What's more important?...

Tools    

I was just thinking about the movie, Bubble. I remember watching it and thinking, "Meh', this is alright." But now that I think about it I think, "Yeah, that was pretty good." So, my question is, what's more important? The actual viewing of the movie or the after though it gives you?

I like dumbass movies because they're flashy and have bass that shakes my bum around. Examples: Demolition Man, Desperado, Pearl Harbor, Superman Returns, etc., etc.. I'm not saying I like all of those but they have a certain value that is worth something during the moment of viewing.

On the other hand there are movies that I struggle to sit through and don't really enjoy at that specific moment but later I think about them and like what they're about. Example: There was this experimental video about crows that was basically a montage of them flying around this nasty pond and they were getting jacked by bigger birds. It wasn't that cool or anything but I can think about it now and like it.

The obvious answer is that a good movie will do both of those things but if they don't is that alright? Is it fine for someone to pop in a DVD to burn some time like someone might snack on some gummy-bears or something?

I remember watching Little Monsters when I was little and had the memory that it was bad-A and that there were all these cool effects and that the characters were cool and everything else but then I watched it recently and it sucked. I was more than just a little dissapointed.

Please, expand on this for me. I'm interested in the way you MoFo's think.

- DaShiz
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Well both are important to me at different times. It all depends on my mood. Sometimes I just want to enjoy the movie for what it is during the viewing. I don't want to think about it afterward. THen other times I want one that leaves me in thoughts. So I think they are both important, but it's not neccessary to have them both in the same movie. It all depends on what mood I'm in...

Originally Posted by gummo
Well both are important to me at different times. It all depends on my mood. Sometimes I just want to enjoy the movie for what it is during the viewing. I don't want to think about it afterward. THen other times I want one that leaves me in thoughts. So I think they are both important, but it's not neccessary to have them both in the same movie. It all depends on what mood I'm in...
yeppers!

I have seen some bad movies that I have thoroughly enjoyed and I have seen some challenging films that I felt mixed about while sitting through them, but that have haunted me later on and caused me to revisit that place with mostly positive results.

Spider, Persona and She Hate Me were three examples of films I watched and was mildly impressed with but revisited and now love.
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know. I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." -David Cronenberg

I think its more important the effect the movie has on you in a longer term after the movie than when your watching it. Sometimes I feel like a movie can make me want to change certain aspects about myself if you find a character who makes a good role model and you would like to have certain aspects more like them.

But one thats fun and exciting at the time aint too bad either!

I am half agony, half hope.
Sometimes I want cinematic junk food to take my mind off of real life, say, Armageddon. I know what I'm getting, it won't compel deeper thinking, and that's okay. The enjoyment of the moment is enough.

There have been times when a film isn't that great, but it sure created dialogue between me and others after viewing it. The human dialogue has value, even if the film didn't necessarily, for example in Indecent Proposal, and The Blair Witch Project.

Then, there are films that you know you're going to have to take small bites of, and see over and over to get all the nuances there are, like Terrence Malick's Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line. The effects of these films and the thinking they require are great, but I don't believe it makes them better than the movies I watch for mindless fun.

One's not more important than the other.

Johann von Goethe

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You like what you like. I'd never feel ashamed of that, but that doesn't mean that you can't stretch yourself sometimes. Trust me; I never watch a movie out of some duty, and I've seen plenty of godawful movies which regularly make "Best Of" lists. I probably like mainstream movies better than most (especially classics), but I have less of a desire to rewatch them (especially more recent ones)unless I feel they are actually "good". I don't think it's because I'm a snob. I just have seen a lot of movies, and there are just too many movies out there to only focus on a few. I'm not telling you to stop your obsessions, but having an open mind is a pre-requisite to getting in touch with yourself. If it works for more "important pursuits", it should work for movies too.

