Best superhero movie other than the Dark Knight trilogy

Tools    

What is your pick? To me there really aren't any I've seen that compare to the Dark Knight, or really stand out in any way.

Super
Kick Ass 1 & 2
I've been meaning to watch a Kick Ass film but haven't gotten around to it.

Never heard of Super before, I'll look it up thanks.

I don't get why "other than the Dark Knight trilogy" was tacked on the end, but anyway...

I second Super. In my opinion it's much better than Kick Ass.

I don't get why "other than the Dark Knight trilogy" was tacked on the end, but anyway...

I second Super. In my opinion it's much better than Kick Ass.
Just because I hear the Dark Knight regularly quoted as the best superhero film of all time, so I wanted to hear others opinions on other films that were better than the average.

Burton's Batman films, forget the other two from that series though.

Superman 1 & 2.

I love the X-Men films though.

Batman Begins is an amazing film, so it's a very high bar to set.
I did really love the first Iron Man, though since then it's gone rapidly downhill for me.

Watchmen is the ultimate superhero film. Although it's executed far from its typical style of genre... Funny, I once hated the film but rewatched it in Director's Cut a few years later. Now I see it as a masterpiece but one tha require patience and multiple viewings. Such an ambitious movie, can't believe it works as great as it does.

Watchmen is the ultimate superhero film. Although it's executed far from its typical style of genre... Funny, I once hated the film but rewatched it in Director's Cut a few years later. Now I see it as a masterpiece but one tha require patience and multiple viewings. Such an ambitious movie, can't believe it works as great as it does.
Saw it the original one, didn't care for it - thought it was too melodramatic and hard to follow - what does the Director's Cut change that makes it so much better to you?

Lord High Filmquisitor
After Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, it's go Marvel or go home. The Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Soldier are both 10/10 for me.

Just because I hear the Dark Knight regularly quoted as the best superhero film of all time, so I wanted to hear others opinions on other films that were better than the average.
Yeah I know, I was just being a bit of a douche, sorry. I just generally get a bit irritable whenever anyone puts forward a stereotypical Hollywood blockbuster as a contender for greatest film of any category. I just don't think they can qualify unless special effects and epic one-liners are the only criteria. Though other aspects of the movies are well done, they just aren't masterfully done.

I think Super has strong acting overall, excellent cinematography, fantastic realism (which requires a lot of research and attention to detail), pulls off multiple genres (comedy/drama/action), and actually has some pretty potent meaningful content.

For one thing I like it a lot, and I mean A LOT, when a violent movie, that puts it's main characters (which it's invested so much time in) into high risk situations, actually does allow them to die in a way that doesn't further the plot. When people die in real life it never furthers things, it just makes a big hole in everyone's life. And that's what should happen when someone dies. It should be meaningful, it should affect the audience, they should love that character and now be sad that they're gone. It should feel like the plot now has a hole, not a bridge.

In honesty though I think the thing that holds the Dark Knight back the most is it's lack of nudity.

In honesty though I think the thing that holds the Dark Knight back the most is it's lack of nudity.
Plus the lack of Batman nipples.

Batman & Robin was the best Batman movie for sure.

It's got the closest thing to nudity in a Batman movie.

I mean hey, why do you think Blue Is the Warmest Color got all those awards huh? The criteria should be 1. Nudity (or "sex appeal"), 2. Epic One-liners, and 3. Special Effects.

I mean hey, why do you think Blue Is the Warmest Color got all those awards huh? The criteria should be 1. Nudity (or "sex appeal"), 2. Epic One-liners, and 3. Special Effects.
Yeah but unless she decides to be in one, no superhero movie has the luxury of having Adele Exarchopoulos nude, so there's no point in comparing Blue is the Warmest Color to superhero movies. It's just unfair, really.

Okay, I've come to this conclusion. Movies based on graphic novels are the next closest thing to superhero movies. Therefore it stands!

Yes, logic!