SJWs denounce Tarantino

Tools    

Evidently they take major fuming exceptions with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/0...tinos-critics/
I haven't seen the movie but SJW types need to realize it's a movie not legislation. They need to complain about what our politicians and law makers are or are not doing, leave art (movies) out of it.

Some excerpts from the rather long but excellent article from
Spike: The unbearable wokeness of Tarantino’s critics

If anybody is still uncertain about the extent to which woke identity politics has corroded the arts, one need look no further than the mainstream critical response to Quentin Tarantino’s new film,Once Upon a Time in Hollywood...

....Richard Brody in the New Yorker complains that the film is ‘obscenely regressive’, ‘ridiculously white’, and ‘celebrates white-male stardom’. Matthew Rozsa in Salon dismisses it as ‘sexist historical revisionism’. Writing for the Observer, Wendy Ide mars an otherwise insightful review by expressing frustration at ‘the positioning of middle-aged white males as the real victims’.

Those critics who have become subsumed into the cult of wokeness can rarely lay claim to individuality in their analysis. The cumulative effect feels like the product of a hive mind, one that is less concerned with artistic merit than with matters of diversity, inclusivity and representation...Time magazine published an article entitled ‘We Counted Every Line in Every Quentin Tarantino Film to See How Often Women Talk’. And yes, the exercise is as fatuous as it sounds...

...One of Brody’s many bugbears is the representation of Bruce Lee, played by Mike Moh, who is humiliated in a scuffle with stuntman Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) on the set of The Green Hornet. Shannon Lee (Bruce Lee’s daughter) has described the portrayal as ‘irresponsible’ and ‘belittling’. Former basketball player Kareem Abdul-Jabbar considers it ‘somewhat racist’. Lee biographer Matthew Polly calls it ‘inaccurate’. In reality, the scene in question is a strong comedic set piece with an impressive performance from Moh, which also happens to serve an important function in the narrative. A screen idol like Bruce Lee hardly needs to be protected from caricature, and it is surely demeaning to his legacy to suggest otherwise.

It’s not a distinction that troubles film critic Larushka Ivan-Zadeh. Writing for The Times, she attacks Tarantino’s ‘sadistically violent, casually racist and misogynistic fantasies, which, he insists, are just movies, not real life’. She identifies a number of supposedly offensive instances of violence against women in Tarantino’s back catalogue, which not only reveals her ongoing struggle with the concept of fiction, but also conveniently neglects the fact that his male characters tend to fare even worse.

The most ludicrous response to the film has come, perhaps predictably, from the Guardian. Indulging in the most spurious cod-psychoanalysis, Caspar Salmon claims that ‘Tarantino’s filmography reveals a director in search of increasingly gruesome settings to validate his revenge fantasies and confer legitimacy on his bloodthirst’. Again, the charge of misogyny is made on the grounds that Tarantino depicts ‘morally repellent’ violence against women...

I can see the point they are trying to make...I mean I was looking for the humorless female character who tells the male characters how dumb they are and it totally wasn't in the movie. Also when Brad Pitt went to the Manson family I didn't notice anyone of color what they couldn't find a single person of color to be in the Manson family. Also why was Charlie Manson played by a white dude get woke Hollywood why didn't they cast Octavia Spencer as Charlie Manson that would have made the film better in my eyes.

Finally you know I don't feel like I need to say this but the violence against women in this film was just so excessive I mean what did Susan Atkins do to deserve such a violent and demeaning death.

'Tis just the age of 'appropriated offence', hopefully it'll pass ... and if not then at some point I surely will

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
But if you look at real photographs of the Manson family, they all seem pretty white. So wasn't Tarantino just trying to be accurate?

As for violence against women in the movie, it feels like the men had quite a bit of violence against them too. The guy who was torn apart by the dog, suffered a brutal death too, so I don't think Tarantino was being one sided about the violence, when it came to gender, was he?

