Do you think The Dark Knight wouldn't have been AS sucessfull if Ledger didn't die?

Tools    

Do you think The Dark Knight wouldn't have been AS sucsessfull if Ledger didn't die?
60.00%
15 votes
No - it still would of made the same amount of money
40.00%
10 votes
Yes - Heath's death made every one want to see it
25 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The King of Movies
Do you think The Dark Knight wouldn't have been AS sucessfull if Ledger didn't die?

I know the movie would of still been sucessfull, but i got a feeling that if it wasn't for Heath's death the movie wouldn't of made as much money and generated as good as reviews.

I think because of all the news coverage surronding his death, people didn't go to see The Dark Knight but they went to see Heath Ledger playing the Joker.

What do you think?

I think there's an element of truth to that, but it would've been absolutely huge no matter what. If it is the case, then I think we're only talking a few million dollars which, considering what it took, is next to nothing.

Just so long as he doesn't get the Oscar I'll be ok with it. Actually, I wouldn't give him a nomination. Let's be honest, if he hadn't died no one else would be either.

I voted no, i love the film and i really like Heaths portrayal of the joker

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I think the publicity about his death added interest, but his performance is why the film made so much money.

I went to see it the second time just to watch Heath again.

I want to see it again before it leaves the theatre strictly because I want to see Heath again.

Heath is why it made so much money. But I believe it is not because he died, but because he was so interesting.

And I hope he gets a Supporting Actor Oscar.

I think certainly there was a "the Crow" factor involved, but nth it would have broken records either way. I contribute maybe 50 million to Heaths Death. Which is a lot, but hey Paul Newman films are leaving the shelves here at Best Buy.

I know the movie would of still been sucessfull, but i got a feeling that if it wasn't for Heath's death the movie wouldn't of made as much money and generated as good as reviews.

I think because of all the news coverage surronding his death, people didn't go to see The Dark Knight but they went to see Heath Ledger playing the Joker.

What do you think?
Frankly, I don't think that it would've made the least bit of difference. I think that whether Heath Ledger were dead or alive, TDK would've made just as much money, gotten equally good reviews, and would've been just as successful overall. A celebrity is a celebrity, dead or alive, in my book.

I think Heath passing may have had a little to do with it but not the bulk.I saw it and it was really good Heath aside.It was full of action which is why I saw it not because it was Heath Ledgers last movie.I am a big Batman fan.I like pretty much all Superhero movies though.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I think it would still be a massive hit, it's just that goos of a movie and a role. The death portion did give it that extra though.

Suspect's Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'd say that Heath's death contributed about $100-200 million. I love the movie, and I'm not being cynical, but Batman Begins made $205 million at the U.S. box office, and this film makes over 150% more? Maybe I'm lowballing. I'm sure word-of-mouth would have helped, but look at these numbers for a second.

Batman Begins - 205 million
The Dark Knight - 525 million

Can you logically explain the difference in any other way?

I'd say that Heath's death contributed about $100-200 million. I love the movie, and I'm not being cynical, but Batman Begins made $205 million at the U.S. box office, and this film makes over 150% more? Maybe I'm lowballing. I'm sure word-of-mouth would have helped, but look at these numbers for a second.

Considering the fact that Batman Begins lifted its leg on every Batman movie that came before it, yeah. I'll explain.

Had Batman begins sucked complete ass, the sequel would have sucked. But, since Begins wasn't a ball of crusty vomit, people were willing to risk their nerd rep by saying to their nerd friends, "Dude, this movie is gonna' completely seduce my audio and visual receptors." And so, as the story goes, The Dark Kight killed it.

I don't make sense. That's fine.

The movie was good. People told other people, I saw Dark Knight and it's good. You should go see it. I'd see it again. You wanna go see it later on tonight. Yeah, I effin doo, so what's it to you?

If H.L. didn't die, you think it would have made less? H.L. would have been out there promoting the ish' out of it, talking about how he managed to act out such a wierd character. AND THAT WOULD MAKE ME WANT TO SEE IT.

