Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Alisson is important for us, and the difference in quality is there to see, but yesterday's result or the defeat at Watford or the last few games of the previous season, shows how incredibly important Jordan Henderson is to our side.

Without him we lose focus, organisation, and the much needed spine.

Lamela probably should have gone as well (or neither of them), because that elbow was high & deliberate (and so were the shameful theatrics :/)

But he has always had this in his game man. That classic Argentinian-style gamesmanship (that Poch was very much on board with as well). And we've benefited from it a fair bit over the years. All the last minute tactical tumbles that led to a free kick equaliser or a pen. All the parts of his psycho-Duracell-bunny routine, constantly harrying, that have led to players accumulating yellows & reds. (Even if we saw the positive side of that in that insta-equaliser).

As much as I don't like the 'target the hot head' school of strategy (and I'm sure Mouh deploys it), I can't say that that game wasn't satisfying

The Son/Kane sumptuous-assist show continuing. Hojbjerg demonstrating yet again that he doesn't just boss midfield effectively, but he's got a slide-rule progressive pass in him as well. Ndomble getting back into his purple-pomp confidence, with some terrier steel to back it up. (Reguilon looking pacy, persistent, sensible and speculative - and able to play across most of the park seemingly. I could go on and on, about most of the main players )

Alll of that stuff counters the Mourinho stuff I'm much more worried about. The park-the-bus philosophy which relies on 5 breaks a game to flip it. To make sure you definitely don't lose.

Those boys can play that way, and still produce some damn fine stuff

(Also I feel arguing about Spuds internal concerns is the best the way to spare Honey's blushes at this point )

Reguilon was an absolute engine, absolutely loving watching him play

Neck's still aching but yesterday was such an awful day. Not just United being hit for 6 (while I didn't expect that I did expect a loss) or how useless our midfield was (again, I just assumed that the moment I saw the line up. Pogba needs to be sat down, either because he's still suffering from Covid effects or he doesn't care again) or that both or neither shoud've gone for a red card (both IMO) or the way we placed bodies around our goal (because to call that defending really would be to forget what that word actually means) or that, after two attempts to clear the ball, Maguire seems to pull Luke Shaw out of the way for attempting to do what he'd failed (twice) to do, which then led to a goal or plenty of other things I could mention and I think you'd all nod your heads along with while reading.

No. On an awful day for a United fan, the worst of it was that Liverpool had the gaul to lose 7-2 just hours after and, therefore, I was unable to enjoy it. Bastards.

what a charming lad xD

Neck's still aching but yesterday was such an awful day. Not just United being hit for 6 (while I didn't expect that I did expect a loss) or how useless our midfield was (again, I just assumed that the moment I saw the line up. Pogba needs to be sat down, either because he's still suffering from Covid effects or he doesn't care again) or that both or neither shoud've gone for a red card (both IMO) or the way we placed bodies around our goal (because to call that defending really would be to forget what that word actually means) or that, after two attempts to clear the ball, Maguire seems to pull Luke Shaw out of the way for attempting to do what he'd failed (twice) to do, which then led to a goal or plenty of other things I could mention and I think you'd all nod your heads along with while reading.

No. On an awful day for a United fan, the worst of it was that Liverpool had the gaul to lose 7-2 just hours after and, therefore, I was unable to enjoy it. Bastards.

Neither should've gone IMO.
Pogba never presses the ball, he does everything on his terms, if he was my teammate I'd be frustrated as hell working harder than someone earning 3x what I'm getting (or more)

there's a frog in my snake oil
Anyone else hate international breaks?
Don’t mind this time. They’ve scored this week’s goals in advance

They suck at the best of times, but in the middle of a pandemic it seems even more pointless especially if there are friendlies scheduled.

But even with the competitive matches really doing it like this and players coming from so many different bubbles - my team has already had 4 players now either been tested as positive (1) since joining their national sides or are now having to isolate (3), all of which is because they've been in close proximity to players who have been tested as positive in their respective international squads.

Normally when there are international breaks I just hope the players all return without having picked up any needless injuries, but seems we now also have to sit and hope that the majority of them come back healthy as well. Not happy.

Rant over, lol.

Getting ready to batten down the hatches. Not seen the team sheets yet, but unless something magical happens on either side, I'm very worried. PSG are a bit like Spurs in so much as I actually think it benefits them to play to no one. If United score early or it's a draw going into the latter stages a PSG crowd would be getting worried/nervous and the players would feel all those past failures haunt them. That isn't going to happen tonight. Although the main reason it won't happen is because we'll be lucky to be that close to them.

