The Worst Production Design

Tools    

This thread is about movies that look bad or really cheesy.
-Sets
-Props
-Costumes
-Make Up

I was watching The 5th Element this morning and could not believe how bad the set dressing was. The apartment of Korban Dallas (Bruce) is filled with plastic junk.

The space guns are ridiculous.

The costumes are horrible – like way horrible.

Dan Weil was the mastermind on production design for 5th Element. His other works include King Arthur (which totally misses the entire point of the Arthur legend) and was a limp attempt to replicate a period look. He achieved a Disney quality on King Arthur. But then, wasn’t Disney involved on that project?

He also did the design on Blood Diamond. Whatever that was. Was a designer needed on that movie?

Apparently the man likes to do musicals with French titles. Hmmmmm. That might explain some of his color schemes. Horrible. Another example of someone who would not work in the business if he didn’t have friends giving him a job. Most teenage girls would give you the same stuff this guy comes up with.

I look at the fuzzy dice and pink plastic crap hanging from the rear view mirror of Bruce’s taxi and I wonder if maybe they were trying to achieve the ultimate anti-Blade Runner. They got it.

Production Design is one of the most critical elements of a film.
There are many more monster designers out there destroying multi million dollar budgets.

Who else does a terrible job? Let's hear it!

A system of cells interlinked
You...do realize The Fifth Element is a satire, yes? Not supposed to be taken seriously? You know...pro wrestler president, etc.

Sorry, but you are so far off base on this one, you brought a hockey stick to the baseball game.

The production design on The Fifth Element is pretty close to perfect for the concept. His apartment was supposed to be ultra modular, cheap and plastic. That was the whole point...

I love The Fifth Element - Campy goodness! The music kicks ass, too...

I think the script is fine. This is a visual art thread.

I did not miss the point of this movie, but I think you missed mine.

It does not achieve a parody quality look. It simply looks poorly done. It does not look futuristic. It looks like bad 90’s fashion, which it is.

The materials used in Gary Oldman’s costume look like they were bought at Pic&Save and the execution on cut and design looks like something the Jr. College put together for a school project.

The weapons (as stated) are toy store bad. Cheap painted plastic.

The color sink between Bruce’s shirt and Milla’s hair borders on retarded (but that may be a directing issue).

The 5th Element is amazingly generic and completely lacks originality or imagination in design. That is my point about this movie (and why I sited other of Dan’s work) – generic and no imagination.

What’s with the stupid plastic bowls everyone wears on their heads? Even the plastic looks low budget.

The storyboarding for this film is, however, very good. Execution to the set was a ridiculous failure. Looks better on paper.

PS
I am never off base … but you may have a different opinion. That does happen.

Employee of the Month
The whole movie is designed by Jean-Paul Gartier, who is a famous designer. It is a very crazy future. "The fifth Element" is so far over the edge, that you may look like a fool by taking it too serious and judging it by the average norm. If you want to see the exact opposite of it, try "Renaissance 2054". I think the design of the world of "5th Element" is far from bad. It's just not your style. That`s a difference.

Uh … serious? Yes, I take wasting millions of dollars on ridiculously bad execution (design and craftsmanship) as serious.

This film is a joke because of it’s art design and will not have any shelf-life at all. That’s serious. It kills it as art and it kills it as entertainment.

There is a difference in recognizing variance in taste and the realization and capability to recognize and identify poor work. I am speaking of the craftsmanship, manufacturing and overall execution of bringing the sets, costumes and props to life. It is childlike skill level in this film.

Even the makeup sucks. The simple application of facial base is poorly done.

Wow, so far I am ignorant and a fool for thinking the 5th Element is a POS in terms of production design. I wonder if anyone has any opinions who can keep their personal insults to themselves?

I don't think you're a fool for thinking that the set design for The Fifth Element sucks. If you think that's the only reason that film sucks, then you're a fool.

Welcome to the human race...
Compared to virtually every movie that gets featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000, however...

Employee of the Month
Uh … serious? Yes, I take wasting millions of dollars on ridiculously bad execution (design and craftsmanship) as serious.

This film is a joke because of it’s art design and will not have any shelf-life at all. That’s serious. It kills it as art and it kills it as entertainment.

Good God, you really take this movie serious.

There is a difference in recognizing variance in taste and the realization and capability to recognize and identify poor work. I am speaking of the craftsmanship, manufacturing and overall execution of bringing the sets, costumes and props to life. It is childlike skill level in this film.

This "childlike skill level" is a mix of avantgarde and TOYS`R`US - and that is, cause the director wrote the story when he was about twelve years old. The set design of his other movies is mostly very straight and complettly different.

Even the makeup sucks. The simple application of facial base is poorly done.

Wow, so far I am ignorant and a fool for thinking the 5th Element is a POS in terms of production design. I wonder if anyone has any opinions who can keep their personal insults to themselves?

It wasn`t my intention to insult you in any way. You think the Space-Orcs and the beautiful blue alien-singer are examples of bad make-up? I have to disagree. Maybe you can post some pictures to show us what you mean with "bad".

Plan 9. wow.

Plan 9 is in a class of it's own. Take some pic nic tables, some old TV insides and a typewriter and you have the inside of a spaceship. hee hee. Ed Wood was a genius. In his own way. Now, that is avantgarde.