Lost in never never land
If I want to watch a great film, then I want a film that makes me think afterwards and that won't leave my mind for a while. So, there are some cases where the thought is more important. But on the other hand, after a long day or work I might want to watch a film that is purely action/comedy and doesn't require the thinking aspect because I might be burnt out after the work day and a film that I have to think about will be more boring for me to watch then, and I won't get as much, or potentially anything, out of it.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

I was just thinking about the movie, Bubble. I remember watching it and thinking, "Meh', this is alright." But now that I think about it I think, "Yeah, that was pretty good." So, my question is, what's more important? The actual viewing of the movie or the after though it gives you?

I like dumbass movies because they're flashy and have bass that shakes my bum around. Examples: Demolition Man, Desperado, Pearl Harbor, Superman Returns, etc., etc.. I'm not saying I like all of those but they have a certain value that is worth something during the moment of viewing.

On the other hand there are movies that I struggle to sit through and don't really enjoy at that specific moment but later I think about them and like what they're about. Example: There was this experimental video about crows that was basically a montage of them flying around this nasty pond and they were getting jacked by bigger birds. It wasn't that cool or anything but I can think about it now and like it.

The obvious answer is that a good movie will do both of those things but if they don't is that alright? Is it fine for someone to pop in a DVD to burn some time like someone might snack on some gummy-bears or something?

I remember watching Little Monsters when I was little and had the memory that it was bad-A and that there were all these cool effects and that the characters were cool and everything else but then I watched it recently and it sucked. I was more than just a little dissapointed.

Please, expand on this for me. I'm interested in the way you MoFo's think.

- DaShiz
There are many movies that target specific audiences and that you may identify with depending on your age. Being in the moment is not just for the actor but for the viewer as well. Of course with time that can change. What to me is a truly great movie is the one that no matter when or how many times I watch it, I feel the same, i.e. it's greatness doesn't diminish with time.

I'm a little of everything I guess, mostly determined by my mood at the time. I enjoy a lot of movies for no particular reason at all, some of them will never make anyones lists, especially the bad ones that I collect.

Certifiably troglodytic.
What to me is a truly great movie is the one that no matter when or how many times I watch it, I feel the same, i.e. it's greatness doesn't diminish with time.
Right on....the greatness of a film deepens with the passage of time as well.

Well if your trying to tell me a movie that dosen't make you think about the characters and story is good : then i would say no.

Not every movie has to be thought provoking after the movie is over : many great films aren't

I think that the purpose of a piece of art is to cause a reaction by those who see it, hear it, etc. Good movies and novels can make you happy or sad, but true pieces of art are those that make you think about them, and those that make you want to talk about them. If you can discover all the secrets of a movie by seeing it only once, then why would you want to think about it or discuss it? What is its purpose, then? I do enjoy watching a lot of movies, but only those that stay in your mind for days after seeing them are successful in being true art, and those are the movies that don't say the message they want to send too loudly, but let you figure it out for yourself, that don't try to give you all the answers right away, but give you hints to work on.

I think that the purpose of a piece of art is to cause a reaction by those who see it, hear it, etc. Good movies and novels can make you happy or sad, but true pieces of art are those that make you think about them, and those that make you want to talk about them. If you can discover all the secrets of a movie by seeing it only once, then why would you want to think about it or discuss it? What is its purpose, then? I do enjoy watching a lot of movies, but only those that stay in your mind for days after seeing them are successful in being true art, and those are the movies that don't say the message they want to send too loudly, but let you figure it out for yourself, that don't try to give you all the answers right away, but give you hints to work on.
I pretty much agree. There's no reason I'd want to look at a painting of some chick on a swing with a title under it that said, "She's happy." I'd probably want to figure it out on my own. But still, sometimes there's those paintings or movies that completely suck and you wished you never had to look at them, but after you do they make you think. Its a catch-22, I think.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Nicely put.

I agree, with the caveat of course that one man's junkpile is another man's palace. I mean, it's possible that someone could find a life altering nugget of philosophy in Popeye the Sailor Man and if that's the case then it must be true art. It's all subjective is what I mean to say.

i think those 2 are important and works together in order to appreciate more a flick