District 9

→ in
Tools    

In love with Distric 9
just another short-haired, skinny person who likes games and science fiction...amazing!
Haha! Exactly! But im also pretty good in school and very good with people, I may have you know .

In love with Distric 9
I was the only one actually laughing in the theater, besides my mom, and that’s why it seemed to make me feel weird.
Same here, except everyone else was also laughing. Not at every death, but some of the funny or 'accidental' ones . Like that gang leader in the wheelchair. THE MECH OOWWNNEEED THAT MOFO!!

lol how can you not laugh at some points. Sharlto Copley's actions towards some of the aliens were pretty hillarious here and there. especially the part with one of them walkin out in a bra.

W its Alien Nation meets Doctor Who.
More like Watermelon Man meets Enemy Mine.

That being said, I really liked it. The main character, possessed with an overabundance of naivete and a lack of common sense, is a perfect everyman; in no way a typical movie hero. I thought the bad guys were a bit two-dimensional, but they certainly gave you someone to root against.

I also loved the irony of having the whole thing take place in Johannesburg, SA. Now in addition to Soweto, they have District 9 as well.

Good movie.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
District 9

District 9 has been getting a lot of hype and praise to equal that hype. Not many films can do this. I decided that I would try my best to go into this film not knowing much about it. I've seen the teaser and a couple TV spots and knew the basic premise. What I did not know was what a balls to the walls this film is.

Neill Blomkamp has mixed great sci/fi with themes and issues plaguing our society. A blend that works so well in this film that it plays out in two different styles. The first half of the film is told through a documentary style footage, with people talking directly to the camera explaining the backstory of the mothership and basically setting up the rest of the film. Half way through the film Blomkamp switches the style to a more conventional style of filmmaking, yet it isn't a jarring switch. The two styles bleed into each other and both feel the same.

The film is set in South Africa, the aliens are sequestered into these slums and blocked off away from humans. This segregation is reminiscent of our own history and it works well here, making the film more believable than a film like Independence Day. While watching this film I got a sense of Cloverfield and some Slumdog Millionaire. I wouldn't say it's a mix of the two, but I just got the feeling from it. I saw Cloverfield because this is a sci/fi that we haven't seen before. It's not based on anything and the creators have free range to do what they want. This was apparent in all the awesome weaponry they had. Cloverfield was new, fresh and a monster that we had no idea what it could do. I had no idea what this film was about to do, which was blow me away.

The second half, which is the more conventional filmmaking style, is action-packed and bloody violent. I had no idea what I was in for, but once I saw that the lead got his hands on the weapon technology, I had a huge smile on my face. What he did with it, made me smile even more. There were plenty of "Holy Sh*t" moments on my end. The most fun I've had at the movies this year, even more than the other sci/fi entertainer Star Trek.

The film is gritty, dirty and everything that it needs to be to sell this idea. The special effects look marvelous, especially when placed on such a desolate and depressing backdrop. The slums are dirty and turn into a warzone. A warzone that goes on for a long time and you never get tired of. You end up wanting more, craving more.

For a film with no star names attached and a lead who hasn't acted in anything before, I was surprised in the depth and emotion that these characters had and what Sharlto Copley had to offer. He's between a rock and a hard place. His character transformation from beginning to end is real and saddening. It's not easy to get me to care for CGI creatures, George Lucas failed, Peter Jackson succeeds, again. The alien creatures look great and I was surprised at how well I was able to connect to the Christopher character.

The film is original, fresh and unexpected. I was never bored and had no idea what was going to happen next. In all this action and drama, is there any room for some sweet romantic moments? The answer is yes and it ends on a beautiful note.

Go see this one in theatres.

Suspect's Reviews

I really liked this movie. I thought it was very different than what most folks are used to, and showed us what humanity really becomes when we come across something that we don't understand and are afraid of. We also see what would happen as far as big corporation and government would do when presented with an opportunity for big profit.

