Video game addiction

Tools    

Anyone ever been addicted to video gaming. Right now I'm going 90 days straight without touching a video game.

I'm not a super-avid gamer, as in one who keeps up with all the latest games but when I get into a video game it's like crack to me, and almost impossible to put it down until I've finished it (usually though once I've finished a game, I won't have an urge to play games again until I start on a new one - it's out of sight, out of mine for me) some studies show games release a dopamine response similar to nicotine and other stimulants as well.

I've gone about a week straight without gaming or thinking about a game and I feel way more relaxed and productive. And I don't have any plans to play again unless I can find a way to moderate it healthily.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Mate, don't take this wrong, but I find this irritating and laughable... Lately people are making up problems they don't really have, like girls crying how her hair is not good. Every sane human being should be able to say "now I do this, now I do that", comparing this to drugs is insulting to drug addicts. I'm gamer all my life, but I still enjoy spending time with people more. Maybe its just different society I grew up in... When I saw part about nicotine and video games I laughed, but its sad really. Are you seriously saying you couldn't stop playing? Ofc you can't stop until you finish (insert sex joke), that is good thing and normal thing in life. What is your usual game-time on daily basis? Are you seriously counting days? You have a calendar? Sometimes I feel like people create and imagine problems out of thin air....

Mate, don't take this wrong, but I find this irritating and laughable... Lately people are making up problems they don't really have, like girls crying how her hair is not good. Every sane human being should be able to say "now I do this, now I do that", comparing this to drugs is insulting to drug addicts.
It really isn't - the science shows similar effects on the brain as stimulants, and game addiction is considered in the same tier as compulsive gambling:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/27/vid...gh-on-cocaine/

http://www.addictionrecov.org/Addictions/?AID=45

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/08/15/k...me-261483.html

I'm gamer all my life, but I still enjoy spending time with people more. Maybe its just different society I grew up in... When I saw part about nicotine and video games I laughed, but its sad really. Are you seriously saying you couldn't stop playing? Ofc you can't stop until you finish (insert sex joke), that is good thing and normal thing in life.
Nope, there were a couple times where I risked being late for work, or neglected important things in life just because I couldn't put the game down - that's definitely a sign of addiction, and isn't the case with other things - for example as much as I love movies, I've never seriously been tempted to purposely go in late to work just to see the ending of a film.

Not everyone's the same - just like with any other recreational substance, some people can drink socially and be perfectly in moderation, but other people can't just stop after 1,2, or 10 drinks.

What is your usual game-time on daily basis? Are you seriously counting days? You have a calendar? Sometimes I feel like people create and imagine problems out of thin air....
You're being way too defensive. You might not personally have a problem with gaming, or drinking, or gambling - but that doesn't mean that no one else does, and lots of people would definitely testify that they do.

All I can say is that it's on par with or greater than smoking for me; when I'd play games that's one of the few times I'd literally not have an urge to light one up.

White people problems. Moderation is key though, can't argue with that.

White people problems. Moderation is key though, can't argue with that.

They had a Law & Order SVU episode that had this topic in it. Those freaks were messed up. They neglected the hell out of their child, and from the looks of it, themselves. It is a problem in real life. I've seen a lot on it. Just like how some people won't leave their computers, or several other things. Movies have been my only addiction, but I've never gone too far with it. I just freaked out once, back in 91, when my VCR broke, and I had to wait until Friday to buy another. "What am I suppose to do!?!"

Wait, there is one other addiction I have had. I still do!

Re Khan: Have you been in the shoutbox today?

A video game addict would kind of be considered as one of those people who actually purchase a 4TB or whatever. because their hard drive gets full. And/or they say they must download more and more games to play.

One thing I don't understand is, who the hell can even collect and even play 4TB worth of games? I have the 500 GB X-Box One and am satisfied with that. I don't even play more than 2 games at once. And have one game in the wings in case I want to play one other if I want to take a break from one the other. I do things besides play games. Maybe that's why.

