Chick Flicks That suprised you

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Those are just bad movies. The vast majority of women are not insipid shallow little things, so if we are going to use the term "chick flick" it needs to reflect that. I don't like the "Friends with Benefits" type movies, nor do I know any women that do.

In Kill Bill and Death Proof both Tarantino created roles for women that allowed them to be tough, dangerous and extremely cool. Not a lot of roles have been written for women like that. Not in the way that he did. So, for that I am grateful to him and for every insipid movie that gets dismissed with "chick flick" I'm going to counter with, "my favorite chick flick is Death Proof."

Another thing that makes Death Proof an awesome chick flick is Zoe Bell. Tarantino taps into her coolness factor by letting her play herself; one heck of a stuntwoman.

That's not to say that films such as When Harry Met Sally... or Waterloo Bridge aren't chick flicks. It's just that, IMO, 'chick flick' is a pretty wide ranging group.

The vast majority of women are not insipid shallow little things, so if we are going to use the term "chick flick" it needs to reflect that. I don't like the "Friends with Benefits" type movies, nor do I know any women that do.
If women didn't like it,there wouldn't be ton of "Friends With Benefits" type of films released every year. This term "chick flick" wouldn't even exist.

Julie & Julia. Not a true chick flick. More like an old lady and chick flick!

That movie really serves up my apatite. And Meryl Streep portrayal of Julia Styles is just simply magnificent.

I was convinced that I would hate STEEL MAGNOLIAS, but it's one of my favorite movies now that I never tired of re-watching, with some of the most quotable dialogue of the last few decades. Sally Field and Olympia Dukakis are amazing.

If women didn't like it,there wouldn't be ton of "Friends With Benefits" type of films released every year. This term "chick flick" wouldn't even exist.
That's true. There's a big market for those types of films, but it still doesn't mean that the term chick flick couldn't mean something more than a big pile of insipid shallow crap.

When movies like Thelma and Louise, Steel Magnolias, Little Women and The Crucible are being included then I have no problem. It's when people narrow it down to only the crappy rom-coms that my cheese gets grated a bit.

T&L is about two tough girls and there is some romance in the film but then again,Kill Bill should also be a chick flick then.Or maybe QT is a chick flick director.
Ahhh but Thelma & Louise is not about two tough girls, because Thelma (Davis' character) starts out as a trapped, put-upon housewife lacking self esteem and confidence. She gradually begins to feel free and empowered as events unfold - in part thanks to Louise who initially unshackles her from Darryl, before dispatching a would-be rapist, and providing mental coaching for the rest of the film. Though I also think much of Thelma's new found confidence is related to the mental breakdown she's experiencing as the result of being a fugitive. Whilst she does emerge as a rebel I never see Thelma as mentally tough until her decision at the very end of the film. To me it's like Louise is this ultimate feminist angel who takes a disillusioned, bored housewife on an odyssey of awakening. Thelma only achieves enlightenment at the end of the film because she'd rather die than be enslaved by man again - at least that's one way of reading it.

I'm always surprised when women don't connect with the movie, or think it's not for them. To me it's one of the best chick flicks out there. Very even handed (we see the best and worst of both sexes) wonderfully nuanced, and full of privileged moments. But I'm a bloke so what the hell do I know.

*slowly raises head above window seal and waits for everyone in the room to make eye contact*

Me: ... surprising chick flicks?... the one I made with your moms...

*slowly lowers head below window seal*

*baffled peers run to widow*

You guys: He's gone...
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

That's true. There's a big market for those types of films, but it still doesn't mean that the term chick flick couldn't mean something more than a big pile of insipid shallow crap.
well,maybe but I tend to think that chick flick is a film for chicks.And chicks don't like violence,crime and loveless stories.

I'm always surprised when women don't connect with the movie, or think it's not for them. To me it's one of the best chick flicks out there. Very even handed (we see the best and worst of both sexes) wonderfully nuanced, and full of privileged moments. But I'm a bloke so what the hell do I know.
well.. when you put it that way. I did some research and yeah,T&L is considered to be a chick flick but today's chicks flicks are nothing like it.That's why it's hard to see T&L as a girl movie.

Death Proof is a chick flick, Kill Bill can easily be read as a chick flick, so "today's" chick flicks are like that. Sometimes a chick flick is The Hours, sometimes it's Gone With The Wind, sometimes it's Girlfight. Hell, sometimes it's Bull Durham or even Million Dollar Baby. They're all chick flicks, you just have to be clear about what you mean when you say "chick flick". Obviously when people say "Chick Flick" (or "women's pictures" as I believe they were called back in the Golden Age of Hollywood) they usually mean romantic comedies or teen comedies aimed at teenage girls. But that's not the be all and end of all it.

well,maybe but I tend to think that chick flick is a film for chicks.And chicks don't like violence,crime and loveless stories.
They don't?

On the outside looking in.
Those are just bad movies. The vast majority of women are not insipid shallow little things, so if we are going to use the term "chick flick" it needs to reflect that. I don't like the "Friends with Benefits" type movies, nor do I know any women that do.
FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS was a remake of NO STRINGS ATTACHED; I'd rather watch Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher than Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake any day.

Finished here. It's been fun.
is Annie Hall considered a chick flick cause that's a great romance/comedy type film. Titanic is fine for a chick flick although the film is so bloated and heavily,heavily overrated.