie ever, and lots of fun. I saw it twice maybe three times in the theater. It was just so much fun to watch. It was also one of the very first movies I remember downloading to my then brand new i-Pod. It is my favorite horror comedy, and still one of the best time I had in the theater.
I've always loved Woody. He's such a likeable, funny guy and a terrific actor and always plays (well, not always) these likeable comical loosers. Like in that other movie with Bill Murray (and that's whom you meant by cameo, right? ) and bowling when he had to do it with some ugly witch and was throwing up afterwards while she was putting hoolahoops on "Come on, it wasn't that bad."

Anyways, I fully agree. This is one hella hilarious movie, my favorite scene is when the lead guy first meets Woody with a shotgun and they tensly measure each other's strenght and all of a sudden he picks a ride with thumb up!