Shut up HK, you know nothing... Is what I should be saying here and with great pleasure as, once more, football exists to prove the folly of predicting the future.

That said, I don't think anyone could've predicred that Tuchel would find a look-a-like agency which had doubles of his entire team, let alone him deciding to play all of them.

I did have a bit more faith once I saw Pogba wasn't in the starting line up. At least there was a midfield which would just sit there, break up play and pass the ball. Rather than lose posession of it 25 yards from goal while trying to turn.

De Gea looked like the player he was 3 years ago which was great because a couple of times we needed that player. Telles had a good first game. Nothing special, but solid with obvious quality. Tuanzebe showed what he can do and, if he can stay fit and play like that regularly, then the position of pacy central defender we're crying out for can be well and truly filled. Fernandes once again proved he's the talisman of this team and should be used to push Pogba (if long Covid isn't the reason for his recent performances) to either step up to the position in the team he was bought for or as a warning that if he wants to go to Real, then we're more likely to be fielding calls about Bruno than him unless his performances improve dramatically and consistantly.

But even for all that, PSG should've been up for this. Neymar was coming too deep to find the ball (great for us), Mbappe had no joy against the two fastest defenders we have... But for some reason didn't think to try to other side, where we had a new player and a left-back playing centrally. Again, I'm thankful, it just didn't make sense to me. I think Neymar and Di Maria were pissing off the ref with their antics and moaning and their midfield looked really poor.

Were it not for Rashford making a couple of poor decisions at vital moments and Navas being their man of the match, we'd have won by two or three. Ole got it spot on, made the big decisions and should get the credit for it. But is also lucky to have come up against a PSG who had almost nothing to offer.

Ajax will rightly fancy it tonight. Apparently no Matip as well for us, along with Virgil and Thiago.

That's Fabinho pushed to CB - probably at least till December. Both Joe Gomez and Matip are injury prone. Should be an interesting time till December.

Also, don't think Van Dijk will be the same again. At his age and with that injury, he is unfortunately done.

Ajax will rightly fancy it tonight. Apparently no Matip as well for us, along with Virgil and Thiago.

That's Fabinho pushed to CB - probably at least till December. Both Joe Gomez and Matip are injury prone. Should be an interesting time till December.

Also, don't think Van Dijk will be the same again. At his age and with that injury, he is unfortunately done.
Fabinho immense again at CB, Gomez much improved too alongside him. I really rate Matip normally he's just way too injury prone. Will be interesting to see if we bring in a CB in January.

Impressive stuff tonight I thought, fairly comfortable and with lots of rotation. Jota looked great when he came on too.

I thought Gomez did well. Adrian made some good saves, but the s panic he spreads in the side is worrying. Just need more calmer heads.

Thought we did well. Fabinho was amazing.
I think Gomez has most of the attributes to be a great player and has shown it in spells, it seems to me his issues are down to confidence. One mistake and his head goes down and he’s starts to crumble. Needs to be a bit more of a lion and a leader like VVD or even Fabinho. Hopefully he can regain his form and we can plug that gap for now at least.

Adrian is a pretty good shot stopper and makes some great saves, but as you say he just spreads panic. Handling and communication is awful, as well as distribution which I thought show in the Merseyside Derby.

I was happy with the performance, lots of rotation so to get three points away in our opening game is good. I’m looking forward to the Atalanta game, I think that could be a goal-fest.

Same old story, I've seen it all my life. They don't call them lucky Liverpool for nothing. They got the job done though. I'm looking forward to the Liverpool/Atalanta games, they should be crackers.

Shame Porto couldn't keep City at bay, though even I thought Pepe was lucky to stay on the pitch.

For United? Not well at all. That's because the club is being run so horribly and I personally don't think we'll do much until that changes. However, after last night.

TBH we didn't play that well then either. First half wasn't great, but apart from a couple of chances I didn't think Leipzig threatened that much either. Second half was much better and especially once Ole brought on Rashford and Bruno. As you'd expect.

I'm loving VAR though. I've been saying for years that we are denied more goals than we're given and, being a United fan no one believe me. But it's being bourne out more and more in the last couple of years. Rashford's goal wouldn't have been given without it and it's arguable that Greenwood's wouldn't either.

For all that, how Chelsea didn't get a penalty on Saturday I honestly have no idea. You don't mind the officials missing something blatant because they weren't looking/couldn't see it, but even as a United fan I'd have been embarrassed not to have given Maguire's foul after watching the replay.

I don't know if you'll be able to see this or not @Powdered Water but there's some excellent finishing to be seen.