I just watched a movie called The Vanguard. No budget and no production design to speak of. It was another remake of the I Am Legend thing. I thought they did a better job than the Will Smith movie. Even with no budget. Dime Store Makeup. And blue jeans and t-shirts for costumes.

Happy New Year from Philly!

I just watched a movie called The Vanguard. No budget and no production design to speak of. It was another remake of the I Am Legend thing. I thought they did a better job than the Will Smith movie. Even with no budget. Dime Store Makeup. And blue jeans and t-shirts for costumes.
I'll be on the look out for that.

Jason and The Argonauts has pretty bad special effects- I know it was a long time ago but they look bad now.

There's a few films that I can tell were done on the cheap.

Compared to virtually every movie that gets featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000, however...
Compared to them, I declare The Fifth Element a wonder of set production.

Employee of the Month
Okay Moneky-Bone ,

you choose to ignore me, cause I don`t agree with you, which is very mature. But I really like The 5th Element, so I will show the world (or at least the users of the MovieForum) that you are wrong. Watch out!

Impressing scene when she sings a part of the opera „Lucia de Lammermoor“ by Gaetano Donizetti. Cheesy?

Space-Orcs-Mercenaries. How cool is that?

One of my favorite scenes...

That`s Milla J. diving in "bad production design"...

That`s a "Hello Kitty!"-Stormtrooper. It has nothing to do with the
5th Element, but maybe it`s also a example for "bad design".

Good one Loner.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Now wait a minute.... I loved Dogville... even though the set made me feel like a peeping Tom...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Happy New Year from Philly!
Dogville is a Dogme95 movie. Dogme95 flimmakers try to follow a set of rules called The Vow of Chastity in order to create more truthful and far less slick movies.

"I swear to submit to the following set of rules drawn up and confirmed by DOGME 95"
1. Shooting myst be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found)
2. The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs where the scene is being shot).
3. The camera must be hand-held. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted. (The film must not take place where the camera is standing; shooting must take place where the film takes place).
4. The film must be in color. Special lighting is not acceptable. (If there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).
5. Optical work and filters are forbidden.
6. The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)
7. Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now.)
8. Genre movies are not acceptable.
9. The film format must be Academy 35 mm.
10. The director must not be credited.

Furthermore I swear as a director to refrain from personal taste! I am no longer an artist. I swear to refrain from creating a "work," as I regard the instant as more important than the whole. My supreme goal is to force the truth out of my characters and setting. I swear to do so by all the means available and at the cost of any good taste and any aesthetic considerations.

Thus I make my VOW OF CHASTITY

Copenhagen, Monday 13 March 1995
This is the Dogme95 Manifesto which explains what Dogme95 is trying to achieve with its Vow of Chastity.

# Dogme 95 is a collective of film directors founded in Copenhagen in the Spring of 1995.
# Dogme 95 has the expressed goal of countering 'certain tendencies' in the cinema today.
# Dogme 95 is a rescue action!
# In 1960 enough was enough! The movie was dead and called for resurrection. The goal was correct but the means were not! The New Wave proved to be a ripple that washed ashore and turned to muck.Slogans of individualism and freedom created works for awhile, but no changes. The Wave was up for grabs, like the directors themselves. The Wave was never stronger than the men behind it. The anti-bourgeois cinema itself became bourgeois, because the foundations upon which its theories were based was the bourgeois perception of art. The auteur concept was bourgeois romanticism from the very start and thereby ... false!
# To Dogme 95 cinema is not individual!
# Today a technological storm is raging, the result of which will be the ultimate democratization of the cinema. For the first time anyone can make movies. But the more accessible the media comes, the more important the avant-garde. It is no accident that the phrase 'avant-garde' has military connotations. Discipline is the answer ... we must put our films into uniform, because the individual film will be decadent by definition!
# Dogme 95 counters the individual film by the principle of presenting an indisputable set of rules known as THE VOW OF CHASTITY.
# In 1960 enough was enough! The movie had been cosmeticized to death, they said: yet since then the use of cosmetics has exploded.
# The 'supreme' task of the decadent filmmaker is to fool the audience. Is that what we are so proud of? Is that what the '100 years' have brought us? Illusions via which emotions can be communicated? ... By the individual artists's free choice of trickery?
# Predictability (dramaturgy) has become the golden calf around which we dance. Having the characters' inner lives justify the plot is too complicated, and not 'high art.' As never before, the supreficial action and the superficial movie are receiving all the praise.
# The result is barren. An illusion of pathos and an illusion of love.
12. To Dogme 95 the movie is not illusion!
13. Today a technological storm is raging of which the result is the elevation of cosmetics to God. By using new technology anyone at any time can wash the last grains of truth away in the deadly embrace of sensation. The illusions are everything the movie can hid behind.
14. Dogme 95 counters the film of illusion by the presentation of an indisputable set of rules known as THE VOW OF CHASTITY

There are those who call me...Tim.
Some of the sets in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade looked pretty fake to me. The ones that spring to mind are Donovans apartment which looks like it's made of plastic, and the inside of the grail temple, particularly when the ground begins to open up and shake, which looks like it's made of styrofoam and plaster.

It's been a little while since I last saw it, but that's what came to mind every time I watched those scenes.