I even seen people comment on X-Box/PS4 forums and such that they have like 5 TB or even two 4 TB external drives. I'm like what the hell people? lol

I've come from nowhere, and I'm not shy to go back
I've been playing video games since i was like 10 maybe, when i first purchased Playstation 2. Since then i became addicted. then it caused some eye problems and plus as i grew up i realized that i had to play less video games and go out more. so right now i still freakin love video games and i do enjoy playing new released ones on my console but i know how much time i should spent now on it.

yeah i agree its very addictive, like gambling and smoking but it's not a thing i can't control nowadays. you must realize that there are other things to do in your life rather then playing them whole day long. you must make sure it doesn't affect your health and lifestyle. hanging out with friends, playing games and having fun with them is awesome but going outdoors must be a part of your life too.

Look, I'm not trying to insult you, it may help you in the end of the day

For example, there was a guy I read about, he had around 90.000 comics (no, I didn't putt one zero too much), if he didn't collect comics, he would collect something else, so its not comics, its him. I just don't see how you can compare this to drug addiction, to me its just people wanting to have problems or imagine them in their heads... Same goes for people who are locked up in their room 24/7 playing WoW, if they didn't play games ,they would be doing something else in the same manner. When you do drugs, you are addicted, you can't go day without them, when you are late for the job, you enjoy a game... Spending time on something you enjoy =/= addiction, but then again, I don't know you personally, I just find it laughable, that's all.

No, why? Am I missing something?
Yes you did. Talk about the weirdest timing. You made your initial post, and the comparison on it being vein, I suppose you can say, was a woman complaining about her hair. Problem was, I made a shout complaining about mine, just 2-3 hours before hand. Actually, problem was, my shout was about my poor health, and how a perm, my health, and my meds made my hair break off all over my head. I had hair from one inch, to maybe four inches. I dunno, but it was a mess. I read your post, and thought, "Well damn!"

Lately people are making up problems they don't really have, like girls crying how her hair is not good.
Weird timing, man!

Yes you did. Talk about the weirdest timing. You made your initial post, and the comparison on it being vein, I suppose you can say, was a woman complaining about her hair. Problem was, I made a shout complaining about mine, just 2-3 hours before hand. Actually, problem was, my shout was about my poor health, and how a perm, my health, and my meds made my hair break off all over my head. I had hair from one inch, to maybe four inches. I dunno, but it was a mess. I read your post, and thought, "Well damn!"

Weird timing, man!
Yea but health and "girly" crying about about little stuff are two different things, I hope you get better.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm not addicted to games. I'm only addicted to playing with... Nevermind.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Yea but health and "girly" crying about about little stuff are two different things, I hope you get better.
Aw, thanks sweetie! Yep, very different. I was thinking, "Maybe he just read over it too fast."
You never know!

Mate, don't take this wrong, but I find this irritating and laughable... Lately people are making up problems they don't really have, like girls crying how her hair is not good. Every sane human being should be able to say "now I do this, now I do that", comparing this to drugs is insulting to drug addicts. I'm gamer all my life, but I still enjoy spending time with people more. Maybe its just different society I grew up in... When I saw part about nicotine and video games I laughed, but its sad really. Are you seriously saying you couldn't stop playing? Ofc you can't stop until you finish (insert sex joke), that is good thing and normal thing in life. What is your usual game-time on daily basis? Are you seriously counting days? You have a calendar? Sometimes I feel like people create and imagine problems out of thin air....
I disagree, it's possible for people to get addicted to many things to the point where it's unhealthy. Drugs, gambling, drinking, video games, fast food, collecting things, you name it. Being addicted to anything too much can be very troubling, no matter what it is. Drug addiction is just the one we hear most about.

I do think video games have a more negative affect on people than other entertainment media. Most people on this site can go a month without watching a movie, while there's a lot of younger gamers who probably could not go a night. I'm with Khan where if someone tells me they can't stop playing video games I'd roll my eyes at them because I'd think it's pathetic that they mentally can't get past taking a break from a virtual world, but it exists.

Master of My Domain
I don't play videogames because mommy says they can turn me into a violent sociopath.

I don't play videogames because mommy says they can turn me into a violent sociopath.
Nonsense.