mark f's Movie Tab III

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm happy you watched "Magical Girl". I'm curious to know your thoughts on it, all I can get now is that you may or may not have liked it?
I was intrigued by the characters and how their lives actually fit together. I was a little disappointed that most things of significance occurred off-screen - not all but the majority. The film also seemed a bit too long at two hours. I'm still thinking about it, but it seems to have little connection to real life. I guess my fave films don't either but there was some truth to the characters' actions. Hey, but it's about magic. So, I do give it a 6/10 which is a mild recommendation. I'd suggest Most Beautiful Island as a similar movie, although I think Magical Girl is probably better.
Cheers Mark, appreciate your taking the time to respond. Might try and seek one of his out at some point just for a giggle.
I definitely think that's a waste of time.
I don't remember that scene from the film, was it in the trailer to trick the audience?
Yes, it's not in the movie but I was looking for a GIF which was different but covered what the movie is about.. I never saw the trailer, but I'd bet it's a deleted scene from a nightmare in the sunken place.

II definitely think that's a waste of time.
Oh almost certainly but I've already found Deadly Revenge on YouTube and the wife will be in Americky the entire week after next so I'll need to amuse myself somehow. Amusingly the first couple I looked for on YT actually wanted payment to watch them (never gonna happen ).

Have you seen any Neil Breen films, Mark? Just discovered the dude the other day, his films are definitely The Room level although he's got to be self-aware as that level of incompetence is absurd.

Watched this the other day:

movies can be okay...

He is a breenius film-maker who deserves more attention than he gets! His films are very complex, and need to be carefully analysed, just to grasp half of their meaning.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

The Green Prince (Nadav Schirman, 2014)

Menu (Nick Grinde, 1933)
+
The Awful Truth (Leo McCarey, 1937)

Skippy (Norman Taurog, 1931)
+

Skippy (Oscar Best Actor nominee Jackie Cooper) and his best friend Sooky (Robert Coogan) from the other side of the tracks try to earn money to buy a dog.
Kiwi! (Dony Permedi, 2009)

The Perfect Catch (Stephen R. Monroe, 2017)
-
How to Sleep (Nick Grinde, 1935)

Two Arabian Knights (Lewis Milestone, 1927)

WWI American POWs William Boyd & Louis Wolheim escape the Germans, and later try to help an Arabian princess Mary Astor in the only film to win a Best Director of a Comedy Film.
Fateful Findings (Neil Breen, 2014)

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (Frank Capra, 1936)

There Once was an Island: Te Henua e Nnoho (Briar March, 2011)

The Divine Lady (Frank Lloyd, 1929)

Frank Lloyd won the first of his two Best Director Oscars for this adventure romance of the love between Lady Hamilton (Corinne Griffith) and Lord Nelson (Victor Varconi).
Goff in the Desert (Heinz Emigholz, 2003)

Knife Skills (Thomas Lennon, 2017)

Past Life (Avi Nesher, 2016)

Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405 (Frank Stiefel, 2017)

Oscar-nominated documentary short about artist Mindy Alper who suffers from anxiety disorders and depression.
Woman on the Run (Jason Borque, 2017)

D'Annunzios Cave (Heinz Emigholz, 2005))

Undercover Wife aka Not with My Wife (Chad Crowchuk, 2016)

California Typewriter (Doug Nichol, 2017)

While many people of all ages are looking to the past and enjoying the craftsmanship and physical, historical records produced by typewriters [including my daughter Sarah], one enthusiast looks to the future by making sculptures out of parts he takes from surplus and sometimes specialized typewriters. The eyes are supposed to resemble Mark Zuckerberg's.

Mr. Woodcock (Craig Gillespie, 2007)
+
I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (Dennis Dugan, 2007)

Deadly Sorority (Shawn Tolleson, 2017)

The Constant Factor (Krzysztof Zanussi, 1980)

A man (Tadeusz Bradecki) wants to follow in his father’s footsteps to climb the Himalayas and those of his dying mother (Zofia Mrozowska) to live independently outside of the system.

