Daniel M's Top 100 - 2014

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Another great comedy that I have similar thoughts on. My step-dad's a big fan of this and the 'Naked Gun' films, but I never watched this properly until late last year. I think I recorded it and watched it a few times in a few days, another one that me and my brother both love and find hilarious. Loads of great characters with their different sub plots adding their own different comedic touches.

+ rep for Airplane!. It's one of the funniest movies ever made.

I haven't seen any of the other movies in this set.

Not crazy about The Thin Red Line or the Kill Bill movies, although I owe both another viewing.

I do love Airplane and Jackie Brown, and liked Spinal Tap.

Airplane! and Spinal Tap are hilarious.

Jackie Brown is my second favorite film from QT. Like you hinted at in your Tarantino fellatio thread (), its lack of popularity among some of the typical Tarantino fanboys is, in my opinion, partly because the star of the film is a middle-aged black woman. And the second main character is Robert Forster, who isn't exactly a Vincent Vega or Mr. Blonde. Jackie Brown lacks some of the coolness of his other films. It's a more mature, sophisticated film. It's also his most reserved film, especially compared to Kill Bill, Django Unchained, Inglorious Basterds and Death Proof. The fact that it is an adaptation probably plays a big role in that, but I wish QT would make another film in a similar, less flashy approach.

I think of Kill Bill as one film, but if I have to pick between the two volumes, I definitely prefer Vol. II. Before he made Django Unchained, Kill Bill Vol. II was the closest QT had come to making a spaghetti western. And as a huge fan of westerns, of course, that similar style and aesthetic really appeals to me.

The Thin Red Line is a very frustrating film. Like all of Malick's films, it's gorgeous to look at, but every time I found myself becoming invested in one of the characters or the story, the film pauses to allow Jim Cavaziel to deliver a long monologue about how his bootlaces symbolize the horrors of war while the camera focuses on a blade of grass in the early morning dew. Profound! I'm exaggerating, of course, and it's a lovely film in parts, but if I have to watch a Malick film, give me Badlands or Days of Heaven.

Surely you can't be serious?
Don't call me Shirley.

Only watched Jackie Brown and Kill Bill there, i like both quite alot especially JB but i'm not as big of a Tarantino fan as most here. My dad loves Airplane. I imagine it would make his top 10, he's been telling me to watch it for years, i've just never got around to it. The Thin Red Line, is the one that interests me most in that set; Malick is the defenition of hit and miss for me, seen 2, disliked Badlands and loved Days of Heaven .

Missed your last post. I think This is Spinal Tap and Airplane! are decent comedies, the latter being slightly better. But I didn't really find either great. Big for Kill Bill Volume 2 on the other hand.

The movie that got me into movies, I've already wrote loads about it on this site. Because I'm lazy I'm going to once again pimp my mega Tarantino love article - click here!
Another David Lynch film on my list, and like his last entry, another heartwarming, human effort that focuses on relationships and life in general. The film moves along at a calculated, kind of poetic pace as it builds towards its finale, the journey along the way is so beautiful and it times tragic that it makes you want to laugh and cry. There's not much to write about movies like these, you watch them and you feel them, if you haven't seen it, do so now.
A movie that benefited from having been watched a few times by myself during the week leading up to when I compiled this list. It instantly became a favourite, I had saw bits and bobs, and then every time it was on TV me and my brother started to put it on. Absolutely hilarious film, a brilliant satire of war and politics in general, with many hilarious scenes and musical acts.
My favourite animated film. A fantastic homage to Westerns and the great Chinatown. It's hilarious in its own right and in my opinion features some of the greatest animation in terms of art design that I have seen.

Read my lengthy review here!
Back to what people might consider to be more 'serious' movies, this might just be the most beautiful film that I have seen. Wonderfully shot, with great camerawork and use of colour, a haunting and powerful look at a man caught up in the fascist regime of Italy. I need to see more Bertolucci.

Five great films there . RD is my favourite Tarantino. Team America is one of the funniest films ever made imo. I prefer a few Lynchs to Straight Story but it's still an excellent film. I watched Rango for the Animated list and it will no doubt make mine. The Conformist is probably my least fav of the set, but it's still very good and just missed my 70s list.

Wow, I thought The Conformist was going to show up much higher (top ten maybe). I watched it in preparation for the 70s list and liked it a fair amount

And I just realized which Lynch film won't make your list

I really must see Team America. Everyone here seems to love it.
Yes, you must. I don't think it's for everyone, but I obviously hope the humour appeals to you.

Five great films there . RD is my favourite Tarantino. Team America is one of the funniest films ever made imo. I prefer a few Lynchs to Straight Story but it's still an excellent film. I watched Rango for the Animated list and it will no doubt make mine. The Conformist is probably my least fav of the set, but it's still very good and just missed my 70s list.
I knew you'd love that set. Glad that Rango will be on your animation list, I'm not spoiling anything when I say it will be my number one. Hopefully it gets some good support around here, I know a few others like it too.

Wow, I thought The Conformist was going to show up much higher (top ten maybe). I watched it in preparation for the 70s list and liked it a fair amount

And I just realized which Lynch film won't make your list
When I saw it I thought it was brilliant and on first viewings it would rank near the best, but it's been a while so #46 is fair for now, most of my top 50 is pretty interchangeable as I've said. I'm still sorting out rankings now, ordering is so painful.

And yeah, sorry about that It probably should have, there are a few more films that should have probably been on as well, which you guys will notice at the end.

You'll be even more upset when Casablanca is #1

(Might be joking might not)

I'm sure I don't even have to tell you which films I love in that set and which one I don't. I've not seen Rango, but I do have a slight interest in seeing it. I'm not sure why.

I'm sure I don't even have to tell you which films I love in that set and which one I don't. I've not seen Rango, but I do have a slight interest in seeing it. I'm not sure why.
Yeah I knew you'd love the first three.

As for Rango, I don't think you'd like it, a bit too quirky for you, I think the cons might outweigh the cons. It's an animation and a Western, the only pro I can think of for you is that it closely follows Chinatown

No way, I can think of at least five other films which have a higher chance of being your #1

As for Rango, I don't think you'd like it, a bit too quirky for you, I think the cons might outweigh the cons. It's an animation and a Western, the only pro I can think of for you is that it closely follows Chinatown
I know, that's why I don't know what's pulling me. It's not a strong pull, it's not that I really want to see it but, whereas I'm usually pretty sure about what I will and won't like (as you might've noticed ) with this one there's just a little something nagging me which has piqued my interest. You're probably right. Hell, I'm probably right, but there's just something there. I'll probably see it someday and then I'll know. I might not even finish it.