Reading Tab

Tools    

DAEDALUS: Journal of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences

I am frickin' hooked on this. It's literary crack. I like essays, and behold, a quarterly journal full of essays from super-duper smart people talking about stuff that's fun to discuss when you're drunk.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Can someone recommend some light reading for my 12 year old niece? She just finished Harry Potter and I have no idea what to order for her next, but I'd like for her to continue reading something...preferably some series of books? Halp...

The Adventure Starts Here!
adi, there's a fun trilogy by Libba Bray, the first book being called A Great and Terrible Beauty. Set in the 1800s but very "modern" reading. My 15 yr old daughter and I loved the series.

There's also the uber-popular Twilight teen vampire series by Stephenie Meyer (set in modern times in and around Seattle).

Those two spring to mind right away. I've read both series with my daughter.

If your niece likes fantasy, try A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin. If she likes it, there are a number of sequels. And it will introduce her to an amazingly awesome Science Fiction and Fantasy author whose other work she will enjoy when she is a little older too

EDIT: Oh and of course The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman! A great fantasy novel for children. Don't judge a book by it's movie! The rest of the His Dark Materials trilogy is amazing as well.

Though I haven't read any of them myself, I hear very good things about the Artemis Fowl books.

And there's always The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien.

adi, there's a fun trilogy by Libba Bray, the first book being called A Great and Terrible Beauty. Set in the 1800s but very "modern" reading. My 15 yr old daughter and I loved the series.

There's also the uber-popular Twilight teen vampire series by Stephenie Meyer (set in modern times in and around Seattle).

Those two spring to mind right away. I've read both series with my daughter.
Yeah, I've heard about the latter but I've read it's mostly about romance and death and the like and I'm not sure the kid is into either at the mo. That's why it's rather difficult to choose some books for her, she's in the awkward transitional phase, not quite a child, but not a teenager either. And unfortunately I can't find anything by Bray in Croatian...

If your niece likes fantasy, try A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin. If she likes it, there are a number of sequels. And it will introduce her to an amazingly awesome Science Fiction and Fantasy author whose other work she will enjoy when she is a little older too

EDIT: Oh and of course The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman! A great fantasy novel for children. Don't judge a book by it's movie! The rest of the His Dark Materials trilogy is amazing as well.

Though I haven't read any of them myself, I hear very good things about the Artemis Fowl books.

And there's always The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien.
Ah, Artemis Fowl seems perfect, thanks! And they have it in Croatian, praise the Lord! Speaking of which, while I loved His dark materials, I'm a little hesitant to give it to a 12 year old. I think it's more suited for young adults than children. Oh and yes, I do believe it's time to introduce her to Tolkien, thanks for reminding me. Unfortunately I can't find Le Guin (I have two books in English though, but hers is not yet good enough I'm afraid).

Thanks for the help, both of youz...

Oh- and there are always the classics. I loved Mark Twain when I was 12- The Prince and the Pauper and A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court were special favorites of mine.

And how can I forget the brilliant Douglas Adams SF comedy novel: A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I read it when I was in high school, and my girlfriend read it when she was 10, so it averages out to around 12

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I think the Uglies series is good by Scot Westerfield. Your neice might enjoy that.

Ender's Game is one everyone enjoys.

The Giver is another.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
I just read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and it's what Apocalypse Now is based off of and i absolutely loved it. It's only 76 pages (in size 4 font) and i'm going to read it again...right now. because there's so much in it!

The Adventure Starts Here!
I just read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and it's what Apocalypse Now is based off of and i absolutely loved it. It's only 76 pages (in size 4 font) and i'm going to read it again...right now. because there's so much in it!
Size 4 font? Sounds like you're using an e-reader, no? I have an Amazon Kindle, and size 4 font is my usual default.

Easily one of my favorite stories of all-time.

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
I am reading such an amazing book and am totally sucked in the book is called Imagica by Clive Barker ( I think ) .
It's a trip about alternate worlds....Sedai can best describe the book for he has finished it. He was the one who had bought it for me to read and it's super good so far.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Easily one of my favorite stories of all-time.

same here! You're the only person on this website that has Apocalypse Now on their top ten and i was just thinking about replacing A Clockwork Orange with Apocalypse Now on my own top ten but i must consider things lol but it hasn't generated much love on this site it seems... but yeah the story is amazing both times, in vietnam and the congo

A system of cells interlinked
I read this last year and was floored. I need to re-read it, though...

Doesn't make me like the film more, though. Not a big fan of Apoc Now... It's not a bad movie, by any stretch, just not one I am over the moon about...