Guaporense top 100 albums

Tools    

Well, there's only Beethoven for classical. And 80% heavy metal. It seems a little far-fetched to call this list diverse. Hopefully there will be more "eclectic" stuff coming up.
Beethoven is the only erudite composer on this list, Hisaishi and other film composers may be considered classical in the sense that his compositions are heavily influenced by Romantic composers such as Beethoven and that they are orchestral music as well.

Besides Beethoven I know the music of composers such as Dvorak, Mozart, Handel, Haydn, Mahler, Chopin, Debussy, Tchaikovsky, Schubert, Bach and Vivaldi, I had some of these under consideration but my love for metal is just too strong, classical music has a hard time competing with the raw power and intensity of metal. Also, classical music demands patience from the listener and several listens before it can fully enjoyed (though the same applies to metal: I did not like Slayer the first time I listened to it but after I trained my ear with enough Judas Priest the melody of Slayer became accessible), since I have been listening to Beethoven's symphonies for a decade now I fully grasped them, I have not yeat grasped the music from other composers and their lack of raw intensity reduces their attractiveness to me.

59. Melissa (1983) (Mercyful Fate)

Danish heavy metal band Mercyful Fate; classic band, and this is an absolute classic being their first album also featuring the mixture of highly melodic guitar play with the awesome vocals of King Diamond.

58. Defying the Rules (2004) (Hybria)

I believe this to be my favorite Brazilian heavy metal album. It's a very refined speed metal album with obvious influences from classics from the genre such as Painkiller, Walls of Jericho and Follow the Blind. The band displays great technical skills and surprisingly most of their album sales were in Japan (the vocalist even showed up in a list of top 10 vocalists by a Japanese heavy metal magazine, the high pitched vocals demand great ), I guess their sound appears to have some similarity with J-pop underneath the layers of guitar work . Like Melissa, this was the first album of this band, too bad their later albums were significantly weaker. I guess the first album of a band usually is their best album because since it's their first they put all their soul and personality into it (and their best songs among those written in the formative years of a band) given it's their first shoot (and possibly final) at recording a full length album.

57. Princess Mononoke OST (1997) (Hisaishi)

Hisaishi's best work and the best film soundtrack of all time. Also here played by the Czech symphonic orchestra it is perhaps the best version of this film score.

56. Under Jolly Roger (1987) (Running Wild)

The fouding album of the pirate metal genre and Running Wild's career defining album, notice also that this is their 4th album to show up on this countdown, a great feat by the German heavy metal band.

55. Imaginations on the Other Side (1995) (Blind Guardian)

Voted on a poll in a heavy metal forum as the greatest power metal album of all time, Imaginations on the Other Side is truly the work of the very talented musicians of this German power metal band. Their technicality shown here in full blown and influences ranging from Bay Area thrash metal to classical music and progressive heavy metal.

54. Metal Heart (1984) (Accept)

One of Accept's most accomplished albums, Metal Heart is an absolute classic in every sense of the word.

53. Sound of Perseverance (1998) (Death)

Death's last album before Schuldiner's death from throat cancer, this classic of progressive death metal is even melodic than Symbolic distancing itself from the pure death metal aesthetic principles which were actually defined on their first albums. Before Death, death metal did not exist as a clearly defined genre (though Possessed's Seven Churches is generally claimed to be the first death metal album it is basically an extreme thrash metal album like the stuff Kreator and Sodom were doing at the same time).

Number of albums by country of origin:

Germany: 40
US: 25
UK: 21
Japan: 4
Brazil: 3
Denmark: 3
Austria: 1
Norway: 1
Sweden: 1
Canada: 1

Germany's musical traditional is unbeatable even though the US and UK also developed a strong musical tradition in non-Erudite music the erudite background of the New Hansa countries (Austria, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Norway) allows them to produce music with greater melodic complexity than the rest of the world. In other words, from Bach to Mozart to Beethoven to Kai Hansen and Quorthon!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
No albums from Poland? What is this?! No Tuvan Throat Singing? WTF?!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

@Mr. Minio, I have listened to some Polish metal bands like Behemoth. But I haven't liked anything that much to put into my top albums list.

To compare the size of Polish metal to German:

Poohkali who rated nearly 20,000 albums there listed 23 Polish bands.
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Poohka...h_metal_bands/

For Germany, the same guy had 183 bands listed:
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Poohka...n_metal_bands/

And the guy also has an impressive list of top 500 best albums ever:
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Poohka...t_albums_ever/

52. Nightfall on Middle Earth (1998) (Blind Guardian)

Perhaps the best album of the genre: pseudo opera style power metal. While considered hyped (like Master of Puppets) I personally loved it and I consider it among the best albums of all time.

51. The Spectre Within (1984) (Fates Warning)

One of the finest bands of American heavy metal this relatively unknown band is sure a underrated gem of progressive heavy metal.

50. Epica (2003) (Kamelot)

From the golden age of Kamelot, perhaps the greatest power metal band outside of Europe and among the best power metal bands ever. Less heavy on it's symphonic and progressive influences than Black Halo it features a more pure power metal sound but still very different from the teutonic variety.

Ok! Let's continue this:

49. Headless Children (1989) (W.A.S.P.)

Probably W.A.S.P. best album by combining their early "glam" heavy metal style with greater artistic substance leading to a classic in traditional heavy metal.

