What is it about the internet...

Tools    

...why is it spending 30 minutes on the internet makes you angry, or me anyway?

I think I need to stop reading all of this political crap and responding to it - it's like fighting with imaginary enemies.

Yeah, it's like fighting with imaginary demons.

This political propaganda is just making us paranoid, to the point that we see signs of a "conspiracy" in every word, picture or comment someone makes - I thought I was above that but I see how the system is screwing with our heads.

There has to be a way to "de program" from this - sad thing is that there's pretty much no news outlet you can turn to without it constantly being shoved in your face. Other than just completely opt out of politics.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
It's mainly because at the core, you are fundamentally wrong in all your opinions.

Just kidding, any idiot can type something like that, but it really means nothing.

You can expose yourself to very different opinions in a very short period of time, sans the kind of softening effect that face-to-face interaction has both in the expressing and reception of those opinions.

And yes, increasingly the right move is to withdraw from them. This is one of the few places I routinely bother to argue most issues, in part because I run it and can't just ignore such discussions, but also because it's one of the rare places where being thoughtful will (usually) be well-received and replied to in kind.

My threshold for what's worth taking the time to reply to in detail has definitely risen over the last couple of years.

Ace, what Yoda said was spot on. I will only add that when two people with diametrically opposed viewpoints cross paths on the internet, neither stands much chance of changing the others mind.

So don't try to change anyone's mind. Instead try to learn why the other person thinks as they do. To me that's the most interesting thing about the internet...with a stroke of a keypad we can literally connect our thoughts to another persons mind. The sad part is that a meeting of minds and thoughts rarely happens, usually bravado, posturing and small talk prevails.

I can tell that you're an intelligent person with an inquisitive mind. So think about what I said and perhaps you will find internet discussions more rewarding.

You can expose yourself to very different opinions in a very short period of time, sans the kind of softening effect that face-to-face interaction has both in the expressing and reception of those opinions.

And yes, increasingly the right move is to withdraw from them. This is one of the few places I routinely bother to argue most issues, in part because I run it and can't just ignore such discussions, but also because it's one of the rare places where being thoughtful will (usually) be well-received and replied to in kind.

My threshold for what's worth taking the time to reply to in detail has definitely risen over the last couple of years.
I commend this site for the moderators actually taking part in these types of discussion rather than just randomly sanctioning people without examining context.

On eBay, I've already been banned for life for saying some of the same things I've said on this site - not because I broke any rules (like cursing, disclosing people's personal info, making threats, etc.) but because someone in their moderation team didn't like my opinion, and, instead of being objective in their enforcement of rules, they ban people permanently if they don't tow the same PC line that those moderators wish to see pursued.

Cheers for free speech and debate!

certainly doesn't make me angry but perhaps I am shielded by my strong critical thinking skills and college education. Also I realize how lost most people are and that it's not worth my time to suffer fools