MoFo Fantasy Football 2008

Tools    

We talked about it during the offseason, and a lot of people expressed interest. I've played fantasy baseball for years, and I've found there are only two things that can make it genuinely interesting and fun: a) an actual entry fee, to ensure that people are at least somewhat invested in giving it their best, and/or b) playing with people you know outside of the league somehow.

I've never actually played fantasy football, but it seems like great fun. So, how about we make it official? If we can get enough people to sign up, let's a MoFo Fantasy Football league.

I would like to humbly suggest Yahoo! Fantasy Football. They've been doing it for awhile, seem to have a decent system in place, and they have a free option we can use. I'm open to suggestions, though, and will hold off on starting an actual league until we've heard everyone out on whether or not it's an acceptable venue.

First games are in about 2 months, so I'm admittedly putting this out there a little early, but I don't want us to slap things together and come up short at the last minute.

So, who's in?

UPDATE: Draft is tentatively set for Saturday, August 30th at 4:00 PM EDT.

EDIT: I'd like to keep track of the responses here, so we can get a feel for how it's shaping up:

ANOTHER EDIT: I'm noting which users have confirmed their involvement and created their team's on league page.

I CAN'T STOP EDITING: I've updated the list with team names.

The Owners (Teams)
  • Ridonkculous (The Sharks)
  • Yoda (11 Angry Men)
  • Sedai (The Replicants)
  • Mrs. Darcy (Darcy's Destroyers)
  • Slug (Slug's Bubblebutts)
  • TheUsualSuspect (The Face Huggers)
  • Powdered Water (PW's Odd Squad)
  • Piledriver (Beantown Champs)
  • BobbyB (Tupac Resurrection)
  • Swedish Chef (The Flying Mongooses)
  • TONGO (TONGO)
  • Adam (Boondock Skins)...friend of mine; not a member

I'd be interested. I can pick Dan Marino, right?

"Laces out!"
"Isotoners."
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

A system of cells interlinked
I am in for sure. I am already a Yahoo FF player, so I am familiar with the systems etc.

That said, it is up to the league manager to set the point system up and decide what team config to use (ie 3 wide outs and no swing slot, or 2 wides, 3 back, 1 swing etc). I have not done this.

I am half agony, half hope.
I'm in, and Slug is, too. We've yahoo-ed on our other forum, and have great fun watching our teams never really get off the ground and do anything of point value!

Two more MoFos for the list.

Johann von Goethe

A system of cells interlinked
My team was in the Super Bowl last year, but Favre got hurt that week and my QB slot made me lose!

My backup threw for like 315 yards and 4 TDs that day too....

OOPS

Awesome. That's five, six if you count Piledriver. Let us know what he says, Mike.

I've never played fantasy football, so for those of you that have: what's a reasonable number of teams? In fantasy baseball, I tend to prefer a relatively large number so that there's a degree of scarcity. I'd rather have people digging for players than everyone with a totally stacked lineup...so what's good? 12? 16?

You're a Genius all the time
Oh, I am down like a clown. And I think 16 teams is cool because that way, yeah, no teams are loaded with pro bowlers and everybody plays everybody once during the season. Assuming you're choosing to go with the "Head-to-Head" scoring route. Which is definitely the way to go, btw.

Yeah, I would lean towards more for the reasons I outlined above. Good point about playing everyone once, too.

I guess the number of people interested should probably dictate the number of teams, within reason. I mean, if we only have 12, then 12 it is. And if we have 16, I'd hate to turn people away.

Shall we say, minimum 12, maximum 16, first come first serve?

And yeah, was definitely thinking head-to-head would be best.

What's nice is, if you're not sure about who to pick, the computer can select players for you when it's your turn to choose.
There is a set day and time to pick your players.
I let the computer pick for me.
You also can make a priority list for the players.
Plus you get to pick a team that will be your defense for the season.
It's fun.

Lost in never never land
I'm down like a clown.

Basically I'll have 10-15 leagues I'm in anyways, so what is another, and like Yoda said, when you have some knowledge of who your up against, besides the team name for the league, it is sweet.

I have no real suggestions as to how the league should be run, I've done IDP before, but I prefer team defenses (but I can do either) and I've done basically any derivation of scoring (including some really odd ones I set up myself), but I generally like a pretty standard scoring, PPR or no PPR is fine me with (PPR for those of you who don't know means point per reception (this doesn't generally mean one whole point per reception, but instead some partial point, like a third or half)).
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

I'd love to give it a shot, I'm a complete noob though so I would most likely be terrible. I can't usually turn the channel fast enough when people start talking fantasy football on my sports station I always listen to. Not that anyone cares I just say that to illustrate that I have no real clue how to play. So, if someone is willing to show me the ropes I'd be more than happy to give it a try. I certainly watch enough of it... does that count for anything? Go ahead and add me and if I get to intimidated I can always jump ship and screw everything up. (I keed, I keed.)

And with that very, very tentative declaration (), we're up to 8 people. Great start, given that we're still almost two months away from the start of the season.

I figure we'll still need at least 4 more owners, though, for a decent league.

My friend Adam, who isn't a member here, says he's in. Assuming Piledriver's in, that gives us 10. Whaddya say guys; 2 more and we're good, yes? Maybe one or two guys who are interested, too, just in case someone drops out at the last minute...

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I'll do it, but how do you play?