48. The Eternal Idol (1987) (Black Sabbath)

While Black Sabbath earliest albums are the most popular IMO they only got better with time up to the 1990's. In fact, their best vocalist was perhaps Tony Martin and their best artistic streak was from 1986 to 1990 with masterpieces such as The Eternal Idol.

47. Somewhere in Time (1986) (Iron Maiden)

Iron Maiden during the 1980's was in a phenomenal streak, perhaps the greatest short run of masterpieces by any artist that I know: 7 masterpieces one after another in a 8 year period. Somewhere in Time is another of their masterpieces, now featuring a very spacey sound utilizing synthesizers.

46. Reign in Blood (1986) (Slayer)

To keep things varied after 3 classical heavy albums I am adding a thrash album in 46th place, a classic among classics, Slayer's Reign in Blood.

I like Dvorak, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mahler, Tchaikovsky, Debussy among classical composers. I listened to some Bach but I didn't like it that much though I remain ignorant of most of his work.

45. Better than Raw (1998) (Helloween)

One of the most pleasing albums I ever listened to. In fact, I could listen to it several hundred times and not get tired of it. As I said before, I like to listen to Helloween to relax and not focus hard on the music and so they are the band themselves which I listen the most often I have listened to each album of theirs about 100 times or more in some cases.

44. Balls to the Wall (1983) (Accept)

A masterpiece of the German heavy metal band Accept. Accept is always among my favorite bands because of their extremely "generic" metal sound, what some people might say it's bad I say it's good because I love the "essence" of metal and I find deviations from the essence to be worse than metal of higher purity.

And it's interesting how their art radically evolved by assimilating many innovations from the music world (sarcasm):

Accept's 2012 song Stalingrad:

Keeping ol'school metal strong!

43. Coma of Souls (1990) (Kreator)

And another masterpiece of the German thrash metal band Kreator. Some say this album represents a gold standard in classical thrash riffing exhibiting great richness and diversity of guitar riffing. To bad the band went to sh*t afterwards as they started doing some lighter less aggressive stuff incorporating metalcore/groove/techno influences and the band never recovered.

42. The House of Atreus part 2 (2000) (Virgin Steele)

Virgin Steele's most ambitious album and among the most ambitious musical projects in popular music history, a heavy metal opera which lasts 3 hours and was released in two albums in 1999 and 2000. They even got a German (naturally) theater to play it in 2003 and 2004.

Shostakovich eats all these power & thrash metal bands alive!

And look, Guap, there's an anime girl on that image! WTF!

Cool stuff, Russian erudite music is some hardcore sh*t.

There are similarities between Classical music and Heavy Metal in that both types of music are characterized by a strong sense of theatricality and take themselves very seriously (compared to rappers and pop rock groups). Another similarity is the strong instrumental presence: in both metal and classical are mainly instrumental music: true heavy metal can be defined as riff driven music, if you remove the vocals from a heavy metal song you still can have a good idea of how it sounds. There are very important differences: Heavy Metal is more visceral, aggressive and intense while Classical is more mature, calm and complex (usually, though there are some progressive metal albums that approach the complexity of classical), though there are some brutal classical like that symphony Mr. Minio posted above. I guess in 10 years my favorite albums list will have more classical and maybe some Jazz (a field I remain mostly ignorant about even though some say it's the American equivalent to European classical music).

41. The Fourth Legacy (1999) (Kamelot)

A masterpiece of flower metal, perhaps THE masterpiece of the genre. Notice the melodic richness while not sacrificing the intensity and aggression of metal.

40. By Inheritance (1990) (Artillery)

And to end with the flowery sh*t a nice thrash classic, the Austrian thrash metal band Artillery finest: By Inheritance.

39. Abigail (1986) (King Diamond)

King Diamond's best album is still their first, a masterpiece of classic heavy metal. I love King Diamond's vocals, they are brilliant and on the higher end of the male vocal range.

38. Dark Assault (2001) (Iron Savior)

A masterpiece of speed power metal. While Kamelot can be regarded as an element in the lighter side of power metal, Iron Savior is closer to speed thrash but still preserving the melodic focus.

37. Show no Mercy (1983) (Slayer)

A strong candidate for the earliest thrash metal album of all time (though Metallica's first came a bit earlier, Show no Mercy is closer to pure thrash while Kill'En All is closer to speed metal).

36. Darkness Descents (1986) (Dark Angel)

Turn it loud, very loud (mostly because of the cr*p production)! This album can kill children and small animals! Pure unalduteraded thrash metal aggression, where the riffs mix into each other as if in a multi layered soup of riffs instead of being clearly defined as in Kreator's Coma of Souls. Some claim to be the heaviest album of all time though I am not sure it is certainly among first tier in that category.

Finishing up the best favorites list of all time!

35. Piece of Mind (1983) - Iron Maiden

34. Defenders of Faith (1982) - Judas Priest

33. 7 Sinners (2011) - Helloween

32. Blood Fire Death (1988) - Bathory

31. Don't Break the Oath (1983) - Mercyful Fate

30. 9th Symphony (1800's) - Beethoven

29. Ride the Lightning (Metallica)

28. Sin after Sin (Judas Priest)

Heaviest song from the 1970's.

27. Iron Savior (Iron Savior)

Masterpiece of videogame sounding HM.

26. Hell Awaits (Slayer)

25. Tyr (Black Sabbath)

Didn't know 9th Symphony is an album. xD If it is then state who the performers are.