Just got back from seeing this a couple hours ago.

Originally Posted by TheDOMINATOR

District 9
(Neill Blomkamp, 2009)

Only kind of wanting to see it in theaters initially, after reading outstanding reviews here (at MoFo) for District 9, I said “What the hell” and went to my local cinema. And while I feel District 9 didn’t quite live up to the hype, it still proved to be an enjoyable summer movie with some very cool concepts, themes, and sequences of action. Mostly I have two major gripes, one more of a personal complaint and one that I felt was an out-right flaw in the story (which I’ll go into later in the review), and it is these two problems, primarily, that hold District 9 back from being as good as it could have been, but nonetheless, it’s a good film, especially considering this was Neill Blomkamp’s directorial debut.

... [READ FULL REVIEW]

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Movie Forums Extra
cant wait to see it~sounds pretty great~

Alien Nation meets Laser Blast.

Not very original or fresh - but looks cool!

Not very original or fresh - but looks cool!
Really? That was one of the things that I particularly liked about it--that it is original.

I feel cheated and it's got me in the fightin' mood!

I haven't seen a movie in a full on theater in what feels like forever. Never again! Or at least not until I get suckered and jived! I hates me some suckin' and jivin'!
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Great reviews on District 9 Iro, Meat, Movie, TUS, & Dom (hope I didn't miss anyone)... thanks for sharing...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Saw this last night, I liked it. More thoughts to come later.

Though it really bothers me, the reasons that my father had for not liking it. "Weird, different, and disgusting"

I watched this movie a few days ago. It was an ok movie in my opinion. It wasn't as good as I expected... I guess because I didn't realize it was a documentary style movie. Either way, wasn't too bad of a movie, but not the greatest either.

Welcome to the human race...
Saw this last night, I liked it. More thoughts to come later.

Though it really bothers me, the reasons that my father had for not liking it. "Weird, different, and disgusting"
No kidding. Was he aware of what he was getting into, though?

District 9
Neil Blomkamp, 2009

Neil Blomkamp’s directorial debut, and for his first feature length film ever, he did a damn fine job. Now as you may have been able to guess from that first sentence, I didn’t think as highly of it as everyone else has seemed to think. Actually, I think the fact that it was so overhyped was a reason why I didn’t like it as much as most. I still thought it was pretty good, but definitely overrated.

I loved that it was totally original, though. Originally is becoming harder and harder to find in Hollywood now, and it’s good to see something fresh every once in a while. I think the fact that it so original is just a factor in why everyone seems to be praising it so much. Now I’m not saying that it’s the only reason why people seem to like it so much, but it is a big reason of it. I like that they chose not to do the entire film in ‘video camera format’. I usually don’t mind it, like in Cloverfield or Quarantine, but it was starting it bug me in the beginning. Blomkamp made a good decision to use it the regular style for the second half of the film.

I was hearing a lot of the special effects before seeing the film, with people saying how great they were. The effects were the only thing about the movie that was really great, to me at least. They were the one stand out thing in the movie. I think I have a problem, though, because I seemed to laugh every time someone got blown up. I was the only one actually laughing in the theater, besides my mom, and that’s why it seemed to make me feel weird.

Sharlto Copley’s acting was pretty damn good, too, especially for being his first acting role ever. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in some more upcoming films, as long as he keeps it up. Besides him, there’s really no other person that is really worth mentioning because most of the cast was unknown’s. It’s not that bad of a thing either, because I didn’t find anyone of the cast particularly bad. None of the characters, other than Wikus and Christopher, really had any screen time actually.

It’s not a bad film by any means, but it just isn’t as great as people have been making it out to be. There are still plenty of films from 2009 that I find much better than this one. Something else that I thought could’ve been improved was the soundtrack. It wasn’t technically bad, but it never really stood-out in any of the scenes. I liked the track that was playing during the credits, but that was only about it.

+
I like your review.