Acting vs real life

Tools    

What are your opinions on how acting on films and TV differs from real life interactions.

There as just some general observations I've noticed:

*People don't interrupt each other
*People are wittier and able to come up with eloquent responses quicker
*Boring parts of real life conversations are filtered out - conversations stick to more interesting topics, or topics relevant to the plot
*People maintain their composure under pressure better
*People have better speaking voices

I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.
In movies and television, people just hang up their phones without saying goodbye once they get all the information they need and it's perceived as perfectly normal. That's one thing I noticed that differs from real life interaction.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
That moment when you realize an actor is more genuine than you in real life.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Master of My Domain
In irl:

- You don't get interrupted by a laugh track every time you talk.
- Your punches don't sound like someone hitting a watermelon with a thick slab of wood.
- Car isn't allergic to big, bad masked villains holding weapons

Guy goes on spiel and tells other guy what's going on.
Second guy: "Wait a minute, what? Give it to me in english, dammit!"

Also, referring to other people by their first name all of the time.

I think in real life, people normally don't make long silent pauses after something dramatic is said.

If only people were as articulate and spoke as clearly as they do in most shows! And characters get to the point much faster and tend to stay on subject a lot more than people typically do, in life. Listening to someone continue to talk as they collect their thoughts can be trying ... and test one's patience.

It always bugs me during any show or film (and I give credit to the ones that don't do this) when someone says they'll meet the other person without establishing the specifics; time, place, etc. Seems like a small thing, but after I noticed it the first time I realized it happens constantly. Even more often, one side says goodbye and hangs up without the other side saying it.

More specific thing I've caught myself looking for: phones that you can tell are just on the home screen when people are ostensibly talking to them. Especially newer ones, which virtually all have face detection, meaning if you see a big glowing area on their face, it's not really a call.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I think drama is life with the boring parts taken out. Most of us do boring small talk in order to be pleasant, but it probably wouldn't play in a movie unless it had a purpose, either to further plot, or to reveal character.

One observation: In movies & TV shows, window screens don't exist.
It's a tiny detail, but I've noticed it hundreds of times. Entering or exiting a scene via a window is a classic element, but window screens pose a major hindrance to that. Therefore they rarely exist in TV or movies. It's kind of funny since almost everyone has screens on their windows to keep the bugs out.

Two: People in bars, clubs, discos, or on a dance floor can have completely audible conversations. Somehow, as soon as characters begin to dialogue in these environments, the crowd noise and music magically goes down in volume so they can hear each other and the audience can hear them. In real life, people have to scream, use sign language and attempt to lip read in these venues, and even then, the person they're trying to communicate with usually just nods, not catching even half of what was said.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
A woman has to tell her husband about something important, but he has something else to say that's so exciting that totally undermines what she was about to say... After he reveals his story, he asks, "What did you want to tell me, honey?"

"Oh nothing.."

In movies and television, people just hang up their phones without saying goodbye once they get all the information they need and it's perceived as perfectly normal. That's one thing I noticed that differs from real life interaction.
On a similar note, TV characters, particularly on daytime drama, love to call people on the phone, tell them they have something to discuss but they can't discuss it over the phone.

This topic reminds me of a similar discussion regarding comics - at the end of a lot of comic book issues, (usually as part of a cliffhanger) a shadowy figure would enter a room, suddenly appear in a doorway or in some way be revealed, and a character would spin around with eyes wide and exclaim "YOU!" (and "YOU" would usually be followed by exclamation points or question marks or both).

The funny thing is no one ever says this in real life.
Have you ever turned to see someone you recognize and say, "YOU!!!" to them?
Or encountered someone you weren't expecting or even been startled by someone and say "YOU???!!!"

The funny thing is no one ever says this in real life.
Have you ever turned to see someone you recognize and say, "YOU!!!" to them?
Or encountered someone you weren't expecting or even been startled by someone and say "YOU???!!!"
I would think people might say "You?!" when they feel they are being betrayed by somebody they didn't expect.

When people meet a person they don't like they might say "Him!" of "That guy!"

I think in real life, people normally don't make long silent pauses after something dramatic is said.
Depends on the situation. If someone is so taken aback by what is going on/ has happened they might take a long silent pause in awe or grief, to respond due to kind of news.

What are your opinions on how acting on films and TV differs from real life interactions.

There as just some general observations I've noticed:

*People don't interrupt each other
*People are wittier and able to come up with eloquent responses quicker
*Boring parts of real life conversations are filtered out - conversations stick to more interesting topics, or topics relevant to the plot
*People maintain their composure under pressure better
*People have better speaking voices
Very important, this – you rarely see any facial blemishes.

I suppose one common factor in acting and reality is that everybody acts in real life to a greater or lesser degree. Another obvious discrepancy is that in the real world people make slips and fumble their words. When you see that on screen it sometimes makes for a better and more believable character – there are even examples of fluffs due to the other actor listening to his partner and making a mistake because they have.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
You never hear "I forgot what I was going to say" - or a speech screw up, or an actor walking and being a tiny bit clumsy. I know time is a factor, but 2 seconds of reality can't hurt.