Honestly, does it matter? Who cares if it brought in more money. I thought it was a good movie.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, considering that Tim Burton's and Michael Keaton's Batman made $251 million in 1989 dollars, it obviously was far more successful than Batman Begins. Whatever that means; I know it means something, maybe not concerning dogs lifting and all, but still something...

The King of Movies

thats so true

I think there's an element of truth to that, but it would've been absolutely huge no matter what. If it is the case, then I think we're only talking a few million dollars which, considering what it took, is next to nothing.

Just so long as he doesn't get the Oscar I'll be ok with it. Actually, I wouldn't give him a nomination. Let's be honest, if he hadn't died no one else would be either.

I agree with your first paragraph but not the 2nd.

His death definitely contributed a bit to the financial gain of the film. But yeah, it was probably only a few million more.
However, I feel he would have at least been in contention for an Oscar even if he hadn't died.

Heath Joker portrayal is quite remarkable and he is able to be scary, funny and just plain absurd all in the same time. The man frightened me...in a 12A film. Not only that, but the way in which he inhabits the character is pretty unique. He made the role his own and complete eradicated any memory of Jack Nicholson's charismatic turn. Not an easy feat, mate. It's an iconic performance and is so not Heath Ledger. That was some Daniel Day-Lewis level **** right there.

I agree with your first paragraph but not the 2nd.

His death definitely contributed a bit to the financial gain of the film. But yeah, it was probably only a few million more.
However, I feel he would have at least been in contention for an Oscar even if he hadn't died.

Heath Joker portrayal is quite remarkable and he is able to be scary, funny and just plain absurd all in the same time. The man frightened me...in a 12A film. Not only that, but the way in which he inhabits the character is pretty unique. He made the role his own and complete eradicated any memory of Jack Nicholson's charismatic turn. Not an easy feat, mate. It's an iconic performance and is so not Heath Ledger. That was some Daniel Day-Lewis level **** right there.

I agree with 60% of your first sentence.

I didn't think that Ledger's performance was remarkable. It was good, I enjoyed it, but I'd expect any decent actor (and I thought Ledger was better than 'decent') to be able to deliver a good performance playing The Joker, as long as the director allowed him to do so. That's how it is with bad guys and, especially, psychos. Psychos with gimmicks? Even more so. Make no mistake, he delivers and, if that's one of the best 5 performances that qualifies for Best Supporting Actor, then so be it. But I for one will think it's a poor year, with little to choose from. If he wins it? It'll certainly be a vote for sentiment over sense. Of course, this is the Oscars, so it won't be the first time.

As for Daniel Day-Lewis.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Screw Heath's Joker, go Eckhart's Two-Face!

But in all seriousness, I think it contributed a little bit to TDK, it would have been huge either way. Word of mouth rocks! Case and point: Juno.

Hi guys I agree with you The Dark Knight wouldn't have been as sucessfull if Ledger didn't die. I like this movie. Because Dark Night movie is very intrested movie

If he was alive, he would be getting new roles, pics in magazine covers and having news and interviews. It would have fueled the fire more and making it more money.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
My thought, it would have been just as successful, mainly because it's a flippin' good movie, people would have been astonished by Heath Ledger's performance even if he'd lived, and he'd have gone on to become a very in demand star. I mean nobody would have expected the guy from Brokeback Mountain to be so crazy and go for broke (He wasn't even the first choice, the part was written for Sean Penn, I'd read), and he just knocked it right out of the park. This was a career making performance, but now it's a career capping performance, I guess. I suppose that the folks doing Batman 3 will have their work cut out for them now.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

He wasn't even the first choice, the part was written for Sean Penn, I'd read.

I heard about the Sean Penn rumours awhile back, too. But Nolan confirmed in many interviews that that's all they were..rumours.

Why's there a gun in your trousers?
it got more hype because he died, but the movie was still amazing regardless. He could be alive today and it wouldnt effect his performance. I still think the movie would have been just as successfull just based on the buzz of his performance. Thats what sells the movie, not his death.