Evidently they take major fuming exceptions with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/0...tinos-critics/
yeah right ? when bruce lee was punched in the face by brad pitt...people couldnt stop laughing and they were also laughing everytime bruce lee is humiliated...screw SJWs....tarantino rocks...who does bruce lee think he is coming to hollywood and trying to tell us how to make movies..he should stick to Asia...tarantino is the man..SJWs triggered easily snowflakes

Some excerpts from the rather long but excellent article from
Spike: The unbearable wokeness of Tarantino’s critics

If anybody is still uncertain about the extent to which woke identity politics has corroded the arts, one need look no further than the mainstream critical response to Quentin Tarantino’s new film,Once Upon a Time in Hollywood...

....Richard Brody in the New Yorker complains that the film is ‘obscenely regressive’, ‘ridiculously white’, and ‘celebrates white-male stardom’. Matthew Rozsa in Salon dismisses it as ‘sexist historical revisionism’. Writing for the Observer, Wendy Ide mars an otherwise insightful review by expressing frustration at ‘the positioning of middle-aged white males as the real victims’.

Those critics who have become subsumed into the cult of wokeness can rarely lay claim to individuality in their analysis. The cumulative effect feels like the product of a hive mind, one that is less concerned with artistic merit than with matters of diversity, inclusivity and representation...Time magazine published an article entitled ‘We Counted Every Line in Every Quentin Tarantino Film to See How Often Women Talk’. And yes, the exercise is as fatuous as it sounds...

...One of Brody’s many bugbears is the representation of Bruce Lee, played by Mike Moh, who is humiliated in a scuffle with stuntman Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) on the set of The Green Hornet. Shannon Lee (Bruce Lee’s daughter) has described the portrayal as ‘irresponsible’ and ‘belittling’. Former basketball player Kareem Abdul-Jabbar considers it ‘somewhat racist’. Lee biographer Matthew Polly calls it ‘inaccurate’. In reality, the scene in question is a strong comedic set piece with an impressive performance from Moh, which also happens to serve an important function in the narrative. A screen idol like Bruce Lee hardly needs to be protected from caricature, and it is surely demeaning to his legacy to suggest otherwise.

It’s not a distinction that troubles film critic Larushka Ivan-Zadeh. Writing for The Times, she attacks Tarantino’s ‘sadistically violent, casually racist and misogynistic fantasies, which, he insists, are just movies, not real life’. She identifies a number of supposedly offensive instances of violence against women in Tarantino’s back catalogue, which not only reveals her ongoing struggle with the concept of fiction, but also conveniently neglects the fact that his male characters tend to fare even worse.

The most ludicrous response to the film has come, perhaps predictably, from the Guardian. Indulging in the most spurious cod-psychoanalysis, Caspar Salmon claims that ‘Tarantino’s filmography reveals a director in search of increasingly gruesome settings to validate his revenge fantasies and confer legitimacy on his bloodthirst’. Again, the charge of misogyny is made on the grounds that Tarantino depicts ‘morally repellent’ violence against women...
Yeah I noticed the same thing with the Alita reviews back in February. This wokeness epidemic is a really bad thing. It's weird that it is very recent: when I joined this forum back in 2012 it didnt exist.

One interesting thing is that these woke critics think that they are progressive left wing types but then they show super conservative value that "movie directors who does taboo X is wrong and mentally ill", out of a very long list of taboos. It's like christian conservatives critizing a movie because it insults Jesus by depicting Christian symbols, except that never happens.

As for violence against women in the movie, it feels like the men had quite a bit of violence against them too. The guy who was torn apart by the dog, suffered a brutal death too, so I don't think Tarantino was being one sided about the violence, when it came to gender, was he?
This violence against women thing works in the following way: if you make a movie that shows 50 people being violently murdered by a male serial killer but one of these 50 is a women then SJW will cry "violence against women".

I wonder what SJW would think about some mangas/animes I know that focus almost exclusively on violence against women (PMMM for example shows dozens of deaths on screen, none of males, Higurashi also shows about 10 female deaths for each male). Clearly such kind of pieces of entertainment/art wouldn't be allowed to be made in the West these days.