Blue, White and Perfect (Herbert I. Leeds, 1942)

Going to Blazes! (Gunther V. Fritsch, 1948)
-
House of Secrets (Kevin L. Power, 2014)

Justice League (Zack Snyder, 2017)
+

Batman (Ben Affleck) does something or other.
Tiny House of Terror (Paul Shapiro, 2017)

The Longest Yard (Peter Segal, 2005)

Blondie in the Dough (Abby Berlin, 1947)
+
Medicine for Melancholy (Barry Jenkins, 2009)

After they awake in the morning, two young San Franciscans (Wyatt Cenac & Tracey Huggins) spend the day together and get to know each other and the city.
The House I Live In (Mervyn LeRoy, 1945)

Deadly Inn aka Home Invaders (John Murlowski, 2018)

I Have Your Children aka Amber Alert (Philippe Gagnon, 2016)

Take Every Wave: The Life of Laird Hamilton (Rory Kennedy, 2017)

Big-wave surfer Laird Hamilton is shown in a typical wave.
Night Light (Lawrence Jacob, 2017)

Manny Dearest aka A Stranger with My Kids (Chad Krowchuk, 2017)

Lost in Paris (Abel & Gordon, 2017)
+
The Square (Ruben Östlund, 2017)
+

Pretentious artist Dominic West triggers the Monkey Man (Terry Notary).

The Curse of JT Walsh (Marjorie Sturm, 2015)
-
Her Infidelity (Christie Witt, 2015)

13 Minutes (Oliver Hirschbiegel, 2015)

Being There (Hal Ashby, 1979)

Simple-minded gardener Peter Sellers turns on the wife (Shirley MacLaine) of dying, politically-influential businessman Melvyn Douglas.
Princess Cyd (Stephen Cone, 2017)
-
Swagger (Olivier Babinet, 2016)

The Tent who Wanted to Be in a Film (Abel & Gordon, 2017)
+
The Death of Stalin (Armando Iannucci, 2017)
+

Nikita Khrushchev (Steve Buscemi) tries to console the daughter (Andrea Riseborough) and son (Rupert Friend) of the dead Soviet dictator (Adrian McLoughlin.).
Las Plantas (Roberto Doveris, 2016)
+
Mickey's Mellerdrammer (Wilfred Jackson, 1933)

Hush (Harvey Kahn, 2005)

All the President’s Men (Alan J. Pakula, 1976)
+

Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward (Robert Redford) & Carl Bernstein (Dustin Hoffman) type up their Watergate story.
Life As a Fatal Sexually Transmitted Disease (Krzysztof Zanussi, 2000)
+
Bisonhead (Elizabeth Lo, 2016)

So You Want to Be in Pictures (Richard Bare, 1947)

Camouflage (Krzysztof Zanussi, 1977)

Yes, we get it – life in Communist Poland sucked; check out authoritarian Zbigniew Zapasiewicz and his relationship with more open Piotr Garlicki.
Web Cam Girls aka Lost Girls (Doug Campbell, 2017)

King of Marvin Gardens (Bob Rafelson, 1971)
-
Walking on the Wild Side (Abel & Gordon, 2000)

The Woman Who Left (Lav Diaz, 2016)

Angelic Charo Santos-Concio, who was wrongly imprisoned for 30 years, takes care of abused transvestite hooker John Lloyd Cruz.j

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Sam Peckinpah, 1974)
Cult Rating

Things I like about Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia include: Warren Oates (I always like him); Isela Vega (who wouldn't?); the opening scene, which begins idyllically and also it seems like you're watching a 19th-century western, and then they edit to all the cars and planes (my vote for best editing in the film); Jerry Fielding's score (although not up there with Straw Dogs); the fact that Bennie and the Head get along so well, the fact that a "loser" goes out a "winner", the mention of Fred C. Dobbs, the title. There are more, but we can discuss those.

Things I dislike about it are: I think half of the film shouldn't even be in the film (scenes which go on and on which should have been blue-penciled); Peckinpah's trademark slo-mo balletic violence just doesn't work here; the two motorcyclists!!!; the ease with which our hero (and I consider him a hero) accomplishes things; technical flubs (now, I could be wrong, but it seemed clear to me that their tire blew out when the truck almost ran head-on into them, but no problem in the story concerning the tire; then a half-hour later, they have to fix a flat tire from out of nowhere); all the other hitmen/"entrepreneurs"/well, damn everybody but Bennie and Elita, were stick figures.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to rebut or fight anybody. I know I'm in the minority around here, but at least, that skims the tip of the iceberg.

