Best version of the Bible?

Tools    

What's the best or most accurate version of the Bible?

I've been reading the KJV lately - from what I've heard it's one of the most literal translations, I also like the Middle English a lot better than the contemporary English translations. But I've heard it was actually translated from Latin (which was in turn translated from the original languages), so that gives me doubts about how accurate it is.

I'm aware some fundamental Protestants insist on the KJV only - I'm not totally sure of the reasons but I'm aware that in Romans, it mentions concepts such as "pre-destination" and "the elect" (I'm aware the Calvinist Christians consider those important, and I'm assuming they're re-translated in other versions).

So anyone have an opinion on the KJV, or what the most accurate translation is?

Also, any tips on making it interesting - I might be going to hell for saying so but the Bible's one of the most boring books to read, and I struggle to make it through a single book. (I enjoy reading it since it has huge cultural significance but it pains me to get through it).

Only books I find interesting enough are Genesis and Revelation, since they have some interesting tales, but nothing on par with stories such as those in The Odyssey or Greek mythology.

I've read KJ and find it's like reading double Dutch... thou art thee thy though thou.

Amplified Bible is the easiest to read and understand. It's a literal translation, and has on each page a key with every single meaning of the original texts.

For instance:

Leviticus 11:1-2
And the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, say to the Israelites, these are the animals g which you may eat among all the beasts that are on the Earth [Mark 7:15-19.]

See the little g between "animals" and "which"?
At the bottom of the page I copied this from is that letter g and next to it, explaining in high detail, every possible meaning behind what this phrase means. The law of it, the literal meaning of it, and also the parenthesis and synonym of the phrase in question.

--

The KJV just says: And the Lord spake unto Moses and Aaron, saying unto them, speak unto the children of Israel, saying these are the beast which ye shall eat among the beasts that are on the earth.

And that's it. Ye spake thou though ye art thou thee.

The best version would be it not existing haha
I think the best version would be if people had taken a cue from Thomas Jefferson 200 years ago and accepted that nothing in the Bible was a literal event or revelation, just an attempt by ancient tribal cultures to govern themselves and explain the reason for their existence.

The best version would be it not existing haha

The Bible has some great advice, and saw me though rough times... as did the Quran and the Torah.

You shouldn't be so quick to discredit them. Though I believe in God, I don't class myself under any religion, but they all have some good advice and words of wisdom when all else seems hopeless.

They do all have elements of crap about them though.
The the Bible saying the World is only 4000 years old, or the Quran saying 8 year olds should be impregnated for instance.

You should focus on what they can give you in terms of hope and morality, rather than the negative stuff and outdated "sciences". Which I think too many people focus on.

Definately the King James bible has the most beautiful language, I think so anyway.

Does this link work for you? It's a BBC Radio 4 programme about the history of the King James bible and is really interesting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x3qy7

There's also a good BBC tv programme called The Most Dangerous Man in Tudor England which is an account of the life of William Tyndale who was the first person to translate directly from the Greek and Hebrew texts into English. A lot of his turn of phrase went on into the King James version in a Middle Ages cut and paste manner.

If you want a good view of God... this is just the tip of the iceberg of what I studied from 2007 to 2011.

The Bible, Quran, Torah, Buddhist Texts, Guru Granth Sahib and even the Book Of Mormon.
The Book Of Mormon is total crap though.

Hermeticism
Prisca Theologia
Perennial Philosophy
Esotericism
Nous
The All
Divination
Neoplatonism
Platonism and platonism (small p)
Unmoved Mover
Palaeontology
Palaeoecology
Evolution
Physics
Pantheism
Panentheism

I even studied the beliefs of Rosicrucianism.

The Bible has some great advice, and saw me though rough times... as did the Quran and the Torah.

You shouldn't be so quick to discredit them. Though I believe in God, I don't class myself under any religion, but they all have some good advice and words of wisdom when all else seems hopeless.

They are all full of sh*t too. The crap about the Bible saying the World is only 4000 years old, or the Quran saying 8 year olds should be impregnated.
Focus on what they can give you, rather than the negative. Which I think too many people focus on.

Yeah, as I said it can be studied as a book like any other. What I find ridiculous is when people read the people and see truth because it is the bible. There might be truth in it, but there needs to be evidence like any other possible truth to prove it.

If you want to argue about religion, you can reply to one of the many existing threads on the topic, or start a new one. But not every thread that touches on the topic requires that everybody register (or repeat) their opinions about all aspects of it.

If you want a good view of God... this is just the tip of the iceberg of what I studied from 2007 to 2011.

The Bible, Quran, Torah, Buddhist Texts, Guru Granth Sahib and even the Book Of Mormon.
The Book Of Mormon is total crap though.

Hermeticism
Prisca Theologia
Perennial Philosophy
Esotericism
Nous
The All
Divination
Neoplatonism
Platonism and platonism (small p)
Unmoved Mover
Palaeontology
Palaeoecology
Evolution
Physics
Pantheism
Panentheism

I even studied the beliefs of Rosicrucianism.
What, no Scientology?

If you want to argue about religion, you can reply to one of the many existing threads on the topic, or start a new one. But not every thread that touches on the topic requires that everybody register (or repeat) their opinions about all aspects of it.

Not arguing. I was just putting forward what I've studied over the years in terms of all religion... and that the Amplified Bible is the easiest to read.

The one I have(and what Christine also mentioned), the King James bible.

It's the only one people always recommended before I finally bought one.

Most of my experience is with NIV, KJV and ESV. I have some experience with Message and RSV. Don't go with Message, it's bad.

If you are honestly giving it a read, I'd recommend NIV. It strikes a good balance between readability and keeping the character of the flavorful (if archaic) language.