I personally think that showing women being violently murdered is fundamentally feminist since it shows women taking a role that is mostly reserved for men: Feminism involves female agency of both killing and being killed.

Welcome to the human race...
I can see the point they are trying to make...I mean I was looking for the humorless female character who tells the male characters how dumb they are and it totally wasn't in the movie. Also when Brad Pitt went to the Manson family I didn't notice anyone of color what they couldn't find a single person of color to be in the Manson family. Also why was Charlie Manson played by a white dude get woke Hollywood why didn't they cast Octavia Spencer as Charlie Manson that would have made the film better in my eyes.

Finally you know I don't feel like I need to say this but the violence against women in this film was just so excessive I mean what did Susan Atkins do to deserve such a violent and demeaning death.
You could argue that the child actor who Rick works with at one point comes close, but that still doesn't fit some easy "SJW" stereotype for chuckleheads to rant against. As for the Manson family, it was my understanding that Manson himself was a white supremacist (he infamously got a swastika tattooed on his forehead, after all), so I'm not surprised that the cult he builds consists entirely of white people.

Anyway, like mark said, this is a regurgitated thread where a bunch of criticisms of the film got compiled into some easy rage-bait that draws out all the usual suspects to make the same old complaints and jokes. The word count thing is obviously a stupid approach regardless of sociopolitical outlook, though.

You could argue that the child actor who Rick works with at one point comes close, but that still doesn't fit some easy "SJW" stereotype for chuckleheads to rant against. As for the Manson family, it was my understanding that Manson himself was a white supremacist (he infamously got a swastika tattooed on his forehead, after all), so I'm not surprised that the cult he builds consists entirely of white people.

Anyway, like mark said, this is a regurgitated thread where a bunch of criticisms of the film got compiled into some easy rage-bait that draws out all the usual suspects to make the same old complaints and jokes. The word count thing is obviously a stupid approach regardless of sociopolitical outlook, though.

But if you look at real photographs of the Manson family, they all seem pretty white. So wasn't Tarantino just trying to be accurate?

Welcome to the human race...
Why would it? I've seen enough people use that argument in earnest that I can barely tell the difference anymore - the only reason I knew not to believe aronisred's post is because they already started a separate thread voicing a legitimate complaint about the Bruce Lee scene.

I don't think Tarantino's portrayal of Bruce Lee was perfect but it was pretty damn close

I think people are just uncomfortable with seeing an POC with an actual personality in a film.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Are Directors supposed to ret con the past to fit modern political trends?

I don't like Tarantino or most of his movies, BUT I fully support his right to make his movies anyway he wants. Critics who criticize his new movie as being sexist/racist/misogynistic, are only showing the hate they have for a high profile, successful white male middle age director. Their complaints only go to show their own personal bigotry towards white males, is very much a real thing.

If Tarantino was a woman and made the exact same damn film, not a single SJW would be whining about the movie. Instead they'd be praising a woman director for making such a creative and entertaining film.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I don't like Tarantino or most of his movies, BUT I fully support his right to make his movies anyway he wants. Critics who criticize his new movie as being sexist/racist/misogynistic, are only showing the hate they have for a high profile, successful white male middle age director. Their complaints only go to show their own personal bigotry towards white males, is very much a real thing.

If Tarantino was a woman and made the exact same damn film, not a single SJW would be whining about the movie. Instead they'd be praising a woman director for making such a creative and entertaining film.
Art is dead with all these "rules".. Don't these people who complain about this weak **** have priorities? When I look at all the world's problems, I never think "Movies", but they could be part of a solution, filling the holes of the soul with some nutrition.

I don't think Tarantino's portrayal of Bruce Lee was perfect but it was pretty damn close

I think people are just uncomfortable with seeing an POC with an actual personality in a film.
I know the guy who played Bruce Lee (Mike Moh) and he said that Tarantino just had him watch a bunch of martial arts movies and interviews like that to try to get the style of his fighting AND character... I don’t know what people find so offensive.