Can i ask Mark if you have affinity for New Hollywood Films? Since i've became more aware of your rating system and certain film movements i've noticed that New Hollywood films do really well with you, i know "Classic Hollywood" is your favourite era but i honestly think New Hollywood would average out roughly the same it's just you have more favourites from the earlier years. I'm probably wrong and i'm just taking notice of the wrong things.

The King of Marvin Gardens was what sparked this for the record and it's because my dad (who is around your age, he's actually older than you) mentioned that to me a few months ago then whenever i ask which movies he likes it's always from the 60's-late 70's. I don't think there's any movement but i think Late 90's-Early 2010's films are ones that really stick with me and i imagine always will like my dad. I'm interested in that sort of thing from someone as into movies as myself as my dad really doesn't care about them so i'm not sure how New Hollywood impacted on people seriously interested in movies like yourself.

Well yes, my favorite movies seem to come from the "New Hollywood" movement but as I usually say, I grew up during that movement and I was going to the theatre almost daily, even while going to college full-time taking classes in other film movements at the same time. But I saw practically every Hollywood movie, let alone "New Hollywood" one, at the theatre [sometimes multiple times] during their first run. So I've had a long time to have any of my thoughts evolve about a lot of movies.

His Secret Past (Randy Carter, 2016)
+
Bright Nights (Thomas Arslan, 2017)

A Lover Betrayed (Jeff Hare, 2017)

Johnny Belinda (Jean Negulesco, 1948)

Ted McCord’s expressionistic cinematography often rivals that of Stanley Cortez found in the later Night of the Hunter in this tale of deaf mute Jane Wyman [Best Actress Oscar] coming into her own.
Chronicle of the Years of Fire (Mohammed Lakhdar-Hamina, 1975)
[Cannes Palme d'Or winner]
Two Cents Worth of Hope (Renato Castellani, 1952)
Klute (Alan J. Pakula, 1971)
- [Jane Fonda Best Actress Oscar]
Dead Man Walking (Tim Robbins, 1995)

Probably the lightest scene between the two characters - nun Helen Prejean (Best Actress Susan Sarandon) meets and lateragrees to become the spiritual counselor of convicted killer Matthew Poncelet (Oscar-nominated Sean Penn) serving on death row.
Blondie’s Anniversary (Abby Berlin, 1947)
-
The Story of Louis Pasteur (William Dieterle, 1936)
[Paul Muni Best Actor Oscar]
So You Think You’re Not Guilty (Richard Bare)

Women in Love (Ken Russell, 1971)

The most famous scene in the movie, among many, is the homoerotic nude wrestling between Oliver Reed and Alan Bates, even though it was Glenda Jackson who won a Best Actress Oscar.
The Long Absence (Henri Colpi, 1961)
Chavela (Catherine Gund & Daresha Kyi, 2017)

A Deadly Affair (David Bush, 2017)

Harry and Tonto (Paul Mazursky, 1976)

Harry (Oscar Best Actor Art Carney) and his beloved cat Tonto share some loving memories on the road, here at Monument Valley.
Til Death Do Us Part (Farhad Mann, 2014)

In Search of Fellini (Taron Lexton, 2017)

Dangerous Intuition (Roger Christian, 2013)

There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)

Fake religious “prophet” Paul Dano gets his comeuppance from twisted oilman Daniel Plainview (Oscar-winner Daniel Day-Lewis).

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It's no big deal, but Harry and Tonto was 1974.... Skipped Network, eh? Nice line-up TCM had last night - I thought of checking out Cat Ballou after a few recommendations.

I wasn't crazy about Alfredo Garcia when I watched it about 3 years ago. Then I heard nothing but great things about it so I have been planning on watching it again. I'm still going to give it another try but maybe I was right the first time.

I like it more than when I first saw it [I've seen it at least five times now], but I still have so many problems with it. Anecdote - I had a friend in high school named Alfredo Garcia.